don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. CriticalMass

CriticalMass

It's not anyone's monitor. The entire thing has a blue tint, seemingly by intent of Pelikan since the old version was different.

For example, the white point of act 1 is cyan (approximating to 55ddff). The speculars BlobVanDam mentioned ("specular city") come from both back-left (as seen in the mountains) as a cyan specular, and from front-right (can be judged by the specular on the ground leaves ) - as cyan too. The environment color is blue and the two sources of the specular are cyan. The specular is still cyan even in the other two acts.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wasn't that blue tint added to the demo due to people saying the background stuck out too much?

If so, please revert and then make a "peoples feedback" option.

3. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    This is true, but in the end he put a blue hue over everything, including the foreground which didn't need it. In fact, I think he even posted pictures of just "blueing" out the background, and that looks great. The current version, though, everything is too dark AND blue.

I think CriticalMass' mock-up is a step in the right direction, though.

4. MultiTrack

MultiTrack

Why did people complain about the original?

5. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Everything was so awesome that some people (the guys who commented) said they couldn't distinguish the foreground from the background.

6. DrunkDoomguy

DrunkDoomguy

UK
    Sonic +
    In saying that, the CM version is certainly easier to look at than the original.

7. dsrb

dsrb

I think everyone ought to clarify which “original” they were referring to—does this mean pre-demo screenshots or (blue) ones from the demo?

8. Gen

Gen

This is halloween! This is halloween! Member
    The Mobius Engine
    [​IMG]
    You fuckers aren't downloading it hard enough.

9. It's really easy.
    The blue is not the only color available in the world.
    Each thing with its normal color, apart from ilumination, would look 100x better

10. MasterMind

MasterMind

Reading up on SADX hacking.
    This game isn't great, but its good. I honestly think its too populated with colorful nonsense.

11. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    It's brilliant. It's clearly a treat for fans of the elaborate artwork in Sonic CD, such as myself.

12. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    This is beautiful. Whichever version is the one on the SonicFanRemix page that I'm downloading a demo of and have watched a video of looks fucking amazing.

I remember seeing some screens when this was purely a 3D concept...I had no idea it was going anywhere! This is amazing. I'm in love with the scenery. I have yet to play it, but it looks like it plays extremely well. I'm loving that it's not attempting to be some sort of "true to the original yet HD and 3D" version. It does its own thing, and I'm totally fine with that.

Keep it goin'!!!

13. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    DOUBLE POST COMBO!

I played it, and fucking love it. The graphics are gorgeous, it plays extremely well and totally "feels" like classic Sonic, which I love because classic Sonic's physics are...well, what I love! lol I love that this is "Sonic", but with unique touches to the scenery/graphics. The rain, lights, animations are all beautiful. This is great, I really hope this goes further than just a demo. Keep up the great work!!

14. MrPhysics

MrPhysics

Non "oldbie" oldbie Member
    Ogden
    Fractal Art
    Just finished playing through this about 6 or 7 times and my enjoyment only increased each time I played through it. I wish I could take the money I spent on sonic 4 and give it to you guys instead.

The level/character art, lighting, effects and use of them are all IMHO gorgeous and well executed.

This is by far the most I have enjoyed a fan game since I played Taxman's early demos.

I don't care what anyone else says, for the love of god please just keep doing what you are already doing.

Thank you.

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Everyone complaining about the colours are idiots.
    Retro, can't you just let something good come from the minds of creators, rather than complain about each pixel/colour/tint.

The creators of this are doing an amazing job, and should continue as they see fit, not how all of you guys want their game to be.

16. dsrb

dsrb

That's a bit far. Again, pelikan13 doesn't have to listen—obviously he should ultimately do what he wants with his project—but others should be able to post their opinions (which he can choose to take on board or not) and discuss them, without being insulted because you don't agree.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Pelikan has pretty much outright said that he appreciates the feedback. That in mind, anybody who continues to tell folks not to give said feedback is an idiot.

In other words, lrn2read.

18. Its not a complain, its a tip.

That blue filter everywhere being Sonic himself blue doesnt make any good to the game.
    That the first zone needs more contrast is a fact, doesnt matter how gorgeous the graphics are.

I will complain if the programmers of the game say they wont change anything cuz they're the programmers.
    Actually, this is acting like SEGA

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Saying that as if Sonic is indistinguishable from everything else.

When I was playing the game, I was able to distinguish Sonic from the background and landscapes and such with not problem - tends to happen when something is in the center of a moving screen, it tends to stick out.

I was skeptical too at first when I saw screenshots with that odd blue tint, but it's really no big deal. Everything looks vibrant and poppy - Sonic's initial graphical style was a highly colorful one, and honestly this game carries that aspect into modern times.

Besides, the blue tint is only really for the levels that take place in the day. The other levels don't seem to have a tint.

Don't get the tone of this post wrong - I'm not at all saying people shouldn't offer in suggestions. I'm just saying that Sonic is by no means indistinguishable with the background in motion or otherwise.

Sort of related, but I figured the blue tint was simulating a sunny day where everything is really bright and sort of blue.

20. Mahdi

Mahdi

I really really don't see this blue filter some of you lot are on about. Besides the sky, water and some of the background, everything is quite colorful and contrasts well in the first act. A bit dark on the shadows, yes, but the mock-up by criticamass did not reduce any blues and only lightened the picture a lot. Overall, the first act is very vibrant and I hope it stays that way after whatever tweaks my come.