don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Maybe the Phantom Ruby is what happened to 06's blue Chaos Emerald when the story retconned itself and put a stop to Elise and Silver's game of infinite hot potato. :specialed:

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    As always, you're seriously going to far with your theories, mostly because you're trying again fixing a weak plot and its holes Sonic Team never bothered to fix themselves. Anyway, if you gotta go all this way, here's some quick random theories for your amusement:

- Phantom Ruby is some poop left behind by Time Eater when messing with timeline in Generations.

- Phantom Ruby was Lost Hex's core/magical jewel/whatever, and it felt to the main world when the deadly Six were doin' their thing. Don't dare to tell me that can't be, the fucking jewel warps time and space.

- Phantom Ruby is a genius work from Iizuka to dethrone Master Emerald or the Time Stones as the important magical jewels able to warp dimensions, travel through time, and even make a plot around them. Iizuka laguhed in a sinister way when he had the chance to corrupt the classic gameplay with his ubersome mcguffin no other game could beat. Mwahahaha!!!

From all the wacky ideas to choose from, I'd pick this last one as the real thing, everything else adjusted to fit the scheme of the greatest enemies of Sonic: their owners.

Bonus track: if you do some scratching on the Mania vinyls, you might hear the sound effect from phantom ruby/Infinite. :tinfoil:

3. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Finally, someone with the right mindset on theories!

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I was unaware Forces is already out and you guys had played it :v:

5. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Where can I get these laxatives that make me shit mythical diamonds? :specialed:

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Seems my Steam sales concerns may have been unfounded. Sales are exponentially increasing with Steam's last update showing the game at 111K. So an increase of almost 10K since I posted my concerns. Should the game get promotional discounts or be included in bundles and so on like Sonic CD was sales will probably sky rocket. Awesome to see the game performing so well.

Bodes well for the future of the series. Wouldn't be surprised to see another game like this announced next year. Mania 2 or something similar.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    On the "similarities" of Egg Reverie (00:55) and Fist Bump (00:50): I only hear some main melody rhythm similarities. Nothing else, not even in the same key. Purely confidential. ER had more in common with "The Doomsday Zone."

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

Sonic's Mania end pose is exactly the same as the one in the first Forces teaser trailer.

9. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned. Yahtzee did a review of this game. Like every Sonic game, he hated it. Surprising no one. But this review shows, that he's actually just bad at Sonic games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A1qOioXhsM

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    So... will SEGA ever remove Denuvo?

Still really, really pissed about it.

11. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    There is a new build in the Beta. Whether or not this is a Denovo-less build can't be said until it goes public.

On an unrelated note: I'm glad the game is selling so well. Says sequel better than any sign from Sega.

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    At this point, I'm genuinely convinced Zero Punctuation is some kind of parody show.
    Like, the dude literally loathes every game he review. He has to be exaggerating for the sake of comedy.

But even with that in mind, I've never been a fan of his show, he always came out as incredibly disrespectful to me. I have nothing against making fun of people (in fact, I love this type of humor), but in my opinion, you also need to make fun of yourself to show that you don't really mean the things you said. But that's never present in his show, it's always "I'm better than everybody and you have shit tastes for liking something that I don't"

Also, the Sonic cycle ? Really :colbert: ? I thought we were done with this. At least he didn't mention Sonic 06

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Yahtzee didnt really hate it, he just pointed out that it only emulates the Classic Sonic games without fixing their inherent design flaws. So he didn't like it but didn't say it was a bad game. The problem is he didn't really discuss what the design flaws are. He did discuss how Sonic's signature speed doesn't always blend well with platforming (since you can't always see what's coming up). I disagree but think that's a fair criticism. He criticised the 10 minute time limit and poor bosses which I actually agree with. He also criticised the way Sonic handles multi path level design (that you can't always backtrack to an earlier path) which I just thought was...odd.

It's his worst Sonic review though, his Rise of Lyric and Generations reviews were funny, so I was expecting better. The fact he spent so much time criticising Sonic 1-3 shows he didnt have much to work with Mania in my opinion.

Yahtzee is really complete parody based on serious views, but he's not a sophisticated critic. I really like him but wish his fans wouldn't take him so seriously.

14. The weird thing is that in all his past Sonic reviews he's consistently referred to the 16-bit games as "good" and praised them while shitting on Sonic's entire 3D history. I'm quite surprised that he didn't give Mania a fairly positive review considering he referred to "classic Sonic loveliness" in Generations. It's quite a weak review, too. Not much to laugh at, not many good points made.

15. Deef

Deef

I agree with the backtracking remark. The way GHZ has a few one-way sections for no reason I can see really baffles me... since I find it to be nothing but annoying. Especially when there are tonnes of natural ways they can do the same thing if they really must create a 1-way path. Double-especially since the whole end section of Act 1 is just a lockout, even before you reach the camera-meet-boss area. You can't go back and play... I really do not see the value of this.

16. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Sonic 3 does this almost all the time. The benefit is that players don't get lost. Think of how many people complain about the stages being confusing, labyrinthine, mazes. The blockages keep people frome getting confused by the numerous paths and shifts in direction/orientation. You may think its not a big deal, but look at stages like Sandopolis or Oil Ocean. Half the time shit blends in and the direction becomes very vauge. If you miss something you can always come back and get it in another playthrough. Don't see the issue honestly.

17. Problem with 3K and Mania is that you most of the time cannot predict then you hit points of no return. Frustrating while playing as Sonic. Playing Knuckles or Tails can mitigate this a bit... Anyway very annoying for exploration type players, which I represent. I can see the logic of ZP review. The 10 minute limit plays into it.

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    He's complaining about it entirely around emerald collection though, and emeralds have always been hard to collect. It's the post-game challenge.

I think it's better to have more understandable level design than Sonic CD-esque backtracking available. If you open up all backtracking you are going to confuse the player, especially since Mania has a lot of left moving level design.

I think it was a bad review, especially since he spends most of his time saying Sonic was never really that good from a gameplay perspective and his style was just covering up the gameplay cracks. It's the kind of thing we laugh about literally all the time.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    What a boring video. Seems like he's a tryhard contrarian.
    And the constant rushed talking with no breaks isn't a hip funny way of editing together, it just sucks. Could have been funny but failed.

20. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Wow, welcome to the Internet! This is a message board. Over there are the lolcats.