don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I've thought about it briefly. If I do do anything with Unreal 4, it would probably be a single level, not a full game.

Seeing as the topic has been brought up, here's a little snippet for you all. Sonic is one of two playable characters in Incursion. This other character plays differently to Sonic, both characters have a different final zone, final boss, and certain third acts are different or omitted entirely based on who you are playing as. Also, someone is now helping me with the game by creating models. When I have enough content to make a new trailer, the villian will be shown (although I'm surprised nobody guessed who it is, just by the placeholder stuff I've used) and I hope you all like it!

2. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So, today, after much deliberation, Sonic Incursion is no more. While you may be wondering what will happen to my near two years worth of work, fear not, for something far better has taken it's place...

Eggman Incursion!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Uu2E-qWdE[/youtube]

3. Best fangame of the cen... day!

Eggman would be great as an easter egg...

4. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Does anyone have access to a rigged Omochao model I could use? I plan to use it for a (optional) tutorial level.

5. Wipeout2097

Wipeout2097

like something
    I must say, I find this really, really cool! I liked the 2D sections in Gens, and this seemed similiar to Classic gameplay in that game. Just a few questions, though:

• Will this game support Linux upon release?
    • Will the game have any semblance of a storyline? If none is currently planned, I might be able to assist with such a thing.
    • Are you going to permanently stick with the Generations model? Because I feel it would better with either the Colors or '06 models.
    I also noticed that the screenshots are broken, I dunno if you want to do anything about that.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I would love to have Incursion available to everyone, but I don't know about Linux. I will look into it when I'm closer to completion, but I wouldn't rule it out.

There is a story. I've deliberatly kept this under wraps, simply because I needed assets to do the story justice...which I now can. In terms of how it is delivered, I'm aiming for an intro cutscene to set things up, then to have things occuring in the background of regular stages to progress it. Any cutscenes will be kept to 2D, excluding the intro and ending. I will be showing the villian in the next trailer (whenever that is) and I'm pretty sure you guys will love it.

I'm going to stick with the Gens model. The Colours model available for SGDK isn't animated very well, and my animation skills aren't good enough to reanimate it fully. This also goes for an 06 model. I have the source Gens model, so I can add animations when I need to, which I couldn't do with the others.

Thanks for pointing this out, and thanks for your questions!

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You do realize the Colors model is essentially a lower poly version of the Generations model, right?

And on another note, the 06 model? eww.

8. Felik

Felik

Mouth is drawn instead of polygonal. That is important

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    This is looking pretty great! And that April Fools video is just brilliant :v: Can't wait to see more from this, especially that villain trailer that you mentioned.

10. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    If you are confident with Flash, I could really use your help. I am looking for someone who would be willing to join me, what I specifically need is new menus. Hit me a PM if you are interested, it would help me out so much.

Also, a little something for you all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'm still looking for anyone who can help with making menus. More pressing though, is someone who can rig models or has experience with Blender. Please send me a PM if you're interested. Alternatively, get me on Skype - elljack678 / [email protected].

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Those screenshots look fantastic! Perhaps a bit too realistic looking for Sonic but still beautiful none the less.

I don't know why but I'm getting some Crash Bandicoot vibes from the levels.

13. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thanks! I've been working steadily since those last screenshots were put up. I know I haven't shown anything since then, but there's been a few changes, improvements and just general progress. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys think of it.

Regarding the rigging issue, it's not a massive job. I have a rigged model that animates fine in Blender, but when I put it into UDK, it either crashes UDK or doesn't animate properly (usually flipping the model then only moving one bone). I can only just animate things for Incursion, but I cannot rig or model, hence why I could do with someone with experience taking a look at it.

14. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metal Sonic is the second playable character in Sonic Incursion. His playstyle is slightly different from Sonic - he can use the homing attack, boost, air dash and stomp, but cannot spin dash and he is slightly slower than Sonic. He also cannot use shield abilities, like the flame dash. A couple of Act 3's are different for each character, and their final levels are totally different. The two may play only slightly different, but it's a different experience none the less. Here is a slightly old video of Metal Sonic in the GDK test map. The animations are done by myself, with the model from RandomTalkingBush. Because it's old, the idle animation no longer has the sound and the particle effect, and the running animation is better now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNpyKFy0bdY[/youtube]

Progress on Incursion is ongoing, but much slower than before. I've got college work to do as well as my job, both of which are tiring. There has been a slight shift in the level order, with a new zone being second, instead of Ruined Relic (it's slow, and not really suitable for the second stage). This takes the final level count up to 9, with, as previously mentioned, the final zone being different for both characters.

15. Very very good Ell678.
    Foreground in those screenshots seem too dark to me, maybe it looks better in motion.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxk1nQufFdM[/youtube]

What do you think? This is the new second zone in the game and is fairly recent in the development of the game.

17. HyperBE32

HyperBE32

Blast Processing Member
    Cheshire, England
    Marathon
    A note from 2018; I tried to run this game in 2015 on a terrible ATi Radeon card.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Hmm, not heard of that before. What are your specs?

19. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [​IMG]

I am very pleased to show you the long, long, long overdue trailer for Sonic Incursion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3BwUgA9iE[/youtube]

Yes, the Metallix are the bad guys!

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Only note of criticism is that playable Metal Sonic's animations could use some work. However besides that this is probably the most legitimate thing to ever come out of the Sonic GDK. Reallllyyy good work here.