don't click here

Unused Omochao Comments in Sonic Riders

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ~The Blue Blur~, May 11, 2016.

1. ~The Blue Blur~

~The Blue Blur~

Hello there, Sonic Retro community. How're you doing? First of all, thank you all for allowing me to be a part of you! Really appreciate it. Okay, without any hesitations, let's get to it:

Since I didn't find anything about this anywhere on the internet, I decided to post about it here:

Has anyone ever bothered to go and check the voice clips for Omochao? Well, I did. And trust me, YOU'LL HATE YOURSELF AFTER DOING THIS. There are many, many unused voice comments in the files, showing that Omochao was supposed to be MUCH more annoying than what we see. I've explained this more detailed on TCRF. So I'll post just a summary here. Here's what I found out by wandering through a total of 912 voice clips:

1) Omochao is an asshole; but he was going to be even worse!

Omochao usually comments about landing tricks, buiiiiilding momentum, drifting, etc. But present in the clips are many unused voice clips of him commenting about thing like change of positions, breaking at the wrong time, getting to (and being) the leader, holding up (or letting down) guard, running out of air, running to an air pit (before, as well as after, running out of air) attacking (as well as being attacked by) other opponents, creating turbulence, tornado, or even not attempting to start!!!

There are two kinds of comments: General, and Character-Based; both of which have unused clips. General comments are the comments that don't include any character's name, and use pronouns whenever needed. For comments with pronouns, there are two voice clips; one for male characters, and one with the same name, but with a "_W" added to the end for female characters.

The full list can be seen at TCRF page (That is, IF anyone wants).

2) Omochao's Tutorial??!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's right. A playable tutorial with Omochao as the host; similar to what we saw in Free Riders. Among the files are voice clips of Omochao explaining the basics and controls. They are as following:

• E_Live_083: When the countdown reaches zero, the electric shock barrier will disappear. Time your running start to hit the starting line just as the barrier disappears.
    • E_Live_084: Press the directional pad during a trick-jump to rotate in various directions. The more you spin, the more air you can get.
    • E_Live_084_W: Press the left thumb stick during a trick-jump to rotate in various directions. The more you spin, the more air you can get.
    • E_Live_086: Press left and right to move your character.
    • E_Live_087: Hold down the A button to charge your jump. Release the A button at the right time for an optimal jump.
    • E_Live_088: To drift, press left or right while holding down the L button or R button. You'll also be able to perform sharper turns.
    • E_Live_089: To grind, after you jump by pressing the A button, press the A button again at the right time on a rail.
    • E_Live_090: Press the B button to dash.
    • E_Live_091: Hold down the B button to launch an attack. Then, make contact with an opponent to hurt 'em.
    • E_Live_092: Hold down the A button to charge your jump. Release the A button at the right time for an optimal jump.
    • E_Live_093: To drift, press left or right with the left trigger or right trigger held down. You'll also be able to perform sharper turns.
    • E_Live_094: To grind, after you jump by pressing the A button, press the A button again at the right time on a rail.
    • E_Live_095: Press the B button to dash.
    • E_Live_096: Hold down the B button to launch an attack. Then, make contact with an opponent to hurt 'em.
    • E_Live_097: Hold down the X button to charge your jump. Release the X button at the right time for an optimal jump.
    • E_Live_098: To drift, press left or right with the L1 button or R1 button held down. You can turn more sharply than usual.
    • E_Live_099: To grind, after you jump by pressing the X button, press the X button again at the right time on a rail.
    • E_Live_100: Press the Circle button to dash.
    • E_Live_101: Hold down the Circle button to launch an attack. Then, make contact with an opponent to hurt 'em.

The interesting note is that the button layouts for every platform exists in the files; as with other multiplatform games. This shows that the tutorial idea was present through much of the development, and dropped somewhere late in development. Also, notice how the tutorial separates the "Attack" and "Dash" techniques. Looks like there was a completely different mechanism for dashing and attacking, where by pressing the B/Circle button, you would dash, and with holding it, you would attack; instead of just a multi-purpose "Boost" function.

Since this topic is about Sonic Riders, I'd like to ask a question:

Has anyone ever attempted to fix the bugs on the PC version? I've listed a handful of bugs (along with comparison images and everything) on the TCRF. The bugs are Character's fixed pupils and misplaced mouth on the game's non-CG cutscenes, no BGM volume down, etc. It would be great to see the best version in visuals with all of the bugs fixed.

And that's about it. I'm still very glad to share these info with you guys. So, what are your thoughts?

P.S.: Since the forum account and the wiki account aren't linked, could I ask for an account for the wiki? Thanks.

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I created an account for you on the wiki. You should receive an email with login instructions.

By the way, the topic title is a bit misleading, since it implies you've actually created a hack that makes Omochao more annoying instead of simply discussing the unused voice clips. I don't remember if trial members can edit the title, but if you want me to change it, let me know.

3. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Yes, I did a number of years ago.

It shows how much people care about Riders (very little, myself included).
    The tutorial lines were something I noticed, but I just assumed I sucked too hard to unlock whatever stage they corresponded to, so I never bothered mentioning them here. :v:

4. ~The Blue Blur~

~The Blue Blur~

Sorry for the late reply; I don't want to waste my precious posts on some one-or-two line replies.

So, it was you who put all that info on SCHG, huh? When I was searching for somewhere with info about these voices, I came across that section of the wiki. I actually wanted to mention their presence there, but I forgot in the end.

Besides, I actually like Riders (not just the game, but the whole series; I've played them all), and completed the first game 3 times (twice on the PC, once on the PS2), with every gear collected, every character unlocked, and I assure you that there is simply nothing even close to a playable tutorial stage like that.

Looks like you're right; I can't edit the title. Sorry, but could I ask you to change it to something else; like... I don't know... Sonic Riders: Omochao's Tutorial, or, Unused Omochao Comments in Sonic Riders, or... whatever you might see fit? After all, you've been here for a longer time than me. Thanks in return.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Edited topic title.