don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well Knuckles Chaotix had Blue Spheres. Granted those special stages were like Sonic 2 Half-pipe on steroids + Blue Spheres so it was different enough, but they did show up again. But yes, I'm hoping for a unique idea and NOT the half-pipe again. If you're going to repeat a special stage repeat blue spheres, but for the love of god not the half-pipe.

But the classic Special stages seemed to always contain some bit of hardware pushing fun. Of course I doubt Mania will feature anything that'll push modern hardware, but I would like to see it's take on pushing the Saturn's hardware.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCc2U_A4YzE

Polygon put up this video of Nick Robinson basically just praising Sonic Mania. Nothing new of course but it shows pretty well to non-Sonic fans why this won't be another bad attempt at going back to Sonic's roots like Sonic 4 was.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I think he probably should had made more of a distinction of Mania being a game for the older Sonic fans, rather than Sonic fans in general. Pretty sure there will be some fans of post-Genesis Sonic taking his comments at face value and saying "Mania doesn't represent my Sonic", "this isn't the Sonic game I want", or something like that.

But otherwise yeah, his comments are right on the money.

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I reckon there are still more elements from the old Sonic prototypes still to be discovered in Mania. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the old wrecking ball in Green Hill Zone 2, for example.

5. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Ok so back to the whole music side. So how is this game going to work with one of the Sonic CD zones? Like say Tidal Tempest for example, are they going to use the JAP/EURO or the USA music? It's not like Sonic CD 2011 where we can change it to what ever region we prefer

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably the JP/EU Track, as that seems to be considered the more "official" soundtrack. Or they may find a way to include little bits of both in the same song, or one act is JP and the other is US.

Please not Tidal Tempest though that level was a mess. My vote is for Quartz Quadrant (99% chance it's going to be Stardust Speedway though that almost seems to be a mandate at this point).

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'd also like Quartz Quadrant. I hope we don't get Stardust Speedway. I know it's generally the favorite, but I'd rather not revisit much of what was already revisited in Generations.

8. Amnimator

Amnimator

Better be Quartz Quadrant. Arguably the most unique stage in Sonic CD. That and Studiopolis is pretty similar to Stardust Speedway in aesthetic. Although, they'll likely end up with Stardust, because of the nostalgia points it has behind it.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean they could easily throw a Metal Sonic race into another level if need be. Plus it'd be fun to see one of Sonic CD's more unique bosses remixed (unique outside the context of the other classics, not specifically any SCD boss), I bet they could do a lot with that treadmill boss from QQZ.

Speaking of which, I wonder what the bosses will be like? Will they go for a Sonic 4 remix type thing, just stick to the original battle, or come up with something completely different? We've already seen the GHZ miniboss which has a nice take on the wrecking ball boss, but we haven't seen Robotnik yet.

10. I didn't even know Sonic CD was going to feature? Do we have a list of games being used then?

In that case Collision Chaos good future! Without a doubt my favorite Sonic level art, just perfect.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Source

There's more that I can't remember specifically, but you get the gist. All of the main five classic games, with both S3 and SK getting separate representation. I believe Taxman himself made the latter clear. Can't remember for sure though.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I think the idea of the remixed music in the CD stages being a hybrid of the Jp & NA tracks is really cool. Either that or if you can time-travel in the Sonic CD stages in Mania then one time zone could feature remixed NA music and the other remixed Jp music.

We do know the Green Hill Eggman boss in Mania is a "walking contraption" but that's all we know. Could be similar to Palmtree Panic's walking Eggman boss and hopefully more challenging!

I think all Eggman bosses should be completely new and original. Maybe the mini-bosses can be similar to the boss fights from the original games?

I want the unused Sonic CD R2 Eggman boss and the unsued R9 final fever boss re-designed for Mania.

13. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I merely use Tidal Tempest as a example, and yes we all know it's a mess in that level. If Tee doing a bit of a both of the music in it, won't that be difficult to make? Has anyone done something like this before? Hmmmmmm...

14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I'm glad we're all voting Quartz Quadrant, but come on: Mirage Saloon was the Sonic CD pick. :ruby:

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I thought it was the Sonic 2 pick.

16. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
  17. If I had to guess, I think as far as the music for the Sonic CD level, they'd have the game randomly pick between the US and JP music when the level loads. You get representation from both sides, and if they silently made that a feature instead of telling everybody ahead of time, you'd have that point where you find out that somebody else got different music than you did when you played it, and you suddenly want to go back and see why. Or, you get that "oh shit" moment if you replay the level a second time without having gone online to find out that the game does that. The way that the game is being put together, I'm sure that they want to have references that you don't catch the first time you play, and something like swapping music back and forth on play-sessions would help incorporate that feeling.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I got the joke, man. I was playing along, cause Mirage Saloon is based on Desert Dazzle which was based on Dust Hill.

19. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    When one becomes so absorbed in their own attempts at humor, they discard everything that surrounds them...

And has no one considered they could just use the JP track for one act and the NA one for the other? This is of course assuming there's even an SCD level, which I'm not sure I'm sold on.

20. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    They could just put in an option to switch it from JP to US. Or do what Generations did.