don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

Andrew, it looks good! I must learn shader programming.

Did you use SGDKStaticMeshes and/or SonicPhysicsVolumes?

You attached it... unexpected.
    Don't use the "Level Loaded" node for this, check the "Cameras for Spawning" Kismet section in my test map.

2. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    @Blaze whenever you DL the sonic colors files, do a full recompile. I changed Sonic's crouch offset in familyinfosonic so if you don't recompile, it wont show up.

3. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So, using this engine, how big of a stretch would be to have an open world kind of area? Like a Bethesda world but full of Sonic themes.

4. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I think it might be possible, but you're gonna have to do a lot of level streaming to make it work.

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Okay, so, Sonic can't seem to pawn on Movers.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Hell, entire MMOs have been built on Unreal Engine. Open World games are possible, but yeah, lots of streaming and as such, probably marginally reduced texture fidelity.

Edit: Streak: Aha! Yeah, I forgot to recompile. Works fine now.

7. 1.00.010 is up!

Changelog:
    • Added entry effect slots for types of actors and their related code to SGDKWaterVolume.
    • Improved the code called when the pawn stops pushing and the PushableKActor starts to fall.
    • Improved the interaction of PushableKActors with water volumes and triggers.
    • Updated SGDKPlayerPawn so that it's compatible with AttachToActor Kismet node.
    • Added ModifyTurningAbility() function to SGDKPlayerPawn.
    - Download links: (requires UDK June 2011):
    DepositFiles / FileServe / FileSonic / HotFile / MegaUpload / RapidShare / Uploading / ZShare

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Would it be too much trouble to add dash rings (I can make a dash ring model if need be.)? Or can you so that using Kismet?

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I am going to be a terrible person right now.

Basically, I want to edit this. I know nothing about it. Various tutorial sites have been linked, and while those are heavy with knowledge I will probably use at some point, I'd like some jumping-off points for things I want to do, as over the years I have considered a number of ideas in my head on ways to "fix" Sonic in 3D and I am eager to put those ideas in to something I can play and tweak.

How would I...

1. How would I change the HUD? I'd assume I could use Kismet for this, but how, exactly? All I can seem to bring up is Kismet for existing map functions, not entire projects.
    2. I have an idea about giving Sonic a "run button" where his movement speed is limited to "walking" unless a button is held down, where he's given a small boost in velocity and is allowed to accelerate to a much higher speed. Where do I start trying to implement something like this?
    3. How would I add a homing attack crosshair? I have the graphics pretty much ready to use on this one, leftover from something else I was trying.
    4. How would I replace sound effects? Finding sounds in the Content browser is a breeze. Replacing them with something different is not.
    5. How would I replace/change shield effects? Is there some kind of material editor I'm missing? Do I need to know how to write shader *.FX files?
    6. How would I replace/change models? Can I edit models in UDK? Do I need to install Maya? How do I replace badnik models specifically?
    7. How would I create a main menu? Before installing SonicGDK, UDKgame came with a pretty nice menu that let you pick from available installed maps, etc. How can I create a new one of these, or modify the old one to work with SonicGDK?
    8. How would I build SonicGDK so others can just run the EXE? Do I need to create a project definition for it? How do I do that?

There's probably more I'm not thinking off right now, but I already feel like a huge noob for doing this, so...

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    You can use the FrontEnd to compile. and bake your game.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Okay, but all that's listed there is "DM-DECK", "EpicCitadel", and "SimpleCourtyard".

Shouldn't there be a "SonicGDK"? There doesn't seem to be a way to make a new profile, either. There's clone, rename, and delete. I mean, I guess I could just rename DM-DECK to "SonicGDK". I'd assume I add whatever maps are to be packaged with it, too, under "maps to cook".

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
  13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey guys ! We gots the initial new shader ready for some Sonic 3 Special Stage goodness.
    It's based off of the Fisheye shader that we ported over to UDK from our AXSX engine a few days ago.

Looks like It could also be used for some other kinds of standard Levels,, or original Bonus stages,
    Imagine the possibilities!

