don't click here

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I hate to sound pessimistic , but I recently heard SEGA trashed that giant room with all the goodies... kind of disappointing, since a lot of of betas seemed to have been in there. =/

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    They mostly did work on Amigas.

Also, to people asking about various Sonic 2 builds.

I know of several unreleased Sonic 2 builds that exist physically. E.g. there is a post-NA build with MCZ in it, and a more complete HTZ. There's also a very late alpha out there (almost beta). Etc. Usually when I mention these people say 'Man, Sonic 2 is boring, bring us Sonic 1/3 prototypes!'

=P

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    By the way, I've been redoing the zone slot table on my little timeline test for stuff like this: User:MK/timeline#Zone_slotsMay not be of much use, but I just wanted to mention it as it gets brought up a lot

4. Twilight

Twilight

Michigan
    A Sonic the Hedgehog hack
    I don't think Sonic 2 is boring, drx. I'd love to see those builds dumped.

5. Acaeris

Acaeris

Sugarcube... Member
    hmm, that complicates things. I was wondering if they might have used something similar (though not the same) as the TeraDrive thing for development testing but if the coding was done on Amiga then it's unlikely it'd be read by an IBM of any description and I doubt they took Sega had the time or cash to try developing an Amiga based version... oh well, that's that out of my head at least :)

I still don't think the prototypes we've seen were for internal testing though. We've got two non QA (Note: I consider internal testing to be done by the programmers themselves, traditionally, QA has been done by temps who don't necessarily know any programming language) betas and both were used for publicity purposes.

[EDIT Removed odd duplicated text]

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    People suck. I'd love more Sonic 2 prototypes =D
    Are they even possible to obtain or has that ship sailed?

7. Twilight

Twilight

Michigan
    A Sonic the Hedgehog hack
    I'd really like to see the post-NA build. Is there anything else that's interesting about it? Do you know what the level select looks like?

8. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    This is just a guess, but it could have been the level slots were extended first from s1, and then they slowly worked on each zone - so dust hill may have never been playable even if its slot was at some point created.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I don't really remember anything else that stood out. The lava in HTZ worked. I've got some pics of it buried on my drive, but I can't access that right now (borked PC etc)

Edit: I'm gonna see if I can boot the HDD somewhere and find those pics, later.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Well, I think mostly a Sonic 2 prototype with the cut levels would be interesting and worth spending money on. A slightly more complete Nick arcade proto won't be that interesting in comparison to a proto such as that.

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Indeed, both of these sound very interesting. = ) If either of these is in a position to be obtained, I'd totally donate some cash to HPZ to go toward their acquisition.

Also, to the people suggesting Neo Green Hill Zone to be intended as a possible Emerald Hill Zone name rather than Aquatic Ruin Zone, remember that as shown in the SEGA Solid Gold Guide, Aquatic Ruin definitely had a title card reading "Neo Green Hill Zone" at one point. I know we've established that the Level Select text cannot be trusted as an accurate source due to it not being updated in several instances, but since the title card and level select text are unrelated surely they wouldn't bother to implement a title card that used a name not intended for the Zone in question? After all, QA Beta 4's title cards do not correspond to the level select in the case of MCZ, ARZ and WFZ, since they have earlier / incorrect names listed in the level select which were ignored when creating the title cards.

That said, I guess the only way to be sure would be to acquire a prototype between the Wai prototype and QA Beta 4 - if, for example, Mystic Cave had a title card reading "Dust Hill Zone" in such a build, then it'd certainly lend credence to the theory that the name "Neo Green Hill Zone" was not intended for Aquatic Ruin: in light of the new information from Yasuhara regarding Dust Hill Zone, it would show that they had implemented another Zone's title card using an incorrect name, meaning the same situation could have occurred with EHZ and ARZ.

Apologies if I'm being an idiot - don't hesitate to point out any flaws in my reasoning. After all, we all live and learn. = )

BTW, mad props to the people who contacted Yasuhara and got the info about Dust Hill Zone being the intended name for the desert Zone.

12. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

It'd be cool if you could try to track them down. Post-NA/PRE-WAI, and POST-WAI/PRE-BETA 4 builds would give us more insight to the development of Sonic 2, duh, even little things like the constant re-working of CNZ's art is fascinating to me.

13. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    It's unlikely. Metropolis 3 has been in there so long, before Genocide City made it into the level select(yeah I know level selects suck but still it might old some significance). It was probably another idea for a Zone they scrapped(Cyber City? Could be anything).

Well so far even with the Nick Arcade beta we haven't really found much new. Whereas with Sonic 1 especially we have no idea what could be in there. Wasn't there that thing about a there being a construction zone or something like that?

I wouldn't mind seeing them though just on the off chance they do have something in it. But I'm sticking to my "temporary build just to test the level art out" theory.

14. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Wait you don't have dumps do you?

15. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    ...If he had dumps of them, don't you think he would've distributed them already? drx isn't a hoard fag.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  17. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Err no I didn't mean to imply that Drx was hoarding anything. I just thought maybe he didn't feel they were worth dumping or that he thought we wouldn't be interested.

Anyways... if that Yasuhara thing ever works out, we should ask about the gray Sonic death that appears in Sonic 1-3. Or did someone figure that out?

18. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    No, I have magazine scans from an European magazine. I suspect that prototype is now in Florida.

19. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    ROAD TRIP!...

or not..

and yeah sorry I hope I didn't offend you with my question. I didn't mean anything by it >_>

20. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    There is never anything wrong in asking. The problem is, some people are obnoxious in addition to the asking :P