don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hi Guys, Xak and I have teamed up to bring you the Sonic 3 Special stage to SGDK, ( using the Fisheye shader)
    We started this sometime mid 2011, but wanted to keep it under wraps.
    Also, due to Xak programming the new Classic Sonic physics system for SGDK and XGDK, (XGDK stands for Xtreme GDK btw)
    and my modeling a retro 2.5D Green hill Zone chunk system for that , the special stage kinda took the back burner.

So ya anyways, the first upcoming release wont have all the bells and whistles as planned. however we'd like to show you what we have so far.

First section of the video is an older test, more like a proof of concept for many aspects of the stage, second part is the gameplay programed in by Xak.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQPE7swmM0&feature=youtu.be

2. dsrb

dsrb

Sonic's turning looks really awkward. At the minimum, he should turn before the camera does, rather than the other way round. Plus, it might be that he'd still look too jerky/halting even then.

3. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Looks great, I haven't been able to find the time to use and try out the new GDK; although, I like what he has done so far with it. I've been busy with Generations crap lately, haven't put time into this. Although I did get Classic Generations Sonic ported to it fine with using the mouth thing I did with Modern Sonic. I figure I'll release those, since most people will complain they don't have a good model to work with. Since most fans use pre-made models anyways, might as well be something good then.

Anyways, I don't see a point in rails, you could "code/script" your own type of path spline by editing and playing an animation yourself. Someone just has to take the time to "learn" it. I'm learning the finer things of UDK, to do all the graphical nonsense, for a city level I was working on before.

Question out of curiousity. UDK can accept collision meshes instead of using the real base mesh as a collision mesh? Right? Since I feel I'll have to do this later, to cut down on taxing things.

4. Falk

Falk

If you wanted the retro look you could lock the model's direction with the camera. That's how the original sprites would work anyway- only one possible angle, or billboarded in a pseudo 3d environment

5. dsrb

dsrb

Wait. Why didn't I think of that? I can't even /wrists out of shame because apparently I'm immune to Occam's razor.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah man, can't wait to have the classic generations model available in SGDK.
    Perhaps, can you wait till the next SGDK release before you release it ?,
    as it has some nice new classic physics which would go nicely with that model!

P.S. It'd fit perfectly with My Green hill Retro which has been finished already,
    We're holding back the release a bit longer,
    I've been working on house renovations allowing minimal time to finish the props , enemies ect for the zone.

That may have already been fixed as I don't have the latest build of SGDK, This would be something Xak would be able to answer.

Hmm I did come up with a billboard and sprite animation shader system for SGDK used for Project AXSX ( sonic Xtreme)
    however I don't think that'd be the way to go unless someone's interested in remaking the spirits in HD or something.

Edit: Oh wait, I just remembered the model itself can have a billboard shader applied ! and it can be locked to a single axis which may work without additional programming on Xak's part, since its handled in the shader editor.
    would have to test this.... thx for the idea !

7. Yup! FBX / ColRef

A Special Stage screenshot with better definition:
    [​IMG]

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    For whom may be interested,
    My 4 year Tightly guarded Fisheye shader's source code, will be available in this (very soon to be released) latest build of SonicGDK.

With a few tweaks here and there, you'll be able to build your very own sonic Xtreme Fisheye lens inspired stages.
    The Fisheye is also useful for other things such as sky boxes using flat layouts. ect ect...

However, without the proper model set up , Fisheye may not work properly with collisions.
    You've gata set up an invisible collision mesh separately and disable collisions for the Visual mesh containing the Fisheye shader.

I have 1 request from you all.
    since this is being released, if used in your own projects.
    Please credit where credit is due, as this shader had taken me over 2 years to get right threw many failed attempts and procedures,,,,,,its also my pride and joy.

9. New 1.00.313 version is up!
    Source Code (requires UDK January 2012): 2shared / DepositFiles / FreakShare / Oron / PutLocker / RapidShare / Uptobox

What's new? In short:
    Minor changes worth mentioning here:

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Oh, I'll try this out, thanks.

11. Can someone please, please post a built version of this? Or share some built versions of their maps? I so want to play.

12. I'll create a Windows & MacOSX build, expect it in the coming days.

13. I really appreciate it.

14. Uploaded a standalone .exe for Windows (Packaged Release 6; requires nothing to work):
    2S / FF / FS / Or / PL / RS / Up

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

New since Preview Release 5:
    • Orbs aka wisp powers
    • Complete HUD with lives and score
    • Sonic3's Special Stage
    • Mini-Sonic and other monitors
    • Classic/Modern Sonics
    • Giant and dash rings

15. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Mac OS X:
    SonicGDK_osx_pr6.dmg | Mirror

16. Uploaded the standalone .dmg for Mac OS X (Packaged Release 6; requires nothing to work):
    2S / FF / Or / PL / RS / Up

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    How are the special stages made?

18. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    When daddy special stage and mommy special stage like each other very very much they usually start to become more than just friends and they do like the birds and the bees and then, nine months later a little special stage is born.

Or... Look on the test map, at the very bottom of it there you have the special stage floor. I don't really understand either, but apparently there is an object in there that deals with the position of the spheres and stuff like this.

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    How do you uninstall the previous one? I tried using 'UnSetup.exe' (I assume that's 'Uninstall setup'), but it didn't work.

20. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Please for the love of God replace that Sonic model...