Would be nice if Sonic 3 special stage was ported over to GDK from Ashura: Dark Reign.
    It would speed up getting the stage finished and out the door.

(Note: that the Fisheye bend power is adjustable, initial tests are never optimized and don't represent the finished product's production quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21g2DNVf8

and just in case someone missed this in AXSX thread ( here is the standard Xtreme fisheye shader)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBMGzrSP8Do

14. It's easy to code as it somewhat is a flying spring. I currently don't accept requests though.

You are "history's greatest monster" :)

1. There are two ways: import the graphics and code everything, or use a Flash HUD and code a little. If you use Flash, search for "Scaleform" tutorials. Kismet sequences only work with the opened map.
    2. To add new input commands modify DefaultInput.ini; to manage the new command take a look to SGDKPlayerInput.uc.
    3. Not easy, you first need a proper HUD, then add the crosshair to it and somehow change the code related to Homing Attack (PawnSonic.uc).
    4. You have to browse the code of the class and search for the sounds you want to change. Check the "defaultproperties" (bottom part) of SGDKPlayerPawnSoundGroup.uc and ShieldActor.uc for some examples.
    5. The shield effects are used in the "defaultproperties" block of ShieldActor.uc. No need to write shaders; to modify the effect (particle system) appearance in the editor you use Unreal Cascade, search for tutorials.
    6. You can't use the editor to edit models, you need Maya, 3dsMax, Softimage, Blender... For badniks you have to create a new enemy .uc class and link there the model ("defaultproperties" block).
    7. Best choice is Flash based menus, search for "Scaleform" tutorials.

Clone DM-Deck profile, replace DM-Deck.udk with test map name, cook and pack.

Impressive, did anyone try this shader in a relatively slow PC?

15. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    I respect all the work going into this. I'm glad the Sonic Fangaming community is so cool.

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Haha, I told you in that PM that I was completely clueless.

Okay, well, what did you do? I find that I'm more of a "learn by example" sort of guy - most of what I've learned in terms of coding is usually from reverse-engineering what somebody else has done or simply by experimenting. First bit of coding I ever learned was TI-82 BASIC, by downloading games from kids in my math class and looking up each syntax in the calculator's operations manual.

Looking at the UDN entry for Scaleform, this all sounds super complex, in a "Maybe I should just give up now" sort of way.

Yeah, but, how? How do I get to that? "Browse the code of the class" is like an alien language to me. I open UnrealEd, I see a map editor.

I literally know nothing about any of this. I am super out of my depth, here. At the risk of whining, I feel like I'm trying to scale Mt. Everest and my instructor is telling me "Well, to get started, you'll have to go on a hike every day for a year, and once you've done that, you'll spend the next six months teaching you about your gear and how to properly use it, and then we'll start climbing smaller mountains for another few months and then maybe we can try Everest, but even then you probably still won't be ready."

And that's all so far away, but Mt. Everest is right there, right now, staring me in the face...

17. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    UnrealEd isn't for editing code. All the UnrealScript stuff is in regular text files, and you have to work with 'em accordingly. That's programming for ya.

You open up *insert UDK folder here*\Development\Src\SonicGDK\Classes. Every class is in its own file. I recommend getting Notepad++ to open 'em up, best general-purpose source code editor there is. There's supposedly UnrealScript editors, but I haven't seen any free ones.

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Okay, but how does that pertain to sound editing? All the sound files are in .upk format. How do I get new sounds in there? And out of there?

19. dsrb

dsrb

I'd seen a few screenshots and stuff, and I had an idea that the engine was good, but I just watched this. Almost speechless. Someone make a game with this shit. Now!

Also, the bit about boosting where he's in the tube has me itching to play F-Zero X.

20. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Replacing the sounds? Let me try something.

Worked like a charm.

Replacing a sound is easy. Your sound file has he have the exact name as the one your replacing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found a "hack" for dash rings using the springs, but it works. I just made a hollowed out cylinder and and a cylinder collision mesh for it. Modified the speed of the spring in the properties. However, since it doesn't snap Sonic to the center of the object, he sometimes hits the dash ring.