don't click here

What hazard do you hate the most in Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Volpino, Apr 23, 2010.

Which hazard do you hate the most in Sonic games?

1. Badniks/enemies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spikes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lava

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hazardous obstacles (Crushing blocks, tredmills leading into spikes, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bosses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bottomless pits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Water

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

test-object's worst nightmare. Member
    California
    lrning2hack
    I know exactly what you mean. I play horribly on levels with bottomless pits as well just because I'm so nervous.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    My nerve-trigger is actually crusher obstacles. It took me years to work up the courage to fight the final boss of Sonic 1 properly, despite knowing that the boss was easy as pie.

It'd be kind of sad if I had a phobia for bottomless pits, with the number of different platforming series I frequently play. They're rather common outside of classic Sonic.

3. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    In any game, my nerve-trigger is projectiles... Between the many enemies in Sonic games that use them, the archers in Zelda games (and my own bad aim) and the ninth boss in Shadow of the Colossus I hate projectiles now and forever, probably because my one confidence with enemies far away is "They're over there and I'm here."

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU...DIE!

...Oh...right explanation sorry. Whenever I was trying to do a speed run in metropolis zone that fucker always ruined my speedrun by:
    A) Knocking me off a cliff and making me redo parts of the level.
    or
    B) Making me lose my rings.

I will hate this fuck until the end of time. and hes in sonic 4! I have to fight this thing again.

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    There's a better way... :rolleyes:

I know how you feel though... I hate the Orbinaut, because the only one that can beat him is Sonic. (And I hate playing as Sonic. :argh:)

6. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Oh god yeah them things in Metropolis Zone on Sonic 2 which annoy the hell out of you! You know where it is and you try to avoid it by going over it.... it flings them things off and always seems to get you!!

7. oathsan

oathsan

Teh Biebes Member
    The hazard I always hated the most were the badniks especially Catakillers. >.< I would always jump on their backs and forget that they would split apart until it was too late. :(

8. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Bottomless pits and crushers for me.

It just makes me play more tense and nervous on a level.

Especially if the pits and crushers are very cheaply placed.

9. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    [​IMG]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF....!! :argh:

10. SU-Tempest

SU-Tempest

France
    The goddamned, snively-placed spike-ridden pit in Mystic Cave Zone that once got me stupidly. As Super Sonic. That is much much worse than outright dying in a bottomless pit or falling in this pit as regular Sonic. Because this is in this exact moment you realize Super Sonic and his, let's face it, cheap power in Sonic 2 IS NOT completely invincible.Nicely placed traps can kill better than any enormous mech or army of robots will never do. Get that, fat doc? For this simple trap, I recognize Mystic Cave to be one of the hardest stages of the game.

Not surprising that the next stage worthy of nightmares coming up in my mind is Oil Ocean. When I first discovered this stage, the danger here was oil. That's a much more dangerous enemy than water. More fuel than BP can ever release by blowing up 10 off-shore stations and you've got a hedgehog-killer. One drawback to this: if the stages themselves were more... spaced, open, with more gaps leading to the oil, then maybe it would be a deadlier enemy, as the zones go high enough and has enough paths for it to stay what it is: a ground-level problem that requires to be above it to survive.

A third example that just pops in my mind is a hazard that doesn't kill you, but just rots you to the time over: stages like Sandopolis Zone Act 2 have no bottomless pits but "infinite height" stages, where stage patterns just repeat vertically no matter how down you "fall", as if you reappear in the "uppermost". The darned sand carrier thingies made me hate this stage oh so much, even more so than Carnival Night's barrel. The danger wasn't a single part of a stage: it was the WHOLE stage. I found it hard to finish Act 2. Really hard, until I got how to do.

11. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I have to say its a tie between hazardous objects (especially things that can kill you in one hit, like a crushing block) and bottomless pits.

Seriously, anything that can kill SUPER SONIC IN ONE SHOT should auto-qualify as most deadly Sonic obstacle.

Bottomless pits weren't so bad in the Genesis days... not as much as things that could crush you. And in rare cases, one being Marble Garden Zone in S3&K, you would actually have cleared that crushing spike crusher thingy, and the game would glitch and be like, "lolnoudidnt, die plz."

Bottomless pits didn't become a big issue until after Genesis imo. Like, they existed in the Genesis games, but there were all the more common after that. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a single 3D Sonic level that doesn't have a bottomless pit in it. And I feel as though it was the worst in Sonic Heroes, but that's just me.

Honestly, the Metropolis badniks aren't even that bad anymore. They definitely gave hell to pay back in the day when I first played the game, but it's been years now. I effectively know how to avoid the hazards of those badniks.

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    insta-kill water. If SRB2 can get the water segments right, why can't Sega?

13. I don't like Badniks, especially ones that are tough to hit without losing your rings first (Metropolis Zone).

But nothing is worse than building up a ton of speed, hitting a Speed Shoes box, getting even more speed, and then careening off into a bottomless pit.

14. I'll second this. I absolutely hate Sandopolis Act 2. Forget the ghosts, if you can't figure out that sand slide, the timer becomes the most dangerous hazard. I lost count how many Time Overs I got in that act.

On a related note, I also despise Final Rush/Chase from Sonic Adventure 2. If missing the rails and falling into the abyss doesn't kill you, the Artificial Chaos will. I had so much trouble with those levels that I abandoned the game for nearly a month.

15. CptScoot

CptScoot

Lincoln, UK
    learning c#
    Bottomless pits any day. It is the only thing Sonic can't in some way work his way out of; alot of them are placed in just the worst spots too and you get caught off-guard which is just plain cheap. Essentially they are the most powerful of enemies in Sonic and they are far too frequent and a lot of the time - based on Sonic's multi-level gameplay - it's had to tell when and where they are and you will fall hoping for the screen to scroll to a platform and instead you've just plummeted to your doom. So essentially, bottomless pits are damned annoying. I hate them.

16. I find that water is my main problem in Sonic games. I can deal with everything else, but I really hate the water. I think it's all down to Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 for my hatred of it. That bit where you have to jump on the moving blocks while the water/chemical stuff rises up over you. I would always die there when I was younger. I can get past it without too many problems now, but since that day, I've had this hatred for water in Sonic games

17. Zepp

Zepp

I laugh when I end up hitting the crushing blocks in Advance 3's Cyber Track. I can't seem to remember where they are.

I wouldn't say I hate the hazards in Sonic games - they make you pay attention so you can aim to avoid them one way or another, which can be a good challenge in my opinion. They can be irritating at times, but I've always found them enjoyable overall. Not saying I prefer instant death with water in Sonic games, of course.

18. Final light

Final light

Banned
    canada
    S2HD octus sprite, Sonic 2 Final light
    That spike pit in mystic cave zone. :argh: I have fallen down that at least once every time I play that game.

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I hate all the random crap that was put in the way of your path that stops you suddenly - which is bad in a game about speed. This includes but is not limited to:

Spikes (which is what I voted for)
    Rocks
    Monitors
    Badniks

20. The main hazard I hate is that bloody spike pity from Mystic Cave Act 2 from Sonic 2. We all know the one.

Secondarily though I hate crushing hazards the most, particularly the pistons in the Metropolis Zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.