don't click here

Sonic Maker

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Ah, yes, spot on.

That aught to be fun!

Suggestions are also welcome.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Some pretty ambitious stuff, there.

I hope all that physics customization comes with a "pre-set" that lets us just have the classic physics without having to fiddle with everything, though.

3. dsrb

dsrb

> Not all people want perfect Genesis physics, although most do, so I will make it possible for people to change the following:

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't get it.

5. dsrb

dsrb

SP asked if there will be a preset for classic physics. Clearly there is, because classic physics are the default.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Ah, I see. That doesn't necessarily mean there'll be a button to reset back to classic physics once you've changed them, though.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh yes it does.

8. ReL0aDed

ReL0aDed

With a level editor like this, even people with zero hacking skills like myself might be able to create their own Sonic fangames. My head is stuffed with ideas, it would be nice to let those ideas flow freely in this editor somewhere in the future time :)

9. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Oh I want a C-style scripting language :P

I'm really excited about this, especially the online showcase. As I said previously, I have a million ideas how I could make the showcase, but that's up to you I suppose. Feel free to PM me if you want me to make the online end or need any help. I'd love to help out on a project like this.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That doesn't say anything about a default, it just says you can change stuff.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ok, people are arguing... here we go, extra details in red:

Finish Tile Scrollbar
    —Give it a smooth sorta scrolling effect, instead of just swapping for the next one.
    Copy For Objects
    —The object editor needs a scrolling list aswell, just as effective.
    Add Selection Options
    —If you hold control, click and drag, you can select objects, depending on what editor you're in. All you can do at the moment is delete. I want copy, cut and just
    —for collsion, change what type of shape it is (what platform, what layer).
    Add Zoom For Main Editing
    —I can't actually add zoom, I don't think, but I can add a small window which shows a zoomed in view following the mouse.
    Add Tile Maker (not what you think)
    —The tile maker that you might have seen on the Sonic Maker youtube channel has been scrapped, in favour of the new collision placement system. What I am
    —talking about, is adding tiles to the tile list within Sonic Maker, the whole point of it is to make the entire game inside it.
    Add Layout Size Options
    —Options to change the level size, basically...
    Add BG Parallax Maker =)
    —Oh yes! Every Sonic game needs parallax backgrounds, and so should yours!
    —This will allow you to import 1 image, the size of the view, or wider, and let you slide sliders, to seperate the image into up to 20 slices, and you can set the
    —scrolling properties of each section. (You can enter a number, the scrolling of that section will be the view_x devided by it. Oh, and if you'd like moving clouds or water, I'll make it possible to give them their own speed).
    —Simples!
    Sprite Editor
    —Hmm. After all I learnt making 'Doodle Pad' in GM (Can be found on GMC, if sounds interesting), I can now easy create painting programs, and to take
    —advantage of that, you will be able to customise nearly all the sprites in the games you make.
    Music Import
    —Of course.
    Physics Change
    —Not all people want perfect Genesis physics, although most do, so I will make it possible for people to change the following:
    ----Accelleration
    ----Deacceleration
    ----Friction
    ----Jump height
    ----Jump limit
    ----Jump limitation
    ----Gravity
    ----Top speed
    —..I might have missed stuff, but oh well.
    —And people will be able to change their physics back to Genesis, if they make a cock up.
    Animation Speeds Change
    —Yeah, animation speed changing.
    Gimmick Implementation
    —I haven't talked about this to the maker of the engine, but I'm sure some sort of drag & drop code can be sorted.

There.

12. GHFan

GHFan

One thing I would want:
    Being able to assemble several levels into a "game", complete with its own title screen and menus (could just be the same thing for all, but with different backgrounds) That would be awesome. Oh, and editable title cards.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    ;)

And something to make mouthes water:
    [​IMG]
    Yay!

I must stress that this is only a mock up. Although it resebles the planned real thing in many ways:
    -Layout
    -Ui
    -Umm....
    Basically shows you how easy it will be to create a complex parallax background.

More things like this coming soon.

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Now just add an ASM output feature for this parallax editor and your Tech Member status is safe. =P

Seriously, this and pretty much the entire program is awesome, but it's sad that I will probably never need it, unless you really add hack support.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Once again, if he chooses to add a scripting language for this (Lua or Ruby would be nice), it could theoretically be made to output ASM too. An all in one Sonic Maker would be grand.

Off topic but I really don't think people should be striving for a tech member status. It's not some kind of status symbol, it's recognition for your hard work in a particular area. Atleast, that's how I've always looked at it. Just my 2 cents.

16. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I google around and supposedly, you can make a custom script using your own syntax.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I doubt I will include code and even if I do, it would just be GML.

And I don't care about having Tech Member status, I don't even think Sonic Maker is very techy...

Besides, people only get Tech if they either involve hacks, or let the user bugger around with code.

Anyway, I shall include drag and drop, since it's meant to be an easy altearnative to hacking, and I can make limitations.

18. Espilonarge

Espilonarge

With tile-sheets, will we be able to "rotate" them in the editor or will we have to make mirror'd versions in the same tile-sheet? Also will animated backgrounds and tilesheets be supported (say in GIF format), such as animated waterfalls/lava/etc?

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Importing gifs will animate objects, or a parallax BG.

20. ReL0aDed

ReL0aDed

Are you restricted to the same limited color-palette with Sonic Maker, just like the Sonic games on the Genesis?