don't click here

Sonic Spinball Tilesets

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by FireRat, Nov 28, 2019.

1. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    I have found the palette address for the machine in sonic spinball, it's located at $10FC.
    So i done a test: I took the Metropolis Zone's foreground palette line and put it into The Machine
    Here is the result:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it fits pretty well.
    So I was thinking, according to what we know, Metropolis and Genocide City would share the tileset on a similar way that happens between Emerald Hill and Hill Top. And we know that The Machine recycled art from Genocide City. Does anyone know if Sonic Spinball uses a tileset system like Sonic 2? with 16x16 blocks and maybe even 128x128 chunks? I would love to compare it with Metropolis, but I can't find the addresses.

2. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    Don't host on Dropbox directly, you can't hotlink from there. Use a site like imgur instead.

Reuploaded image:

[​IMG]

Anyways, Sonic Spinball was written in an entirely different engine than the classic Sonic series (wiki claims it was programmed in C instead of ASM like almost every other Mega Drive game) so the odds of it having the same chunk system as the classic Sonic series is about 0.

EDIT: It seems your images work on my phone but not on my computer. Strange.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  3. Vangar

Vangar

Holy shit though, that works EXTREMELY well. The gears and pistons look amazing?

Can you do the reverse into Sonic 2?

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Sonic Spinball is notorious for having Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone rocks in the first stage.

To be fair though, the above could be a coincidence...

5. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Silly question, which is unsurprising given my level of sleep deprivation right now, but which part could be a coincidence, the original post, or the HPZ recycling?

6. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    Dropbox is weird, the first version of the post was a hotlink indeed, but I later added the IMG tags and appears just fine here...
    Anyways, using a tileset handling system is not uncalled for, a lot of games rely on blocks system (in the case of 16x16 blocks, you'd get 4 times a tilemap's size with a single array). Blocks aren't exclusive to Sonic games, even SMB3 or SMW are made like this.
    Not only does Spinball feature recycled art with matching palette arrangement; Knuckles' Chaotix (and Crackers) features a different engine written by someone else too, but it also happens to feature a chunk system, in 128x128 size just like Sonic 2 and 3/K. I don't think a chunk system would have been required for Spinball-styled levels, but the language is definitely not a barrier against what you can plan to program (unless we talk about, for example, CPU efficiency, which Spinball clearly lacks, so particle effects really are a bad idea here).
    This is why, although I don't see much use from it, I don't think the chances for a chunk system are about 0.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, you get that just by directly swapping the palettes with Metropolis'? I'm surprised that none of us ever thought of trying this before...

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is spot on palette wise. I'd love to see what metropolis looks like with that purple palette.

9. Zero modifications would be extremely surprising - but since it seems to be that way...

10. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    This is how Metropolis looks like with this palette (no match with the background palette):
    [​IMG]

From our part, I have no news about level blocks yet. It would be interesting if there were also more similarities to Metropolis I think :P

11. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Looks kind of ok for a cyber city at night time.