don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Johnny released his video today

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm still hoping this gets off the ground, since this is a totally worthy thing to petition for.

However, I think the main thing that's keeping this from launching off is the amount of dismay everyone has for it being a mobile game. Over half the comment sections to these videos consist of people nagging (and all mostly unanimously) agreeing that it should be released on consoles/PC instead of smartphones and tablets, and not understanding why those previous games were released only on mobile to begin with, thus also not understanding that this isn't counting those releases out either. It's one part of this campaign's image that I think makes people stop reading and immediately move on instead of signing the petition.

It's just sad. 4000 signatures isn't bad, but it's not necessarily great, either (which I know you all know). Not saying it should / would ever reach 90K signatures like the "Modern Warfare 2 remaster" thing going around has in the past few days, but we'd definitely have more than we have now if there was more clarity on the subject, and how if we support it enough it may get attention beyond mobile. Then again, I know not to spread false promises on it, so that may be the catch-22 to it all, but still IDK. Something's gotta give so that people 'get' the campaign better.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    MW2 came out last gen why is there a need to do anything with it?

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Who knows. It's a stupid petition for a game that really never left, yet that's the outer rim of the gaming community for ya.

But I digress. S3K remastered may not get up to 90K, but I hope we can at least reach 45-50 if everything becomes clear enough and the push is strong.

5. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    To be honest I'd rather have a remastered Sonic 3 at all. Of course I would prefer it on consoles or computers but just having the game release at all would be fantastic on its own.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, of course, most of us here would agree. The issue is that it's extremely obvious to anyone just taking a glance that this is a mobile game, and a huge portion of the dedicated and old-school gamers that we need will dismiss it outright as soon as they see that. But there's really not much we can do about while still being honest, aside from addressing that we ALL hope it gets a console/PC release, and that perhaps having Sonic 3 in there (FIVE SIX CLASSIC GAMES IN ONE!) would make that more likely.

On to happier news, I suppose asking for a spot was was unnecessary and I should just do it? I'll be streaming my own playthrough at my barely-used Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/geekcritique

Do we just start at 3 PM EST sharp, or will there be some kind of notification? Also, should we play vanilla S3&K? I'd suggest we might use a standardized Sonic 3 Complete, customized to be otherwise indistinguishable from vanilla. It'd just suck to get stuck at the end of Marble Garden, haha.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    As far as what I've been organizing, we have 8 peeps with Tom from Hellfire Comms and Skyler from here maybe joining in, so that's about 10 total, there's concern among us that might already be too many people for what we ourselves are doing but I definitely won't stop you from gathering some people you know and starting around the same time. Really the main strong arm of this stream portion was the announcement videos from the individual channel owners themselves, particularly Johnny (already at 20,000 views) and Cobanermani. The stream was more of a nice side effect of the initiative. Some viewers just need the push a stream announcement can give.

Stealth pointed out to us that doing S3&K proper would probably be the best to avoid giving off mixed signals to uninformed viewers (and judging by comments on above videos there are plenty). Playing S3C, as fantastic as it is, will immediately ring sentiments of "why do we need it remade when there's already this?" among a few other things. That said I won't stop you if that's how you wanna do it :p We'll be starting as close to 3 PM EST as we can manage though I expect we may be a liiiiittle behind that.

Change.org is telling me its server is misbehaving. I was really looking to see what the signature total would be after Johnny and Cobi's videos. I'm not expecting the stream to get a fraction of the above views, so really if today didn't give us a significant boost I'm not sure what we can do other than let signatures accrue over a longer period, instead of looking for big bumps.

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    We were up around 4400 a few hours ago!

I'll definitely be participating, if only alongside everyone else. Mostly just because I find competition really fun, and I never really get it with these games. I'd like to see how I can do. I've also got a fun idea for an announcement video, which I'll make tomorrow.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Hey, for some reason the "Features video" on the s3remastered website went private. Is it still being edited? Or just the wrong link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kHElRG_ek
    That should be the correct link there.

Updating that one will help.

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    All fixed!

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hey, the petition's back up! And we're at... 4,670! Ye-us!

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

And now just over 4700. That's a nice little jump.

Can we reach 100,000 though? I'm still very doubtful.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
  15. winterhell

winterhell

According to wikipedia
    COD sold 188M copies, Sonic about 150M copies.
    This doesnt explain the gap in signatures. A remake of the first COD would be cool though, that one is different from the 'modern' ones.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    COD started in 2003 (12 Years ago). Sonic has sold 150M since 1991 (24 years), so COD is far more popular (as it has sold more in half the time).

With these sort of campaigns, the best thing is to keep on pushing. If you hit the right person, it'll go viral and there'll be an explosion in signatures.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That was almost 20 years ago. Sonic isn't as popular now.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    also which games are we talking about, or is that the series as a whole?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^That would be the series as a whole

Going along this argument, I bet the masses aren't even aware that Sonic 1 and 2 are "remastered" persay. They probably just think a setting was changed and it's widescreen now. That's the nail that really has to be hit in the head here.

Regardless of the outcome though, I always have Sonic 3 Complete on a Flash cart on the Genesis. I'm set :v:

EDIT: Oh and just for fun, looks like we're neck and neck with a petition to bring Terry Pratchett back from the dead: https://www.change.org/p/death-bring-back-terry-pratchett

:specialed:

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    You guys are kind of saying this like it's a negative, but is there any way we could use this? The old-school gamers we need to make this happen may be receptive to something like, "A petition to remake a Call of Duty game that's barely five years old is at 90,000 signatures. Our petition to remake Sonic the Hedgehog 3? Not even to 5,000." People may like Sonic, but they HATE Call of Duty ,and that could be a stronger incentive.

Edit: I knew posting on r/gaming would be a terrible waste of time, but there you go.