don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    God DAMN this is good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrQ7G_cJjU

2. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Naoto Ohshima posted this on Twitter. A picture of Ray, Mighty, Sonic, Vector and Max (yes, he said he's called Max)

[​IMG]

3. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Unsure if this has been talked about before but I'd like some clarification.
    I was watching old episodes of Gamesmaster and I came across an episode which previews Sonic 2. A few things grabbed my attention. The big standout was the music slowdown, which bears similar resemblance to PAL Sonic 1. The footage and sound however plays in real time (the clock moves in real time unlike PAL Sonic 1).

Secondly, are the black background title cards possible in-game or is it part of an effect? Also Emerald Hill is still Green Hill in this preview.

Finally, at the 10:28 mark, Sonic slows down to almost a a complete drop where I would usually think the momentum would carry him at least a little. Would this be due to the Speed Shoes wearing off and/or the player holding left as they drop off that cliff?

Footage starts at 10:05

http://youtu.be/9iP3ySOKV9I

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The swooping looks hardware accurate. Early title card in the style of Sonic 1's, cut off before the fade-in?

5. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Max is also a parrot, apparently.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Mighty is literally Shadow.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Ray looks unwell.

This is bloody sigificant stuff though - I hope someone is uploading these things to the wiki~~

8. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    ...I didn't get the nominal connection between Ray and Vector until now. Maybe I'm stretching, though.

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

Is there any trace of Vector or Max on the files for the Segasonic arcade? From those rweets it seems they were planned to appear on it but were dropped along the way.

10. Pengi

Pengi

This looks to be Chaotix era. You can tell from Mighty's shoes.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god... What in the world was that lineup for?? Was that a Sonic Chaotix concept even before Tails and Knuckles existed? That could explain why the Sonic Crackers sprites are based on Sonic 1/CD.

Also, Ray's already redesigned shoes (similar to Mighty's) and Mighty's lankiness suggest that this artwork wasn't made available to the Mania team, which bothers me a little since they should have been given automatic access to any available Mighty and Ray concepts.

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Perhaps they were originally going to use that roster on Chaotix, before they decided to replace Mighty, Ray and Max with Tails, Knuckles and new characters. Then they brought back Mighty to fill in for Sonic when they decided to remove Sonic and Tails.

So the lineup's history may have gone something like this:

Sonic, Ray, Mighty, Vector and Max -> Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Vector, Espio and Charmy -> Knuckles, Espio, Mighty, Vector and Charmy

13. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    The art is from a Chaotix era, most likely. The Vector art is almost 1-1 to the artwork used in Chaotix, and Mighty's head is as well.

[​IMG]

Maybe Max was a proto-Charmy, being able to fly around, and Ray wsa a proto-Knuckles or Espio? Possibly VERY early in the "Lets make a shit ton of Sonic games, quick, what characters can we make or use?" which probably happened in the middle of 1992 / 1993.

14. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    It really looks like that's a case of the air speed cap kicking in.

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    What does the Japanese text at the top of the drawing say? Sonic of...?

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Sonic's Friends

Doesn't take much to run things through Google Translate, lads

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Charmy Bee dates back to the Sonic the Hedgehog manga series, which would have pre-dated SegaSonic arcade.

Although... the idea of a bird with shades is thought to have pre-dated Sonic himself, so it's a bit confusing:

http://info.sonicretro.org/File:GD_Sonic1_Concept_Sonic_02.png

This is a genuine issue - a lot of Japanese Sonic stuff between 1991 and 1994 is blending together a bit now, and I'm getting confused between what was specifically designed for the first game, the manga, SegaSonic arcade and Chaotix. I'd prefer not to have to re-write half the wiki on my own.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No but in this case it'd require typing out the phrase which might not be the easiest thing to do if not familiar with Japanese characters.

Also funny how all these initial characters had varying heights, but in the end everyone ended up being pretty much the same size :v: I didn't realize that Mighty was supposed to be taller than Sonic.

19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Non-EN chars are also disabled in Windows (7 at least) by default, and Linux requires installing additional packages sooooo

20. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I literally just pointed my phone at the screen and took a photo in the Translate app. I can't read kanji either. :)