don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I'm a little late to the party but check this out. Sonic Generations for PS3 went down to $30 retail price at Target so I bought it. If you haven't gotten your copy yet, now's the chance for a much better deal for a new copy. I can't wait to see how far I can get.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Why is it still cheaper to buy the boxed PC release, which you have to register on Steam anyway?

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well, I got Sonic Generations for $20 through nuuvem, but it's in portuguese.

4. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    I have a computer which is strong enough to run Generations, but there's this optimus program preventing my computer from using my dedicated video card, instead opting for the crappy intel graphics. Can anyone help me? I tried the demo and to have a decent frame rate I had to lower the resolution A LOT.
    BTW, I have a Dell XPS, laptop. I really want to enjoy all the wonderful mods in the hacking thread! :(
    I've tried reading online, but most of the advice was getting a second monitor...

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I had the same problem. While I did have a second monitor and that solution worked for, I later found this solution that doesn't need one and does work: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29595554&postcount=87

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Anyone up for sharing their info?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. upg

upg

This is a little off topic - but I was playing this rom hack of Sonic 1, and thought, do you think Generation's hub world could have been inspired by this?

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Generations was in development long before S1SAGE was released.

9. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    But it was released after S1SAGE. The hub could have been designed later in its development. I think it's unlikely that Generations was inspired by S1SAGE, but I don't think your point disproves it either.

10. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    No, it is very unlikely that the hug world was designed later in development. A lot of decisions on game design needs to be agreed on early on or else problems arise.

I think its nothing more than a coincidence.

11. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    It's not a huge world. It's a menu with clever presentation. The job it's doing could have easily been served by a list of level names. I don't think its design has implications in any of the rest of the game. There's no evidence to suggest that it was in the game's design from the start.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Are you seriously making this argument? There's no evidence to say it wasn't there since the start of development. Oh actually, several cutscenes are set in it and the very first batch of screenshots we saw included it along with the press release talking about a new, interactive menu system. It's not a particularly original concept either- several games have had similar menus over the years.

13. dsrb

dsrb

Pretty sure he meant hub world, not “huge world”…
    Damn you, auto-correct :P

14. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Sonic Advance 3 called:

Hub worlds like this are not somethng new for Sonic. There is no evidence White Space wasn't what Sonic Team planned since the very beginning.

15. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I'm not saying that the hub world was something that was designed late in development. I'm just saying that it's a bit of an assumption to say it was definitely designed early on. The concept of the two Sonics meeting in a place outside of the constraints of time and space was likely decided early on, but I don't think it was definitely planned as a way for the player to access levels at that point. It probably was, but I'm not so confident about that assumption.

16. upg

upg

What's undeniable is that they do look very similar in presentation, more so than the Sonic Advanced example (The lack of background elements; portions of each zone being shown at each entry gate)
    Generations was in development true, but S1SAGE was released over a year before Generations was, that's a lot of time but I could be wrong and this all could be pure coincidence

At the end of the day, Generations used the same basic idea - whether the hub world was inspired by S1SAGE or not, great minds definitely do think alike!

17. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    This. Sorry for the confusion.

Everything has to be decided early on in pre-production. It's the way game development works or else we get messes like Sonic '06. Huge decisions such as including a hub world to select the levels can't just be thrown in the middle of development! The idea may be simple but I assure you that the execution is not!

It's also very unlikely that a Japanese development team took any kind of ideas from an American ROM hacking site. I'd think it would be more likely if SEGA of America was developing but nearly 0 chances since it's Sonic Team Japan. It was probably decided in the first or so game design meeting that the hub world must be "very simple, yet fun and interactive".

It's a neat coincidence though!

18. Falk

Falk

No, are you guys on crack or something? They're absolutely right. Obviously when Iizuka saw S1SAGE (when he was furiously browsing the internet because he has nothing better to do), it was such a novel idea that his eyes popped out of his head and after retrieving them he immediately zoomed (boosted, really, IRL) to the center of SEGA JP and violently, repeatedly rang the huge iron bell located there for such a purpose to get everyone's attention, then he demanded they drop whatever they were doing and immediately work to implement the exact thing he first saw in a fanmade hack.

19. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    I'm curious why they didn't make an original final level and went with Planet Wisp.

I mean, another huge level like EggmanLand but with 2 different Sonics that must push buttons/work out puzzles to continue would be awesome. They had so much potential to do stuff like that, and they didn't. So basically you traverse through all of the stages, but all corrupt. You have to solve different puzzles to open up different paths for both Sonics.

Am I the only one who would have loved to have seen SEGA done that? Just some huge level where you have to use both Modern and Classic Sonic to go through a huge level which Robotnick/Eggman created?

@Hub World Argument: Didn't Unleashed originally have a level select kind of menu? I'm pretty sure that during an E3 reveal it had a level select menu instead of the little towns in the final.

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    What skill does Classic Sonic have that Modern doesn't for justifying an stage like that?

Being cute? :v: