don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Toys R Us, Reading; 7th Jan 2012

[​IMG]

Not really a knowledge thing so much as a as a "Here's what this place had"...

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    My local Home Bargains is doing those Money Banks at £2 a pop. Awesomeness, I bought one each for myself and my 10 year old nephew.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Your place is loaded with the 10 inch Classic Sonics! I still haven't been able to find one; lucky!

4. Yeah, when I found a couple at my Toys R Us, I just couldn't stay away. I HAD TO HAVE ONE.

Keep looking though. I'm sure one will turn up soon!

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHX8dvuFUQ

Dear god I want it all. I haven't seen soo much sonic merch since the 90s! god I love this new era were in now I felt that since colors we haven't been in the bottom of the pit of dispair we have been in since heroes released. this just proves were on some kind of uptrack again.

Were slowly crawling back folks!

[/positivity]

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Not sure how known this tidbit is, since it doesn't appear in the trivia for Sky Chase, but according to BrainScratchComms (and it does indeed seem to be the case), a Sonic R-esque Classic Sonic is used while Sonic is stood upon the plane. Also, you guys have a picture of it, which is why I'm a bit confused as to how known this is...

It's probably very known, though I still wonder why it's not even footnoted...

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    We've talked about the low poly Sonic model many times in the past. They did it for optimization purposes, as far as we can tell. (I believe in Sonic Adventure DX the sonic-plane mode is that from the Dreamcast version, but I could be wrong)

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Wouldn't he still have green eyes and Adventure shoe textures then? They added a mouth as far as I can see, so I don't see why they'd miss the green eyes at least?

Ah well, either way, never mind and ignore my lack of Retro forum knowledge.

9. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    The low-poly "Jam" models were originally used for the entirety of both levels, even the close-ups in Act 2's transformation sequence. They later made it so higher poly versions which match the level of detail in the rest of the game are used during that sequence, because otherwise it would look a little ridiculous. The original sequence still made it into an early commercial, though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q_LEnqXH4M[/youtube]

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Subsequently, SADX uses the original SA1 models in Sky Chase, don't they?

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nope. Skip at little into this video. It's the only I could find that wasn't horribly LQ.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muc5OI4d-s4[/youtube]

12. Espyo

Espyo

Portugal, Porto, some street
    A Pikmin fan engine - Pikifen (https://pikminfanon.com/Pikifen)
    Heh, just as I thought. I'd post about the ARZ2 raft here, and half of you would know about it, while the other half would "wow".

Wait, what? My mind still hasn't recovered from ARZ2's raft; you have to be joking.

[​IMG]
    Well fuck. Oil Ocean Zone act 2. Follow the debug coordinates.
    What other kind of secret rafts have been hidden from us for over 19 years?

13. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Two random, Knuckles-related observations I made when playing Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity the other day.

First, I believe Team Sonic's opening cutscene is pretty much the only cutscene in the entire series where Knuckles' ability to glide had been so much as acknowledged. :psyduck:

Second, for some reason, they forgot to add reflection to Knuckles' eyes in the final cutscene in the Babylon story, which makes it look like all those shitty texture/model imports where people don't think to bake reflection on at least.

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'm under the impression it doesn't matter if folk already know a thing posted here, so here goes.

I got Sonic Spinball on cartridge the other day for a measly £2, which is beyond awesome since I hardly see Megadrive games out in the wild these days. Anyways, I was playing it to 'christen' the cartridge as it were (don't judge. Personal ritual) and I was doing a little terribly, probably very rusty. I mean, I can usually get all the way to the fourth stage without losing a life. But anyway, I digress. Got to the second boss, the Robo-Boiler, and I sucked. Absolutely. After every single head I destroyed, right down the middle to the bit where you have to swing on a chain over the lava to escape.

IT WASN'T THERE THE THIRD TIME! Holy crap, I wasn't aware that ever happened. So anyway, just sharing with you how I suck enough to find out about a thing I'd never seen.

It balances out, I already knew about the Aquatic Ruin and Oil Ocean raft-platforms. :3

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...You guys didn't know about that one, either? :(

You need to stop having lives and play more Sonic.

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    It gets to me that people did not know about the detachable platforms in Sonic 2. :(

Well, on another related note, but Sonic 2 8-bit instead:

::Sonic 2 8-bit::
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

::Sonic 4 Episode 2::
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They are not new badniks; they are badniks/bosses from an obscure game, with a modern redesign. The Boar badnik is the boss from Gimmick Mountain Zone. The Seal badnik is the boss from Aqua Lake Zone.

The Sonic 2 8-bit bosses never had official English names (only translations from their original Japanese names), so they went ahead and gave them names this time. :)

Sonic 2... ... Sonic 4 Episode 2...

Get it?

17. corneliab

corneliab

Yeah, no. Those are extremely loose comparisons. So much so that I'd actually be surprised if the designers had that game in mind AT ALL when they were drafting up those enemies.

18. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    You could say that about the Seal enemy, and I would even agree. But saying that the Boar enemies are "extremely loose comparisons" is an immeasurably stretch! The refferences are plain obvious, right in the face of whoever looks at them. The color scheme, for starters, the car design with round back. Heck, even the wheel's design screams "in your face."

Perhaps this with this, or this with this, are examples of "solid" comparisons then?

19. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Looks less like copies of the original badniks/bosses and more like they just happened to create badniks themed around the same animals. Some of the little incidental similarities (like a warthog enemy having a round back and red color scheme) could even be chalked up to that.

I wouldn't call the wheels "In your face" either, since there's plenty of Badniks on wheels and the 8-bit one has different-looking wheels as well as less of them. Honestly, they evoked the Sonic 2 Beta Gator more than anything for me.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I can't believe you seriously think they're the same thing. The similarities end at the species.