don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (the Sonic OVA Fan Game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by P3DR0, Mar 4, 2011.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That's a pretty hilarious pick! I'm actually surprisingly liking Robotnik's new look, it really matches the aesthetic you're going for! Tails cracks me up! Only thing about it is that Sonic looks like he might be in pain instead of laughing, but it's a nitpick. I'm really loving this direction, and I'm happy to hear the project's not dead! :)

2. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Yeah. It's pretty hard to get emotions on Sonic, but in this case it was my mistake, I was kind of worry so it wouldn't look very believable if I exagerated his face some more. A shame since it's actually such an easy thing to fix:

[​IMG]

3. winterhell

winterhell

Would this be a 2.5D game ala Sonic Fan Remix and Episode 2, or with a 3D gameplay ?

4. ItzWizzz

ItzWizzz

Speed Wiz
    Nigeria, Africa
    Genie!!!!!!!(Manga)/Unamed Sonic RPG.
    Liking the cel shaded sonic look!!! Hope to see some cool level designs too!!

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'm loving those character designs, they have an original twist but don't look hideous.

6. Klaypersonne

Klaypersonne

I've been excited about this game for a while now, and I was kind of disappointed when it seemed like it had gone on hiatus. Good to know that wasn't the case, and this new developmental direction sounds promising. I also quite like those character designs. They don't stray too far from the original style, yet are still quite unique and charming, and seem like they will make the game feel more fully realized.

7. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Baron von Eggmann

8. Hmm, the 'stache and facial expression of Dr. Eggman reminds me of an old teacher of mine...
    I really like the new details on Sonic and Tails and Dr. Eggman's new outfit. It looks like a cross between his Genesis-era and Post-Dreamcast-era design. :thumbsup:
    Also, is Tails wearing a glove or some sort of robotic hand?
    Latter would be a handy (Sorry, I couldn't resist) indicator for his technological skills.
    But then again, that kind of (leather?) glove would also show that he is a good and passionate flyer.

9. Flipside

Flipside

Man, this looks really cool! I've wondered for a while what Sonic CD would look like with super sonic. I imagined him with similar upward spikes, green anime eyes, and flying through a row of spikes destroying all the spikes. Robotnik looks sweet, but I'm not sure how I feel about regal Tails who looks like he's guarding a castle. Those 2D things looked good, those rolling physics rock, and I saw one 3D one with a cel shaded sonic. Can't wait to see an actual level.

Seems everyone says you need a new title, but maybe you just need a tagline under the title like... "Planet Freedom" (that's where Sonic OVA takes place), "Time Stone Triumph", "Chaos in Utopia", or something to do with blast processing... I don't know. :P

Would we be able to play as tails, metal sonic, or something cool like that?

10. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Hey guys what's goin-- OH SHIT
    (if you read this and not post on this thread giving feedback, you mother will die tonight... very painfully)

[​IMG]

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    It could be just me, but it seems like his back spines and tail are a bit too long/too protruded. On the front view shot, something feels awkward about how his head meets his torso. His shoes also seem a bit too round to me. Other than those, I think it looks nice so far. Just keep at it!

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    My mother's already dead, you sicko.

Also, the feet look stubby. Like he's stubbed both toes or something. I like the proportions in general though; save for the back spine as already mentioned.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The head looks awkward to me, but I can appreciate the artstyle. Just needs some refinement, I think.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This is a personal preference, but I've never thought the middle mouth looked particularly "right" on Sonic. Having it on the side just seems more natural to me.

I also feel his feet might be a bit too square. Maybe experiment with tapering them off at the toes?

In general I like his spines, but in the 3/4 front view, that just looks pretty bad. I don't know how I would recommend you fix it without messing it up from the other views, but I feel like the bottom spine should be straight or at a slight downward angle other than the upward one it's at currently.

Other than that, this is a really good start! That profile view in particular has a very Sonic CD/OVA look to it, which I highly approve of. Good work, man, really pumped for this project :thumbsup:

Now you don't have to kill my mother :ohdear:

15. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    That looks good, but I think the head us too... fat I guess. Though, that may be because Modern Sonic is quite thin.

Good job anyway! I agree with all the other points as well.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    As others have mentioned, he seems a bit too chubby. You're going for a sort of Sonic CD opening/Sonic OVA look, right? His body was a lot smaller in those if I remember correctly.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The only things I can say that are too notable are that his ears and forehead are a bit on the small side and, like Hitlersaurus said, he's a bit too chubby if you're going for OVA/SCD-like Sonic. Other than that, it looks pretty good. (And the shoes are fine since I see they're intended to be based around your concept art).

18. Am I the only one who thinks that the nose looks odd, like it's too long or something. I saw the face, and instantly thought of Jughead from the Archie comics. Other than that, it looks really great!

19. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I think the whole thing looks awkward. To point out a few things: The muzzle is too large, I think the mouth is too high up, his head overall is too wide, and the torso is too large.

There's really not too much else I can say about it other than the fact that I dislike the overall look.

20. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    I'm taking all of your criticism in consideration even the nitpicky ones, just finding kind of funny how people are complaining about his head being wide or his torso being to large, since the model was made over the original Sonic the Hedgehog blueprint (literally), made by SEGA, you know... Those guys who created Sonic the Hedgehog.

About he being chubby, it's indeed an classic Sonic element that were integrated by our end instead of following the CD/OVA's Sonic. He is way more thiner in Sonic OVA/CD, but those are animations and drawns can be forgiven if have anatomic problems while 3D models can't. So for the sake of better judgement we had to make him a bit more chubby, which also made him even more cute if you ask me :3
    Also he is looking more fat than he really is due the clay texture and the lack of the "belly division" from his skin that will be done in the texture, so bear with me in this.

I'll admit there is still things to be done and he is lacking some polishment here and there, and that's why I posted the viewports, to get some feedback before we close this model in 3DSMax for good. Mostly of the critics of you guys probably will be solved with some texture work, it is normal to things to look weird without their colors or details, try to open any character for a game you like and you'll see how weird he looks at some areas. But I'm glad that the majority liked it. It took us a very long time to get this done and get this good, so yeah... Makes me happy knowing that people are liking the work we're doing and the direction we're heading with the game.