don't click here

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Ha, Yasuhara knows a surprising amount about the Sonic Scene.

And if you ask me, calling ARZ "Neo Green Hill" could have been done by pirates, the same guys who caused the Sega logo to display after beating the boss. But then Sonic Advance used that name for it's first zone (that looked nothing like Green Hill), so it could have been a working name (the corrupted title card doesn't speak of a real decision).

2. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    (Posted a news post on the front page about this, by the way)

Neo Green Hill zone could simply be tied to the fact that, in the Nick Arcade Beta, they had Green Hill Zone itself in there. So perhaps they went to build a new version of it using the Sonic 2 engine alone... ...hence you get them nicknaming ARZ "Neo Green Hill Zone." I doubt it was a zone entirely separate from ARZ, mostly because it makes sense in front of that zone's name, rather than the weird and obviously placeholder name 'Dust Hill Zone' for a cave area. Even when it was believed that Dust Hill Zone wasn't a desert one, I simply thought it'd apply to some other prototype level. So I didn't really 'know it', but it was obvious they used it for... something.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Nope.

Besides other obvious reasons, that scan came from the Sega Gold Guide (or whatever it was called) and it was written by a former Sega of Europe employee who would have no reason to use a pirated rom to make the book.

Still, I wonder if this thing about the name dust hill is true or not. He could have easily done a google search for "Dust Hill Zone" and came up with the desert picture.

4. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  5. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Here it comes :colbert:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...=1967&st=15

Iceknight said otherwise here... hmmm

6. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Obviously Wetflame and Yasuhara are the same person.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Oh, I thought that was from the beta.
    If Yasuhara can't settle this dispute, who can?

8. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Yeah, lol. It's not the first time a minority suddenly turns into a majority. It just goes to show how threads like the other one really surpress people's opinions.

Just to DOUBLY CONFIRM this would it be possible to show him the MCZ being called Dust Hill Zone and ask him how that happened?

9. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    If you google image search for Dust Hill you get a lot of things including Winter Zone and Sonic XG... I think he knew what he was talking about. The google search just would have confused him.

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    God, if you're going to keep arguing about this, then I'm just gonna pretend nothing of this happened and start thinking this topic should be locked >_> Seriously, I'm not going to try a chat with Yasuhara only to see if he's saying the truth or he just made a quick Google search. Now stop.

EDIT: agreed with Quexinos. And huge post clash o_O

11. Wetflame

Wetflame

Come to think of it, have we ever seen a title card with "Dust Hill Zone" on it?

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I don't really care one way or another, I was just pointing out that he could have easily forgotten the name of the desert level, done a google search and saw the desert pictures.

Though with two devs telling use that Dust Hill = Desert Zone, maybe it is true? Who knows.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, Naka, of course... but if you keep attributing everything the developers say to bad memory and put more credence towards what you think the truth is, then you're never going to get the answers to what you want to know.

At this point, Dust Hill is a fitting and logically attributed name to the Desert Zone. We have confirmation from Yasuhara, who both described what "Dust Hill" meant in regards to Sonic 2's development and pointed out the Zone in a lineup. You can do the same with anyone else who would know this answer and you'd get the same results.

Honestly, it's not like we said "Dust Hill = Desert" throughout the whole questioning phase. Yasuhara has the capability to think, reason, and recall memory on his own. He's not stupid. Brenda Ross was obviously indifferent—she said that herself—but nowhere here did Yasuhara doubt his memory regarding this subject. This is solid confirmation.

No, we haven't. Though I think if Neo Green Hill had the potential to be mistakenly plastered over Aquatic Ruin (as you've mentioned), then it's entirely possible that Dust Hill could have been slapped over a Mystic Cave title card as well.

[quote post='224861' date='Sep 13 2008, 06:14 PM']God, if you're going to keep arguing about this, then I'm just gonna pretend nothing of this happened and start thinking this topic should be locked >_> Seriously, I'm not going to try a chat with Yasuhara only to see if he's saying the truth or he just made a quick Google search. Now stop.[/quote]
    Chill out, dude. Nobody is asking about more confirmation—there's no need for it. We're just having a discussion. =P

14. Wetflame

Wetflame

Also you seem to get as much Mystic Caves Zone pictures as Desert Zone when you google Dust Hill.

It's really amazing how much one man's theory overtook everything else.

15. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    In the earliest prototype I have that has title cards it says Mystic Cave despite being Dust Hill on the level select

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Come to think about it...

I went back to reread some of the interviews, and when "desert zone" was mentioned, Brenda automatically said "Dust Hill". This was a interview done in 2001 by Deviance (see it here), which means this might be the first interview done with her, correct?

Punch me if someone already knew about this - or if I'm wrong. :colbert:

17. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    This is stupid. I'd like to think Yasuhara would say so if he couldn't recall instead of looking it up on Google like anybody could.

Apart from that, ICEKnight's old theory about Mystic Cave's title card is bogus- Neo Green Hill having that title card just proves they were close to using that name, nothing else. Until someone comes up with a screenshot of Mystic Cave's title card saying Dust Hill, it's a moot point.

18. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    No. ICEKnight assumed there that because there was a title card shown and the level select had "Dust Hill Zone", then MCZ would have that title card as well. However, that was before drx got us that gigantic prototype stash. Now that we have Beta 4, we can clearly see that the S1-style level select was never updated, even with all the final names implemented on the title cards.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiable

In other words, if we're going to claim that the guys involved in the project don't know what they're talking about, then the whole debate is moot in the first place, and there's really no reason to believe that any information on the subject is right. The magazine articles were done by people who honestly likely knew only as much or less than we did before Yasuhara was contacted.

20. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Stupid question - Couldn't this have been proven by the <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Image:Sgmakingof5.jpg" title="Possible proof no one looked at...?">1992 Sega Guide Sonic 2 Feature</a> ?It mentions Dust Hill aas it's own level and says Mystic Cave below the screenshot of Mystic Cave.