don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Awww please no :( ...PhysX first of all, is nvidia only. And second my HD4670 doesnt like it xD

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I prefer my games without proprietary bullshit!

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    It would up to the user to use PhysX. Unless Xaklse make a gimmick that uses PhysX.

4. Thank you all for the feedback. Any suggestion for the stage background music?

Because as a player I like to SpinDash this way so that I can get better precision, easy to change for other coders though.
    Also as a player I want to have the ability to move backwards without moving the camera; if I want to turn around I just turn left/right quickly.

The video is really nice. The issue with running on water is caused by low FPS; script checks for water are less frequent because of that and often fails. The issue you get with the screen borders is caused by faulty post-processing.

1- Currently it is 2 times his own height as you say; can anyone of the Genesis gurus confirm the exact height of the classic jump?
    2- I'll see what I can do; and using the shoulder buttons for turning make sense.
    3- Ok I get it, better ball physics are needed.

I won't reproduce that classic nonsense in my framework, feel free to change that after the code gets released.

Short? In pixels, meters? It's impossible to tell you about measurements in a 3D engine.

I don't have the intention to use PhysX unless it's absolutely essential.

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I remember a long long time ago, AJ Freda (SSNTails, of SRB2 fame) told me that Sonic's jump arc in the Genesis games was exactly 100 pixels high at full strength. Sonic is 39 pixels tall.

So no, twice his height is not enough.

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    And too add on that, in Sonic Adventure, sonic is 10 units tall and jumps about 40

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I gotta ask, why though? If you wanted to replicate Sonic's physics then this should be one of those things that needs be. It'd at least be a good idea to put it in the "Sonic physics" mode.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Not only that, but it makes logical sense - when you're running horizontally, upside-down or not, you encounter the same amount of friction. Thus, if you can speed up on the ground, you can speed up when on the ceiling.

9. Chaud

Chaud

Exactly this:

[​IMG]

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    This is probably a stupid question, but, how do you toggle the Sonic Physics mode? It is automatically on from the start?

11. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I'm sorry, but how does this make sense? Your reference point while on the ground is the bottom of the sprite, but while in the air is the middle of it, so you're obviously measuring half a jumping sprite too much. Keep the reference point consistent at the bottom of the sprite and it should probably add up at least more closely to the 100 pixel figure Blaze mentioned.

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member

I actually meant in a 3D Program such as 3DS Max.

13. This refuses to run on my machine!

It always comes up with this error:

14. Chaud

Chaud

I don't quite understand your point.

I just wanted to show what the image shows: that from the floor to the center of the sprite, it's three "Sonics" tall. If you want to use the entire sprite as a reference, just look at the picture and you will realize that the height is about 2.5 Sonics. So whatever pixels or other parameter that he want as a reference for calculating the height of the jump, he can see the relative height, so now he can just adapt it to the engine.

15. Granville

Granville

US
    That image is a good representation. It's not for pixel height or any technical information, it's just to show you just how high Sonic can jump in relation to his own height. At current, GDK Sonic can only jump about twice his height. In the classic Sonic games, it's much higher. It's hard to jump high enough to reach certain platforms in GDK.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    So why does the picture say "Middle of the sprite" and "3 SONIC's"?

17. Granville

Granville

US
    When you reach the max height, the middle of the ball sprite is equal to 3 standing Sonic sprites stacked one on top of the other (hence why he says middle of sprite). There's another half of a Sonic sprite as well. So I was actually incorrect, the max jumping height in the classic Sonic games is 3.5 times Sonic's standing height. Here in GDK it's only 2x his height. Needs to be much higher. Thankfully, I doubt it's very hard to fix. :)

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    More like 2.5....

Think sports. A players jump height isn't measured from their point on the ground to the highest point their head or hands can reach. The distance that's measured is from the feet to the ground. This being said, considering the bottom of Sonic's ball to be his "feet", he has a jump height of 2.5x his own height. That is, he can raise his "feet" 2.5x his own height off of the ground.

19. Granville

Granville

US
    Alright, I got you. But if that's the case, the current jump height in the GDK engine is only 1x his height... I was going by ground reference.

Lets just say it this way in theoretical measurements (not actual measurements, but for reference points). Each level of jump is a unit of Sonic's sprite. Sonic himself is a single unit. Here we go-
    Sonic Genesis games maximum jump height- 3.5 units
    Sonic GDK- 2 units

And don't say anything retarded like "omg, what a stupid unit of measurement, ur gay". I'm trying to create a point of reference. The point of reference here is how tall Sonic is. Deal with it.

20. I need to add one "Sonic unit" to jumps then, thanks for the clarification people.

You're overlooking gravity direction.

Don't worry about this, you don't have to activate anything manually.

I don't know really, I just import the models to the game.

Which graphic card do you have? What are your system specs (and OS)?