don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    So, basically, the problem isn't the wider view, but the, not so smooth, transition of the camera. Even though I never had the slightest problem with the way the camera transitions in the game, I can understand your complaints. Still, Sonic would certainly benefit from a wider view, it just suits the logic behind the gameplay better.

I'm 100% with you on this. But increasing difficulty using anachronistic techniques like trail & error and heavy memorization belongs to the past. Techniques like that were made to take your coins in the arcades, imo, they shouldn't have been used in console games in the first place.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I can't recall a single instance in the game where you were required to run to the left that actually allowed you to attain the speed necessary for the camera pan to occur.* And honestly, the transition was always so smooth for me that it either enhanced the sensation of speed or it went unnoticed altogether. Whatever, though!

Wow, really? It's a matter of accessibility, not difficulty. If you can make a game more intuitive or comfortable to control, you sort of have a logical imperative to do so- tweak the level design to accommodate the change in mechanics if difficulty is that much of a concern.

*Come to think of it, I'm sure Stardust Speedway allowed for plenty of that. Still, like, whatever man.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    The trouble with Sonic CD's camera is that...

A) It's unnecessary. Never in classic Sonic is Sonic required to react to something moving on to the screen quickly, especially in Sonic CD which is slower paced than usual. Running into things you didn't see coming is something we have Dimps to thank for.

B) It doesn't function in the air. So, the screen can scroll, Sonic will launch into the air, and turn around completely, but the damn camera won't follow him. Talk about not seeing what's ahead of you!

C) For me at least, I'm trained to keep my eye on Sonic at all times. When the camera pans wildly as his speed changes, it starts to tire my eyes because the frame of reference keeps changing. The camera does a similar stupid dance in Sonic Rush, but even at low speeds, and it puts my teeth on edge and I can barely enjoy the game because of it.

Sonic should stay centred. If somebody desperately wants Sonic CD camera, it'd have to be optional.

(I know Sonic isn't centred vertically in the classic games, but there's a bit of lag. This is okay, and even a good thing, because the player tends to anticipate the movement, looking at what they want to jump toward before actually doing it. It seems a lot of thought went into Yuji's camera system, and a lot of consideration for the player's eye movement. SCD's system doesn't share this virtue.)

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I have to echo the explanations with what Nineko and Mercury said about the SCD camera, they are pretty much spot on with my thoughts towards it. Overall it ruins the experience for me. I wish I knew how to code ASM with a bit of understanding because one of the first things I would do is do a hack of SCD without that shit camera mode.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Metal Sonic race says hi.

Anyway, I like the Sonic CD camera, although it could be improved a lot (Mercury pointed out a couple of flaws). I don't get all the extreme hate it gets. I mean, it certainly wouldn't "ruin a game".

6. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I'm working on it. :ssh:

7. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    I have to disagree here, that depends on the way you play.

In simple runs the camera is ok, but if you're going for Time Attack runs, where every second counts, you need a wider view so you can see the enemy, the rock, or the branching path coming to react without losing your speed and momentum. Especially in Sonic CD where the level design is more complex, with more obstacles and platforming than any other game in the classic series.

If you can't see much further, then everything is based on trial & error and heavy memorization. When you want to blast through the levels a wider view is needed. I'm not saying it has to be exactly like Sonic CD, all I'm saying is that, a wider view, implemented better if you will, suits the game better.

That would be the best. :thumbsup:

In contrast, I'd like to see all three classic games with a wider camera option. :ohdear:

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Wow never knew so many people disliked the sonic CD camera,
    personally I think the camera adds more depth to the gameplay.
    (in fact I'll be using a very similar camera system for my Sonic CD Remix project)

edit: now that I've seen people showing dislike for CD camera,I may just have to make an option to use classic Genesis camera system as well)
    May not be a bad choice to do the same for Fan remix.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I've noticed the rotation of Sonic (how and when he rotates) is very similar to that of S2HD (flat on shallow slopes, 360 on ones that go steep).
    :v:

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    The camera panning ahead of the player isn't a horrible idea. When it comes to Sonic, it's quite possibly one of the best things to add to the game. The same idea was used again in the Advance games (2 and up) and Rush games.

The only real problem is the way CD executed the idea. The camera didn't move smoothly with the action and it only ended up being a distraction.

As Ritz already mentioned, It's accessibility, not difficulty. If your idea of hard is based on stone age methods, then you have terrible ideas on what difficulty should be in games.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, this is how I should have worded my first post to begin with, sorry if I sounded too extreme. I don't like the SCD camera because of the bad execution of the panning and whatnot, not so much because of the larger viewport per se. Having the wider window move from right to left can get confusing, but I'm not against it by default if you can do right. I still stand by my point that it makes games too easy (you can as well pull an atlas map if you like to do so), but it's just me. Yes, 99% of the times Sonic doesn't need to care about what happens behind him so it makes sense for him to look forward. But if he turns around, enjoy your sudden viewport movement :v:

12. Deef

Deef

Just raising my hand as one who is glad that Sonic CD's camera is getting denied. I realised I was getting annoyed by something well before I knew why, then finally noticed that it was the bleedin' camera shifting Sonic around, forcing me to track his position around the screen.

If CD's camera is an added option, fine.

But hey Merc, I thought you were all about the Sonic CD love. With this show of compromise, how about some uncontrollable rolling jumps and insta-shields?

Please?

:colbert:

(@Camelot, just got your message, doh can't reply again)

13. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    The thing about me is, I love the way SCD looks and sounds, but I vastly prefer the way S3&K plays. I've been looking at a bunch of SCD's code lately, and it really shows the lack of Naka - it's all messy and suboptimal and hacky, which comes out in the finished product. Only a very few things (like the rolling jump) did I ever think were improvements.

I feel I should point out, though, that features like the insta-shield in SFR will no longer be under my control. Three things: My computer can't run Unity 3; I grew extremely weary with Unity; and I feel a great need to work on my own projects that I'd been letting languish.

IOW, I'm not SFR's programmer anymore. =( Pelikan may have to go with the Egg Engine, but nothing's settled yet.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    What sort of projects you have lingering?

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Speaking the Egg Engine? is that like for developers only?

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I won't go into detail since SFR isn't my project, but since I'm friends with Damizean and to quell people's fears: Dami started converting SFR to the Egg Engine (which also uses Unity) a while ago. So as far as I know all is ok, they're busy guys (who isn't?) but it's being worked on still.

17. Deef

Deef

Eep.
    Slightly quelled.
    I await the next demo.

Shame to hear you tired of Unity, Merc. Sounded like a real bugbear. Great work on your part in SFR all the same.

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah don't worry guys
    Egg looks very solid.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    If your PC could handle Unity 3 fine, would those other two reasons be enough for you to want to leave the project? You did really fantastic work in coding this game and it's disappointing to hear you're no longer part of the project.

20. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I'm making an open Sonic engine/editable game called "AeStHete" that anyone will be able to use to make a Sonic game, plus I've got my own original Sonic and Phantasy Star re-imaginings in the works (but those are a ways off).

I'm also got a hack or two kicking around, plus a disassembly I'm working on, and I'm going to be helping judge this year's hacking contest.

Thanks. I'm disappointed, too, but I'm afraid those two reasons alone would probably do it.