don't click here

Streets of Rage 2: Red Crimson Edition

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Glisp, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Unlike the other characters, Playable Zamza runs automatically. Since he has no walking sprites, Red Crimson decided to make him run by default. That may change in future builds. I had one guy offer to make custom walking sprites for the hack. (yeah, I'm kinda a little more than a tester, I talk to people and find out stuff from them and stuff.) He was actually one of the spriters for SORR v5. He said he had some jumping sprites for Barbon and some walking sprites for Zamza. I showed them to Red Crimson, he really liked the Zamza walking sprites and wanted them adapted to Zamza's playable pallete.

There were plans to make Abadede, R.Bear, and Barbon playable but they probably won't happen any time soon. So don't get your hopes up.

2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I wouldn't be surprised if many people didn't realize all the differences between BK2 Shiva and BK3 Shiva, not counting the different sprites.

If you guys ever decide to implement a proper BK2 style Shiva, I can write up differences if you want. I pretty much play this game religiously.

3. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Sure dude. I dunno if Red Crimson plans on modifying Shiva after he finishes Zamza, but I could always hold onto it if he happens to change his mind. ;)

4. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Is there a SoR2 disassembly?

5. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Not publicly, but yes Red Crimson has a disassembly he's used for this hack. He also has one for the US version of Streets of Rage 3 and another for its Japanese version, Bare Knuckle III.

6. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Can I just ask. Is it Red Crimson that has restored the motorbike levels in Bare Knuckle 3?

I remember glancing over a website regarding Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle hacking about 6 months ago and I seen a lot of progress regarding the motorbike levels, characters and the cut alternate escape in the level where you have to save the general.

I'm just on youtube and I just saw the restored motorbike stages and wow just wow.

For anyone that wants to see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKJ1T0D75u8...=watch_response

Note: the little Sonic cameo on the mini billboards XD

Either way, wow, its impressive that he has disassemblies of Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3 and Bare Knuckle 3. I don't know much about them to be honest but did he do them himself? are they labelled? or is it a very private thing that only he doesn't really say much regarding.

and suddenly my curiosity has exploded.

Edit: Just noticed on the video description that it says "a friend of mine who goes by the alias of Red Crimson". That is awesome.

7. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    That's my video. I was one of the Bare Knuckle III: Director's Cut project assistants. I actually did help on build 1.0 with hacking but it was mostly some simple hex editing that Red Crimson walked me through.
    Other than that, I was mostly a tester for the project.

The current build is 1.4. Red Crimson really hasn't messed with Director's Cut in a few months I'm afraid. I have the latest private build, version 1.5.
    I want to ask him to get permission to release it but I also don't think it is a version that can be released just yet. It's still got some work.
    Motorbike stages completely work in it. The Round 6 basement doesn't however.

There was talk of porting BKIII: Director's Cut to Sega CD but it never came to fruitation I'm afraid.

Right now, Red Crimson's disassemblys are private. He may release them in the future though.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Perhaps somebody could point Red Crimson to this board? He seems to have generated a lot of interest in here.

9. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    He actually lurks as a guest on these boards every so often. He's never really had any interest in joining, though I'm not quite sure if guests can see this board or not so he probably doesn't even know that people have interest in him.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hence why somebody should tell him about this thread.

11. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Good point. Oh got an update on Bare Knuckle III: Director's Cut. Check the official thread in the technical discussion boards for more info. ;)
    It's actually a very old update but I never posted it here. Build 1.4 is available for download.

Official thread for those too lazy.
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...75&start=75

Also, the reason why I'm posting this link is because I don't have any updates for this hack I'm afraid.

12. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Hey guys, new update:

Still not quite ready for release yet.
    Here's what's been fixed since the last build though:
    -2 player Duel mode ending flags fixed.
    -Zamza now has a proper hold down B attack and a proper B+C attack
    -High Score screen now display's Shiva's and Zamza's names properly
    -Zamza's name card and portrait are finally displayed with his lifebar
    -Zamza can now do his boss version's spin jump
    -Zamza now makes a sound effect when suplexing and suplexing from both sides causes damage this time.
    -Zamza's Cannonball is now multi-hit.

Keep in mind these only apply to the playable version of Zamza.

Regarding Shiva, Red Crimson says that he's looked into the boss version's script a little and while I'm not entirely sure says that what some of Meat Miracle/Boriz said is correct. He'll work on correct Shiva some.

Btw, Playable Shiva can do that one move that he has that BKIII/SOR 3 Shiva doesn't have the "straight hook punch move" Though you have to press the B button really fast, similar to Axel's Double kick combo. If you can do it in succession, Shiva can potentially do an infinite. You'll see me do this move to Z. Kusano as him in the above video once. (I'm not very good at doing it.)

13. dsrb

dsrb

Have Zamza's attacks been updated with their actual damage values?

New playable characters are always interesting, so I'll probably check this out once it's updated. Did you say RC isn't planning to implement other any others?

14. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Regarding Zamza's attacks, they do a decent amount of damage. Keep in mind status stars on the player select screen don't reflect the actual stats and code for them. They're just for show and are not tied to the actual stat code for the characters.

He just might. I think I've convinced him to continue the hack. He mentioned something about giving Axel his BKII Beta moves, though creating an alternative means of activating them so that his old moves can still be used.

We're also talking about using a few custom sprites from SORR version 4, though we're waiting to get permission from Bombergames first. Namely, the running sprites for Axel and Max and the custom animations for Mr.X as we're trying to decide if we're gonna make Mr.X playable or not and he needs a complete moveset. We're waiting for permission from Bombergames though as it would be wrong to just steal them.

We also have been talking about adding the Cigar smoking animation for Mr.X that's only used in the Japanese version of the game and Blaze's upskirt animation that's only used in the European and Japanese versions of the game. (SOA censored both things, SOE only censored the Cigar for some odd reason.)

We've also talked some about making Abadede playable.

15. dsrb

dsrb

I didn't actually notice them; I just recall you saying that he still used Skate's damage values. From your reply I assume this has been addressed?

That'd be interesting, as would Barbon (whom I believe you mentioned before). If only Big Ben and co. had enough moves to be playable. :v:

16. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Barbon lacks animations, though Daors from the SORR team said he could help this some since he's a custom spriter and all. Even showed me a couple of jumping sprites for Barbon he had for SORR version 5 that probably weren't going to get used.

I actually wanted to have Jack playable tbh. Though Red Crimson said that since he was only a sub-boss it wasn't called for. Had a couple of interesting ideas for him too. Such as him pulling out a knife for his a button special at the cost of some health.

17. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I don't suppose there's room in the VRAM for a third player with multi-tap support?

18. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    I don't know tbh. I'd have to ask Red Crimson. Not too sure about VRAM. There should be plenty of room in the ROM for such a thing though. However, I don't guarantee it. Just remember that hacking to SOR 2 is relatively new and Red Crimson's still kind of not familiar with everything yet. Baby steps, Baby steps. ;)

19. dsrb

dsrb

Well, in any case, he seems to be at the forefront!

Additional players would be interesting. You'll be aware that's one of the most popular requests for SoRR, and one of the most popular features that has been specifically ruled out; thus, if anyone did implement it, they'd probably become something of a folk hero. It could work well on the higher difficulty levels and/or with additional enemies. Anyway, I doubt I could even find one person to play with :ohdear: (well, perhaps my dad!)

20. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    tbh. I've actually wanted to play co-op online for a long time for SOR 2 and BKIII: Director's Cut. However, I couldn't really find anyone willing to do so.