don't click here

Sonic Unreal Worlds Open Source release

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by StreakThunderstorm, Oct 10, 2014.

1. People forget/ignore that the Classic Sonic of SonicGDK has classic movement, as shown in the Green Hill Zone 2.5D tech demo. Try to play with that character in any 3D environment if you're still curious about the matter.

2. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Dat shameless plug doe, lol.

As a side note, I think I'll continue my initial plan of only going 2.5D. I'd rather have worked hard and got a near perfect movement style than to half ass 2 different ones and get 'em both wrong.

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I think it would be better if you did. Since it was your initial plan after all.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Yeah keep going as you were would probably be best. only add new features when you reach your initial goals.

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Still working on this? Or is it still in hiatus?

6. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Been trying to re-work both the movement direction and collision. The collision seems to break under 60fps and I can't allow that.

As for the movement, the engine will still work in 2D but I want to make it so that you're allowed to change the plane on which the 2D operates.

7. DrewMatK

DrewMatK

United States
    Sonic Unreal Adventure Kit
    You should try using the Spline tool to dictate Sonic's plane of movement. Sonic Unleashed-Generations does this. Someone else managed to get spline-based path following in UE4.

Here's a thread explaining how it was made:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?19120-Klonoa-Pandemonium-like-path-and-camera

8. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9UvgAy9rgxSb3F6NF9mQTV5Rzg&authuser=0

Tried hard to get it beyond where I was before but there are big problems with the collision that I cant figure out. I have it running on delta time but anything under 60fps makes Sonic go through floors.

Feel free to mess around and test things. This may be the last iteration of this version of the engine before I just go back and restart from the ground up.

9. ForgeCircuit

ForgeCircuit

Hi,

I can't seem to get this to work - the link goes to a page where I get the Dropbox error 509. Is this model/animations combo hosted elsewhere? I'm trying to get something going with Unity 4.
    Also, nice looking game so far! How's Blueprint compared to traditional coding and Unity when it comes to things like user input and controlling characters?

10. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Blueprints are vastly easier than coding any sort of programming language/scripting. Think MMF2's event system but much easier in terms of seeing final results.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've also seen that Sonic lost World has been cracked. If anyone can provide models/animations from that, I can get to working on putting them in the engine myself.

https://github.com/StreakThunderstorm/Sonic-Unreal-Worlds

All you have to do is DL the zip and put it where your Unreal Project Folder is.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    How accurate to classic sonic physics you have there?

12. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Give it a test run. See how it feels to you. I'm following the physics closely from Sonic Worlds from MMF2.

13. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    If anyone wants to try this the UE4 engine is now free.

14. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    I'll mess around with this tomorrow. I saw your alpha videos and really liked what I saw, Streak. :)

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Blueprints are nice and all, but you might get a more solid engine the C++ way. Anyways good luck guys ! I'm rooting for you either way!

16. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    There's nothing C++ can do that you can't do with Blueprints in terms of this engine.

Anyways, I've worked on the collision and I'm happy to say I have successfully made it more stable. I'll be releasing the change soon once I upgrade it to UE4 4.7.2

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I don't know about that man .. but yeah not trying to start any debates.
    I have my doubts on how solid the end results of the blueprint system is vs raw coding.

18. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    As I see it blueprints are good for prototyping since you get live feedback. When you have the complexities of this system, where you're basically creating your own pawn class entirely, it might be smarter to switch your final work over to code, or at least the backbone of it. Downloading Unreal Worlds, I get 40FPS max with some stuttering, plus the movement code EASILY teleports you into walls. I'm pretty sure this is mainly due to the vast amount of code done in blueprint which, keep in mind, is still a scripting language.

That said, this is all still really impressive. Just unfortunate about the aforementioned going-into-walls and frame chugging issues (the latter might just be me? Except that really shouldn't be an issue especially when I delete the more intense polygon objects... that and the stage is simple as is).

19. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    I haven't updated the build. I fixed the teleport into walls at lower framerates.

As far as blueprints go:

I've been actively engaged in the epic community. I watch the twitch streams and I partake on the forum. Epic has clearly stated themselves that there is little to no difference in what blueprints can do in terms of in-game stuff like movement and collision. You can make an entire game in blueprints completely. When you start getting into advanced things is when you may need to code it yourself if its not already part of the engine. Although Sonic seems to be hard to get a grasp of, its really damn simple in terms of what is needed to actually make his movement work. Any issues with the movement itself is most likely due to my own errors and not knowing how to set things up. For example, I made a really big difference when I moved the movement and collision system into a loop. I didn't know the proper way to make epic's loops work but once I finally understood, I boosted the framerate on my own machine from 60 - ~85 with less teleporting into walls.

I will be uploading and releasing Sonic Unreal Worlds alpha 0.8 very soon.

Edit:

https://github.com/StreakThunderstorm/Sonic-Unreal-Worlds

For those of you who don't use github, just click download as zip on the lower right hand corner.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Well I sit corrected. Blueprints really are that powerful, aren't they? I could have sworn there'd be some performance issues, but I guses not.

Will download in a few and give it a go.