don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Is there any source behind it aside from “my friend told me this”?

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nope. It's widely believed to be fake.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Id see this movie 5 times if Danny Devito was Eggman.

"I'm gonna throw that hedgehog in the traysh." We then find out his origin story, which involved a freak accident related to a perfectly good crate of eggs found under a bridge.

4. makoeyes

makoeyes

Mike Pollock or bust.

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone aside from children can hold much hope or faith in an adaption of this. It's like, I'm at a loss as to the point of this expendature. What's Sega/Hollywood hoping to achieve here? Exposure? Increased market share? Drawing in more new children into the franchise? I'm pretty sure with Sonic Boom, the video games, toys, etc, Sonic's still pretty recognizable and marketable. It's not like he's been under a rock.

Sega/Hollywood certainly aren't doing this for old school fans. I'm pretty positive that a CGI/live-action movie is low on the list of wants from fans to Sonic and Sega as a whole. And given the questionable quality of most video game movie adaptions, I just... It feels like something you would have expected to see in the late 90s to early 2000s. Hell, Hollywood has been shy about doing these kinds of films. So just. Why? Of all the things that could be done to promote and make Sonic (the brand) better, why this?

I'm no marketing guru but it seems like this film is an answer to a question nobody asked.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. There is *one* thing, they could do with this that people have asked for, but I'm positive Sega or the studio will not do. And it's an origin story. Something that depicts or pins down who Sonic is, how he crossed paths with Dr. Eggman, and something that fleshes out the nebulous, untold past of Sonic. But they'll never do that, because Sega/Sonic Team would kill themselves if they got it wrong and made a disaster.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm just really eager to see how they insert the obligatory fart joke in the movie trailer.

Loud music plays.
    Eggman: HAHAHAHAHAHA-- (fart)
    Sonic: (makes a disgusted face) Eww.
    Scene change, loud music resumes playing.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Actually, now that you mention it, I don't see why he couldn't play the good doctor in live action with a little movie makeup magic.

if they do a cgi robotnik when all the other humans are humans im gonna scream

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    None of this would be an issue if they just made the entire movie CGI.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Of course this, but unfortunately, here we are.

Ekk, no please just do CGI Eggman. Yes it might be jarring, but even in SA1 and 2 you had Eggman running around with real people (well they were supposed to be more realistic anyway). He doesn't look like a person, nor does it look good when they design him to have more realistic proportions (Sonic 06 Eggman). If Eggman is a real person you start getting into Smurfs' gargamel territory... no thank you.

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'm not convinced they couldn't pull off a decent looking Robotnik-on-the-real. Certainly they can do better than '06. Even the rendition in Eddie LeBron's fan film looked pretty good, and that's without Hollywood costume teams and official input.

10. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

As long as they CGI the mustache in.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I very partially wish they could do Dr Robotnik like Richard Elson did him in Sonic the Comic (post-AoStH coat!! - ie. his current one), and so be able to use a real (and I guess morbidly obese) actor to play as him; shame about the face though still. But then only us STC fans would be able to appreciate the nod to the comic.

I was going to say that I'm surprised one of the companies hadn't started doing a Mario film yet, but then I found out there will be one - by Illumination Entertainmen, who did the likes of Despicable Me and Minions.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I was thinking the same thing. Eggman was the best part of Eddie LaBron's film. I would love Mike Polluck playing a live action Eggman.

This movie is going to suck. Not because it's Sonic necessarily, but because including Wrek-It Ralph there is 1 good videogame movie. Movies like Mortal Kombat, Dragon Ball Z, and Super Mario Bros come readily to mind.

13. Flygon

Flygon

Oi, Mortal Kombat was amazing. Yes, powered entirely by cheese, but that's what made it amazing.

Just my own opinion, of course. I've noticed the film tends to be a love it or hate it.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Counterpoints:

Still, it's pretty uncommon, and all but impossible in the west.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The one with completely CG visuals and no dialogue. Not an apt comparison.
    http://youtu.be/S8UEOk_wpNY
    Boom designs aside, I have a hard time finding a way to reconcile CG and people in a way that isn't jarring or uncanny valley.
    http://youtu.be/JtCtQpclpY8
    I'm holding out for a trailer to change my mind, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Seconding this; the first movie is legendary (I often see it cited as the exception to the 'video game movies are bad' rule).

18. Regarding video game movies that don't suck, I thoroughly enjoyed DOA: Dead or Alive. I don't know what the consensus is on this one, but my wife and I found it pretty fun.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    DOA is generally well liked actually.

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Mirai Ninja rules. Also I don't know anyone who doesn't love the Resident Evil movies.