don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    People are complaining about Classic Sonic, because it is impossible for these mutant knuckledraggers to enjoy the things that they like. I'd chalk it up as a combination of self-loathing and environmental factors, such as Agent Orange, fluoridated/leaded water, exposure to high levels of radiation, and in-vitro alcohol absorption.

Or maybe they're just dumbass sperglords who cannot find it in themselves to be consistent about their own desires, because, if that happened, what would they talk about on the web?

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'm seeing way too much "WHY IS THERE CLASSIC SONIC IN THIS NON-MANIA SONIC HE CAN'T POSSIBLY EXIST IN MORE THAN ONE GAME AT ONCE" in this thread.

And not enough "YAY, IT'S SONIC '06 GENERATIONS! IMAGINE THE LET'S PLAYS OF THIS FUCKER!". :3

3. As much as people criticize Shadow the Hedgehog's story, I'll say that even though the tone of the environment was darker, the characters still acted like their usual selves. I personally never had any problems with Shadow Hedgehog's story, and I don't get why it's hated or criticized so much for simply being dark. Also, the game has fewer bugs and glitches compared to the Adventure games and Sonic Heroes.

For Sonic 2017, I'm hoping that the Chao Garden makes a return. If it does, then I hope that its even better than the ones in SADX and SA2B.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Shit, if that turns out to be true, they're really pulling out all of the stops for this next batch of games.

That would be great to have the Chao Garden back, but I wouldn't trust Sonic Team to properly replicate the complexity and nuances of SA2B's, let alone improve upon it.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Dumb overblown story was the least of Shadow the Hedgehog's problems. I finally went through the whole thing, including the Last Story, just last week. It's fresh in my mind.

Also, it appears I'm the only person who thought Classic Sonic's stages were the better ones in Sonic Generations. Honestly (and without the prior post's snark), his appearance was literally the only thing in the trailer I liked the sight of.

Gonna remain open-minded until I play Shadow Generations for myself though.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Speaking for myself at least, the Modern gameplay showed Sonic Team polishing and improving a promising new gameplay style, rather than reinventing the wheel. Meanwhile, the Classic gameplay left a lot to be desired, giving us an inferior version of a decades-old gameplay style (though it's still a vast improvement over what Sonic 4 gave us).

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Well, yeah.

Without the trappings of expecting a 1:1 replica of the classic physics, I got me some enjoyable oldschool platforming. That's not to say Modern stages were bad (HINT: they were also amazing) but they played a more-familiar tune at the time, being as they were the culmination of things learned during the development of Unleashed and Colours.

8. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I like the Adventure games but not more than Colors and Generations. Do people remember the Adventure series received more hate than Generations when it came out? Maybe Sega does not want to go back to games that received such poor reviews. It's like people are forgetting the issues of those games because it was a part of their childhood. Adventure was fun but I don't want another one. It'll be nice if they can add other characters besides Sonic & Sonic to the Generations styled game play.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Generations was approaching levels of Adventure in terms of level layouts when it came to the Dreamcast and Modern areas anyway (look at how wide open portions of modern City Escape and modern Seaside Hill are). Literally the only thing that makes the Generations formula different than Adventure's at this point is how fast Sonic can go. And let's be honest, neither Adventure nor Adventure 2 comes close to Generations in terms of mechanical soundness; the only thing they do better is low-speed maneuverability which at this point I'm certain they will address in Resistance.

10. I like both the Adventure-style gameplay and Sonic Generations's gameplay, but I prefer the Adventure-style gameplay. In my opinion, I thought that Sonic (and Shadow in his own game) were easier to control. You had greater control over their movement in those games. In the 3D games beginning with Unleashed, Sonic had stiffer controls, and the difficulty seemed to test how quickly you can react to things. Also, despite the fact that they were 3D Sonic games, they had many 2D sections. The enemies in those games were also barely obstacles and were very easy to defeat compared to the enemies in Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog.

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    If done correctly, I think that they can compensate how overpowered the boost is with more hazards or harder enemies given the setting. Crisis City in Generations is one of the hardest stages to maneuver around and just boost through. The enemies proved to be slightly more annoying as well.

If the teaser is any indication there could be more stage hazards involved, but I feel it's probably just visual flair.

