don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Yes the purple/pink will be under rotation, and as always, until the final article, the zone, palette included, will be under constant revision. I've actually tweaked a lot of things already since that pic, and I only took that pic a couple of hours ago. The art for Act 1 is about 60% finished at the moment, with the majority of the work now just being to put the 256 chunks together. Once it's all drawn, I'll go back and revise everything, adding details where I can and tweaking palettes.

2. Digifiend

Digifiend

Downloaded Sonic the Hedgehog Megamix yesterday. I can already say it's the best unofficial Sonic game I've ever played. Keep up the good work guys. :)

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I smell Sonic Crackers. Good fit too, even though for the music used in the stage, I expected something more sinister looking for some reason.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Ahh, sha-weet!!

looking good Stephen, I can see a good sense of detail put into this and can't wait for the final result, although tbh, I never imagined MBZ to look this way, not too sure why though.

but anyways, great work is great.

5. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    I imagined it. I've seen that background in the older topic. :P

Still doesn't cease to amaze me though. Great work, Stephan. :thumbsup:

6. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    A few more pics showing the latest progress. The tiles are only about 80% complete, but you'll get the idea.

<div align='center'>[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]</div>

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Love the new palette for the blues on the background. The wall tile pattern is very quirky and doesn't look repetitive either, which is good also. Nice one.

8. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I do hope it is like that in the final. The end glass wall thing, although I am sure that's how the final art is going to go. Don't know about Sonic behind the glass though. Unless SOMEHOW the Metallic Madness act 2 inside outside plane puzzles are recreated.

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Granted, that edge doesn't look bad, I'm not sure if that's where he's going with it though.

10. Mikel

Mikel

That is epic, Stephen, nice work, I like the mixture of Sonic Crackers and Sonic CD tiles and chunks, and is the background deformation going to be changed, or will it be the same deformation as the original SBZ from Sonic 1 Reversion 1?

11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Really excellent.

Still, I think a blue sky like that wouldn't fit with an industrial area who is supposed to be polluted.

I suggest something like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Master3k

Master3k

Fucking awesome art is fucking awesome.

Ice Sonic's suggestion for sky would make it even better IMO.

13. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I like it! It's really awesome, but I do agree, the sky does need to change.

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Palette limitations would prevent me from doing that palette change without ruining other aspects such as the glass and other parts. The feel I was going for was something along the lines of Metallic Madness Good Future. It was always one of my favourite zones in terms of art, while still maintaining the mechanical feel. Another example is Launch Base, which shows that a mechanical style zone doesn't necessarily need to look polluted and evil to work. The polluted side of it will come from Act 3 of Metallic Base, which I currently have big plans for in terms of design. I believe it will all come together very well once it's finished.

15. The sky background's a little too repetitive horizontally, but is that because you're restricted to that size? If not, change it up, stretch it horizontally, it really looks to repetitive like that.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    In other words lets go with his original plan, as he has things under control.

17. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    You have no idea how antsy this project is making me. I think I'm going to piss my pants with anticipation! XD

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    background's okay, foreground is horrible. The tiling is extremly obvious and repetitive.

19. Chaud

Chaud

I was feeling that something was strange about the graphics, and couldn't tell what it was... Until I read Chimpo's post.

I wouldn't say that the foreground is "horrible", I do liked the art. But really, it isn't smooth like most Sonic levels, it creates the feeling that was built in big LEGO blocks. (The comparison is a bit exaggerated, but you understand what I mean.) And this sure was a wonderful update, and I'm anxious just thinking about the final version of the game. :)

20. I think it looks good, it has the neutral present sonic cd style to it. thats all I can really say keep it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.