don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Because playing the game in debug mode solely, and not in normal mode would really be how the casual player would go through the game.

2. CloverCC

CloverCC

Hey.. When I was much younger, I played the gamegear Sonic 2, though instantly discarding it during Sky High Zone, as I could never master the glider thingie.. Anyways, now that I'm better at it, I decided to give it another try, so I was just zooming (Figuritive, and litterally) through the game, and now brings up my question..

Has anyone else besides me notice Green Hills' Song is pretty much the exact same as Sonic CD's Toot Toot sonic warrior? I mean, play Gamegear's Sonic the hedgehog 2, find an mp3 of Green Hills, or whatever.. Listen to it, maybe humm the lyrics/words to toot toot sonic warrior, and we got a match..

Also, It came to my notice that one of the Sonic Drift Gamegear games' invincibility song is Toot Toot Sonic Warrior.. I forgot which one of the two. I just thought it'd be pretty neat, on the count..

But anyways, what Interests me most about the music similarities between Green Hills and Toot Toot' is that it was originally Green Hills' Song, since Sonic 2 GG was released about 1 year BEFORE Sonic CD.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The song "You Can Do Anything" has been used in both Sonic 2 Green Hills Zone and Sonic Chaos Mecha Green Hill Zone.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    :x

Sorry Cinossu. :(

5. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    How the hell did I just end up in 2001?

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've never seen anybody say anything about it, but if you finish a level in Sonic 3 or S&K, etc. you get a 100,000 (!) point bonus if you finish at exactly 9:59 seconds. Some other games have similar extra bonuses (GG Sonics especially) for that, since it's right before you die, but nowhere near as dramatic.

7. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    This one is probably known already, but - Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles use the sonic 2 'rotate running' sprites when running up vertical tubes (like the tree in Angel Island) but not horizontal ones. Which is kind of interesting since the sprite had to be redrawn slightly for the reduced blues in the sonic3k palette.

8. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    In Sonic 3 , there's a glitch in MG Act2 where you can make the game do either 3 things after you move Sonic on the spinning platform to the top of the screen stage thing. It's sorta like you're running through the part of stage and automatically just moves.

After some point, jumping off the platform can make you go to a black screen with End of Act music playing and restarts at the beginning of Act2 or your last checkpoint, makes the stage f'd up and you can get caught in a spot where you either die getting squashed or til time runs out , or go through Knuckles path and beat his boss instead of Robotnik.(you might need a good shield powerup to get you up those slopes and stuff)

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Can you show pictures? I'm having trouble understanding exactly where this occurs.

10. Peruant

Peruant

Would work better if I had recorded it cause words aren't enough. But I will have it done soon.

11. Peruant

Peruant

(Double post cause I can't edit my post )
    Well I have the videos uploaded on Youtube now so go ahead and look. Hopefully that should clear up some confusion. Except the Knuckles boss because I recall using Hyper Sonic to get through the areas to reach the boss.

MGZ - Black Screen
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6HeEHEKZ-aA
    MGZ - Level Messing Up
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=hBEtJnKrjYw

Also if you want to experiment more on it , I got a savestate at the beginning of Act 2 with a fire shield.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Something similar can be done with Hyper Sonic in S3K, I found out. It may have been posted somewhere before, but I've only seen it in S&K collection guides.

Also, if you jump on top of the self-destruct machine and stay up there (easy with the lightning shield as Sonic) the drill bit doesn't destroy any blocks.

13. Peruant

Peruant

Nineko has done something similar to my videos but he actually went through the walls and floor.

Well I got another one and its in HCZ. If you go beyond the Act2 boss, you can clear the act by touchin the capsule but you will stay in the win pose indefinitely.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WvQuROLx0l8

14. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel

Wow, that "mix" really sounds great.
    Funny

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Been looking over the info on the site proper, and I recalled seeing the bit on the Skeleton bullet point in the one strategy guide blurb.

Anyway, it says that Knuckles' Jamaican accent cannot be confirmed.

What if the accent was used to a degree in ANOTHER, official S&K strategy guide by BradyGames? Would this be sufficient? I still have it at home, good news, for scanning and such. The bad news is that since I'm away at college I can't just up and get them. Anybody else seen this one and have any scans?

This is the book in question.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I just saw your videos, very good stuff.

Yeah, but this happens only in Sonic 3, they fixed it in S3&K iirc. The initial lack of a screen lock for the boss arena screwed up a couple of speedruns I was doing D:
    I think I released a video about this, but I'm not sure. I made so many!

Also, I want to post something that maybe is old knowledge, but isn't posted anywhere (at least, I didn't find it).
    Have you ever noticed that Sonic 1's title screen is off-centered? I mean, the whole ribbon and wings thing, it's a bit on the left.

17. CloverCC

CloverCC

hey, I have that strategy book. I just can't find it, I got it a while ago (When it turns out I got the wrong one.. I was stuck on Carnival Night's up-and-down barrel things from sonic 3). But anyways, yeah, I heard the rumour long ago of knuckles originally having a jamaican accent.. Yes, it's very-well protrayed in the strategy book.

There would usually be a 'knuckles caption' thing every few pages, giving you hints on minor areas not really stated within the actual level guide or whatever. It's like a small section of its' own, with a knuckles drawing standing near it. It would always state something along the lines of "Aye mon, don't forget that...." or somesort.

The whole strategy book is actually pretty unique.. Besides having small screencaps of levels/areas in which the book is talking about, It's got these really neat in-depth/3D drawings.. Like, sonic standing on the teleporter thing in the hidden palace that would send you to sky sanctuary, The lava reef "boss" (That weird hand and those wavey ball things), random poses of sonic, some other bosses, many enemies (There are many, but I can only remember a few at the top of my head: The spinningtop-like thing from the Death egg, the mouse from flying battery, and that tank-thing that shoots things out of it's nose from flying battery, the scorpian thing from sandopolis, and those jumping sandstone things from sandopolis). I'll try to look for the book right now.

18. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

In the S3DBlast E3 Demo, I dunno if it has been mentioned before, but Rusty Ruins Zone act 1 music is shorter than in the final.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Actually, that's true for act 2 as well. Apparently because they use the same freaking track.
    Also Diamond Dust and Volcano Valley / Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet. I have no idea if the second act tracks or anything are in the ROM or what.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Volcano Valley's track is in the ROM, albeit horribly incomplete. It's not used for that reason.