I wasn't really hoping for Classic Sonic to be in this game, but now I'm so glad he made an appearance. It was the perfect bait and switch.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Classic Sonic was awesome in Generations. The gameplay was brilliant, even though it wasn't 1:1 to the MegaDrive games, and the very principle of having him back after so many years was just too awesome. Putting the two iterations of Sonic next to each other for that special anniversary celebration felt like they were truly saying a heartfelt 'thank-you' to every fan out there.

The problem a lot of people are seeing is that treating Classic and Modern as different characters beyond Generations feels like some kind of strange and forced meta take on the series, one that somewhat diminishes the concept of Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic in the first place. Why are SEGA so bent on appealing to everyone rather than just going forward with what they think is right? I love seeing the series using different angles so that we can get different types of Sonic game that do different things, but I don't like the idea of forcing it all together like this. Story wise in particular it feels incredibly cheap. I'd rather this title was purely Modern Sonic (and failing that, purely Classic Sonic). The two of them together is the real issue. Sonic is just one character. Now that the meta-ness of Generations is out of the way, stop separating the two.

The teaser also said "but sometimes Heroes need help" or something, so seeing Sonic come to Sonic's rescue was lame. I was fully expecting one of the shitty friends the sorely underused Tails and Knuckles to show up.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It's tempting to think this. I absolutely want more classic Sonic representation, but only if it's done right. My gut reaction is that I absolutely don't want a Generations 2, where he's a vehicle for a regressive play style that's just taking time and resources away from what's generally considered to be the more interesting half of the game. I also don't want him being treated as an accessory to a More Important Sonic, or any of the flanderization of the character necessary to convince us that Modern Sonic is somehow cooler. That shit is depressing to me. Classic Sonic is not a cute and inquisitive child, and I don't think him being mute was ever an integral aspect of the character.

It's too early to really complain, but it's plain to see where this is going: Unless the two Sonics share the same core gameplay, this is just more of the same multiple character dilution we've been bitching about since Sonic Adventure 1, with a face we want to love. You can't satisfy both halves of the fanbase like this, and the last attempt wasn't compelling enough to try it twice.

14. @Blue Blood

I get what you mean, I don't really know what to make of this project really.

I would have much rather have seen an expansion of the Mania concept into an all new 3D Sonic.

15. rdc

rdc

The Resident "Log in every 2-3 years or so" Guy Oldbie
    I personally think everybody is reading way too much into a pre-rendered cutscene video that is so vague that almost any question can be asked of it.

Basically, I think all opinion has to be reserved until we get some more gameplay or plot info...

16. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I want to see Knuckles (my favorite character) and Tails in a 3d Sonic game as much as anyone else but we have to wait until Sega gets Modern Sonic's and Classic Sonic's gameplay almost perfect at least. The reason why the Adventure games died out so quickly was because they tried to throw in too many characters and game styles in all at once before even trying to perfect one style of gameplay. It's kind of Sega's fault for the setback now, because that time they spent experimenting with new styles of play in Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom could have been focused on another game similar but better than Generations.

I also don't mind they are trying to appeal to both Classic and Modern Fans. As seen in that facebook poll they had six years back, it's hard for Sega to just move past one or the other because both have a large fan base (especially classic sonic).

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    When they indicated Sonic "needing help" and "Joining the Resistance" I instantly thought - and still believe - more friends will be involved. I think we'll see modern and classic pairs of Tails and Knuckles get introduced too.

18. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    I'm don't hate the boost games, but out of all the 3D Sonic styles that we've had, it's probably my least favorite (When done correctly, I mean. Don't take this as me saying "06 was totally better, lol.) I just feel like it sacrifices everything for speed, and it makes the games feel rather shallow and short as a result.

Classic Sonic's presence is also feeling distinctly crutch-like. I'd have much preferred that they took elements and style from Classic and applied them to Modern instead of continuing to treat them like two different, irreconcilable things.

It just rubs me the wrong way that we're still in this "Sonic alone!" era of the franchise. They've got an engine that works, even if I don't personally care for it. Now build on it with more stuff and characters!

19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This. Colors brought classic Sonic's aesthetic and some design conventions (powerups, multiple paths) into the current era in a really satisfying way. Still a mediocre game, but I bought that, and I've been holding out for more of that ever since. Was probably the closest they've ever come to uniting the fanbase, too.

20. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

That's also true. Again, it's only a teaser and not an actual game play video. They never said or indicated other characters would not be playable.