don't click here

THE SIXTH ANNUAL HACKING CONTEST RESULTS

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    I actually fixed these problems, but by the time I had got around to this the deadline for updating hacks had already passed, and I didn't want to create more delays. =P

Also, congrats to all the other winners.

2. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Should have sent me an update.. that was actually one of my fav hacks. If I was going by favourites, it would have been yours, megamix, advanced edit, cactus juice and mustard, robotnik's revenge, s factor, some generic conceptions and a few others. I try not to play favourites, though

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    See Rika, people love you and your work! Finish S2AE one day! Please! =(

And of course, congrats to all the winners! :v: Maybe I'll enter next year.

4. snkenjoi

snkenjoi

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

5. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Just... wow! What a good haul! Thanks a lot Ayla and other judges, for your kind words and generosity, they make all the hard work and grind worthwhile. As proud as we are of this hack, I cant help but be astonished by how well we did amongst the sheer amount of quality hacks that were entered this year.

Apologies to the people who would like to play Sonic Boom, especially in light of these contest results. As much as we'd like to release publically, we've been working at this hack for a few years now, with a definite design plan and a criteria for release in mind. At the moment, despite progressing in leaps and bounds, and really wanting to let it out in the world, that criteria has still not been met, and until it is, it will continue to be private. I think it will be worth the wait, and I'd rather show it off when the surprise is finished, than spoil all the surprises prematurely. Sorry to be a spoilsport.

[​IMG]
    Hopefully this will whet your appetite for now

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Wow.
    Just, wow.
    That's fantastic work you guys, I can obviously see that you've worked on this for a long time. Keep this up!

7. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    S2:AE deserved the top spot (and I'm saying this as somewhat who put his heart and soul into Megamix) but only serves to twist the knife even further. Damnit Rika, get up and finish this thing plz :/

Also, DFZ boss > qiuu's boss *is shot*

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Oh yes, I forgot about that before. Congratulations, Rika. Your hack is awesome, please keep working on it! :D

9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    No need to justify. I'm proud of what I've done so far, but I'm not blind to the outstanding quality around me.

Can we have a Master System category next year? =P

10. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Sonic: The Lost Worlds
    Good contest, and good idea posting what you thought about each hack. I knew I wasn't going to win anything with Sonic: The Lost Worlds, but it was worth it to be able to see what you thought about it, which is better than what I expected. Hearing that it "will contend with the others once object layouts are implemented" makes me want to get it done by the next contest.
    And I hope you don't leave the scene. These contests have to keep happening.

11. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Wow, congratz to all. I'm surprised that Megamix didn't win the 1st prize, but the hack of Rika is really awesome too. Sad that is discontinued.

12. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    The very first one was segregated by system format, but I received much less than I thought I would (none for that year =P). Considering the progress in the past seven or so years, I don't see why not. I should have done that after the Shadow Adventure entry a couple years back (think it was four).

Someone else could always do as good if not a better job than me. I think that was proven either during the fourth or the fifth one. I forget which one JCFerggy and Verse did it. They were the ones that implemented the runner-up "Honourary Mention" idea and iirc, they also had banners for the winners, something I haven't done in the other five times I ran it. I plan on having something figured out conclusively by the beginning of December, as that's when the next one starts, so stay tuned =)

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member

Aww, how sweet. :P

14. Megaphilip

Megaphilip

Banned

Well done everyone. I think we should sticky this so everyone will know ;)

Oh nos. I past 10 posts :)

Good contrast. Looking forward to next years :thumbsup:

15. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    I think that's a good suggestion. Sticky it for a week and then take 'em both down.

16. Megaphilip

Megaphilip

Banned
  17. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

Interesting results ;)

Congratulations to all the winners!

18. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Totally awesome. I didn't see that coming - thanks Ayla! Now I have my own personal trophy to try and defend next year...

Good choice of winner, by the way. Advanced Edit is my favourite hack so it's good to see it get the recognition it deserves.

19. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    It's the same ROM from last year =P. I never changed it at all. Also the levels ARE beatable, you just have to avoid tubes.

20. qiuu

qiuu

Tech Member
    Blue Ball & Blocks
    Really interesting results showing that there seem to be a couple of interesting hacks to watch out for that are worked on behind the scenes.

I agree with ColinC10, Advanced Edit is my favourite hack as well.

Four trophies it's like...wow for a hack as small as mine. These seem to be the non-conventional trophies that not too many other hacks compete for.
    Thanks Ayla for your comments!
    And I think I should come up with a proper name for the next release...

:P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.