don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Energy

Energy

Some nice pics - I'm wondering if at least the ones at the end (the waterful splashes) are more of a bug on the part of sanik's viewer. Also it maybe possible that sanik's viewer isn't fully checking for special effects on certain blocks... then again we also know this isn't the final version of the level so it could just be early level etc... :)

Good spots though!

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    This is my thinking as well. We know that the fine folks at STI were geniuses at using tricks to get better graphics out of limited hardware. Sanik's viewer is treating the maps as a series of cubes, but as we can see in the videos Ofer did a lot of cool shit that went beyond the lego model, such as those ramps that grow out of nowhere.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Although a bit bugy.....Xeniczone's realtime proof of concept implementing Taxman's algorithm into our engine.
    [​IMG]

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Everything in Ofer's engine seems to stretch farther under the fisheye view than in Sanik's viewer. I think that might be the reason why some things look in different proportion than in the viewer (like the bridge).

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Perhaps certion blocks may have had special code applied to them to stretch differently than others.

6. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Very nice progress. A couple questions: What engine is this? Does it use DEF files directly or is that one of your 3d studio max models?

It seems that there is more geometry in the maps than just the cubes. Ideally you should try to reverse enginere the DEF files as much as possible.

A few smart folks have had this for years apparently, I'd love if you guys could speak up about any discoveries you may have made.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    His fisheye was more pronounced, just that. And about the differences between the PC and the viewer, I think it's the viewer fault.

8. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Clearly. Someone a couple pages back said they prefer the viewer fisheye, but I think that the whole design was to create an illusion that everything was taking place on huge spheres. It's an ingenius way of giving that immersive depth to a classic style platformer without making a blatently flat 2.5d game.

By the way, what is Sonic standing on :P

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    sonic is standing on air with our debug keys we coded in to move him anywhere,

10. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

This is the most likely case, mostly to blame for our lack of understanding of the DEF files. At some point, someone's going to have to get down and dirty with that file format in order for us to get things exact. As in, understanding exactly why the bridge looks the way it does, the waterfall, etc.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]

I made a comparison before.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Edit: fixed error seen above,, kind of sort of....
    hnmm maybe I'm posting to much un necessary stuff,,

anyways our fisheye isn't as pronounced as the original game or the viewer.
    this can be adjusted with a few code adjustments.
    this is good for the Saturn levels which fisheye wasn't very pronounced anyways,
    [​IMG][/url]

Yep Saturn type rotations are up and working with fisheye.
    [​IMG]

we couldnt have done it without Taxmans formula!
    Thx Taxman! and thx guys for having a great forum here!

13. 0.0 WOW. Excellent work, guys!

Hope for something playable soon!

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    *claps* VERY nice work, Andrew! Your progress is staggering. I'm curious, did you create new textures for the icicles, or were they present in the def? They don't appear in Sanik's viewer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you using your 3dsm model or parsing the DEF directly?

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yes indeed, really impressive. I also can't wait to see a playable form of this peice of greatness. However, it'll still have to have objects like the enemies, springs and loops added to it.

16. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I wonder how long it will take for a Sonic Xtreme HD project to start up :specialed: Texture packs are all the rage these days

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Only in our dreams, perhaps. =P

Also notice that the fisheye doesn't just look more defined, but also stretches out the Z axis to where one small walkway could look like a long distorted path. Also the original has a very short draw distance.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    They are present in the def, just go to the "1_T" folder and make a copy of spikes_0.pcx named spikes_01.pcx =P

And to fix the textures for "DE_14D.def" just make a copy of FWALL03B.pcx in the 1_T folder and name it FWALL03B1.pcx =P.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

One thing I notice in the videos that is different is that for example in the jade gully video in the final room, the green platfroms has more depth- in the viewer is is a flat map sitting at the same level as the water, yet in the video it actually is a solid platform a little above the platform. The same could be said about the Crysatl Frost blurry image- that there is some transparency and a actual platfrom a little above the water instead of just at water level.

20. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.