don't click here

Sonic Rivals and Sonic 3 Multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by PsuitablePseudonym, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm curious, how similar is Sonic Rivals to Sonic 3's multiplayer races?

For shorthand, I'm just going to refer to Sonic 3's multiplayer races as Sonic 3—whenever I talk about Sonic 3 here, I'm never talking about the single player.

I know Sonic 3 pretty well, but I've never played Sonic Rivals. For one thing, the characters are more distinct in Sonic Rivals, right? In Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles seem pretty similar, if not exactly the same. And Tails' flying ability seems largely pointless.

Also, the courses are much longer in Sonic Rivals, right? Sonic 3's courses are pretty short; everyone's best lap times are far under a minute.

On the other hand, I can't imagine that Sonic Rivals' courses are much more interactive than Sonic 3's. I still think it's kind of surprising how many gimmicks are packed into the Sonic 3 courses—falling platforms, buttons to press, popping balloons, and more. Are there any new gimmicks in Sonic Rivals? Or, as a Sonic fan, will I pretty much know what gimmicks to expect? How frequently do the courses use gimmicks? Would you say that the use of gimmicks is similar to how the gimmicks are used in Sonic 3?

Also, how are the bosses in Sonic Rivals? Would you compare them to the old school Sonic games, any of the Sonic Advance games, or the Sonic Rush games?

Are there any other regards in which you might compare/contrast Sonic 3 to Sonic Rivals? This is all I could think of, but I reckon someone who knows Sonic Rivals could probably pick out a few different aspects to talk about, too.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Apart from their special moves, the characters in Rivals all play the same. The stages are ok, nothing special. The physics and speed cap are what ruins the game for me.

3. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The levels are basically regular Sonic levels that you must race on instead of explore.

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Let's see here:

Characters:
    It's been said, but the characters in Rivals are all the same, bar special ability:

Sonic: Sonic Boom (boost)
    Tails: Flight
    Knuckles: Hammer Punch (SRV1) / Knuckle Slam (SRV2)
    Shadow: Chaos Control (slows down time)
    Silver: Psychic Control (alters enemy controls)
    Rouge: I forgot the name, but it summons a bunch of bat bombs that make a shield. She can also shoot them at other players
    Espio: Invisibility (forgot the name)
    Metal Sonic: whatever the enemy has, will use Sonic Boom if there is no enemy

Stages:
    The stages in Rivals 1 are pretty linear, albeit varied. Also pits everywhere. Meanwhile, Rivals 2 stages are Sonic 3 (single player) huge. Alternate paths out the ass, and nary a pit in sight (ok, there's like...5 in the entire game). Rivals 2 gets a special mention for using a Wild West themed stage.

Gimmicks are taken from all eras of Sonic games. From slot machines, to poles you can clime, to the jumping panels of the adventure games, the pipes of chemical plant, and there's even a teleporter in one of the stages. There's also a level where you team up with another character, and they'll use their powers to clear obstacles for you. As for frequency, you won't go 5 seconds without running into some kind of obstacle unless you're at the end of a level.

Bosses:
    The bosses are basically Sonic Rush style, which is classic bosses on a 3d plane. I think all of the bosses of Rivals 1 take place on circular fields (except the last one). Rivals 2 changes it up a bit with two chasing bosses, a cave boss, two bosses where you have to use a stage gimmick to attack, and then tops it all of with a free falling boss battle. Come to think of it, I think the final boss of Rivals 2 may be the only one of it's kind. I can't recall any other free falling bosses.

It's generally six hits for the kill (8 for final bosses), but you have to get all 6 hits yourself, attacking isn't always direct, and you have to stop your rivals from getting 6 hits before you. If Metal Sonic (or Metal Sonic 3.0) is your rival, then it's a two on one battle. He's out to stop you cause he's working with the boss.

The single biggest issue with both Rivals games is that the physics are basically based on Sonic Rush/Sonic 4. Rolling doesn't do jack slag, and you need boosters to maintain speed. They DO have the neat feature hat you can cancel rolling by pressing up though.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Rivals 2 gets extra bonus points for having a free play mode, where you can just play the levels without racing someone.

Too bad there's not much to do when doing that other than find new paths you can use against rivals.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Would Egg Dragoon count?

7. Whoa, lots of info in this topic. Thanks all!

...huh. Showed this to a friend of mine (calls himself Slashy 'round these here parts) and he brought up an interesting point. Based on Sonic Rivals 2, do you think Backbone Entertainment could handle Sonic 4 episode 2? Now, of course, I don't mean in terms of business decisions or whatever—I mean, do you think they would be good designers for Sonic 4?

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, they actually were making a proper Sonic platformer for PSP under the name Sonic Lightning. However, the god of all things "brilliant" Takashi Iizuka decided it'd be better as a vs. mode racing game only. Even in single player.

Stupid idea.

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yes it would. Thanks.

I think Backbone has what it takes to design something along the lines of a proper Sonic 4. One only needs to take a look at the levels in Rivals 2 to see that. They'd just need to change up the engine to accommodate. In fact I imagine it was a proper platforming engine before Iizuka came along and added his "midas touch"

10. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    In Sonic 3, Tails' flying ability wasn't completely useless as it allowed him to easily access a glitched shortcut in Balloon Park that seems to have been fixed in S3&K. I think Sonic and Knuckles could do it too, but it was kinda difficult for them.

Overall, Rivals makes for a more varied experience as it's not the same small area being repeated for five laps.

11. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    The physics are actually worse. If you're upside-down on a loop or ceil, and attempt to jump, the character with act as if it was in plain ground, but upside-down, like when you reverse gravity in Sonic3K: the character will go down, but as the "gravity" effect slows the vertical speed, the character will go up, and return to the ceilling, but in the middle of the path it remembers "oh, yeah, that's right, I'm upside-down..." and go back to the normal physics law behavior of going down until it hits the ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.