don't click here

Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Selbi, Jun 10, 2011.

1. I think I found the easter egg in Scar Light, after horribly breaking the end cutscene trying to find it.

Fanfic writers will pair ANYTHING together.

2. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'd like to say that I didn't write this story. Tongara did a few years ago (as mentioned in the credits). The reason why I included it was because, believe it or not, without that story, Sonic ERaZor wouldn't exist; at least not in the way you see it today.

Also, on a different note, for those who haven't played yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRJ0r7syus0

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Except I noticed that after a while, the camera movement doesn't reverse. That's what I was talking about.

And as for SNP, I didn't even see an S Monitor anywhere O_o Was I supposed to use one? Or did the A button control the platform?

EDIT: Son of a bitch, I forgot about the gravity thing

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Sonic ERaZor (Fourth Public Release) - Revision 01

Changelog:

• Being able to use hard part skippers in special stages is now mentioned in the tutorial.
    • Added small 'A's as reminders for the second section in Scar Night Place.
    • Fixed pause function not working in special stages.
    • Fixed an exploit that made finding the Scar Night Place easter egg easier (see here).
    • Fixed the Monitor in the intro cutscene awarding points.
    • Fixed speed up music not resetting upon level restart.
    • Fixed the GHZ waterfall sound overwriting the explosion sounds.
    • Fixed a strange bug in Ruined Place, loading the sign post art at the beginning of the level.

Download

Thanks to everyone who reported bugs or issues! Don't be afraid to post whatever you may find odd, the more stable I can make this game, the better for everyone.

5. BystanderLC

BystanderLC

What happens when you run out of lives? I remember running out of lives in the first zone, but it doesn't really matter when you're at level one.

I certainly loved the bosses in this game.

One thing that bugged me in the tutorial level is using that pellet jump with crazy Sonic, where you had to air jump under a wall to get to the other side. Come to think of it, why does Sonic shoot pellets?

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Actually, I was thinking about completely removing the live system and replacing it by something else. Sadly, I couldn't think of anything worthy. The reason of this is quite simple: The only penalty of getting a game over is having your checkpoints within a level being cleared. That's it. You have unlimited continues and any progress made overall in the game will be kept. Of course, I could've made the system completely deleting your safe game when you get a game over, but I felt like that was way too harsh, considering I want people to enjoy the game all the way from start to finish.

Oh, you wonder why Sonic is able to shoot bullets when being inhuman mode, but not how he is invincible from being crushed to death or falling into bottomless pits? :P

7. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Pressing START + A in the special stages to quit them makes the Special Place's end message come up when it's not supposed to, and if you did this in Special Place the game thinks you've cleared it and unlocks the door to Ruined Place.

By the way, your music selections were boss, especially that remixed final boss music from Sonic 3.

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    It doesn't really matter since using the hard part skipper (pressing A, B, and C at any point in the level) also unlocks the level and is just a simple press away. And you can replay the level at any point, so it's not like you can accidentally skip this level.

I will note it down for a possible Revision 02 though. Thanks for the heads up!

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Well then, I said I would conduct you a decent post around here on your final proper release, and I guess a promise is a promise, despite having done some minor things, I didn't see a lot (or rather tried not to), and I believe I succeeded due to how much new content I wasn't aware of.

Where to start? I noticed your new text cards for the tutorial, and the fact that they are able to appear in level without the aid of a new screen, very clever and flexible stuff sir, I will admit though, I didn't read the dialog much as I'm not really a reader, I mostly took in only the mi-nute details I needed, though that has not blinded me from your efforts. The tutorial I thought was pretty good, there were a few gimmicks in Sonic that I never knew of before, like the gravity change ability, mind you, all of these moves really are surreal, it's like nothing you would find in a normal Sonic game, makes the hack stand out extraordinarily, most of the moves you have put in seem to function rather well, and work with the levels appropriately, no complaints here.

Having played the first boss properly this time around, by finding a proper way to beat it without losing rings, one of my original complaints was the difficulty of that boss being too high, but having worked up a method of beating it, it's not as hard as initially thought. Green Hill Zone has never been more fun to play now that it has explosions everywhere and more difficult enemies, it was actually more enjoyable, one question, what on earth does that P monitor do? When I collected it, a few seconds later, all of the rings above me suddenly dropped down,I I'm assuming that's its purpose. The GHP spike ball boss wasn't too easy or too difficult, just right, and I must say a real twist on the original GHZ boss, one thing I do applaud you on is that is was nicely produced, I.e. clean, glitch less and put together in a way that feels natural I guess, minor stuff like the spike balls remaining on the floor (even though inanimative) play a great role in making the boss worth playing.

I LOVE your special stages, they are just so, oh so different to everyone else's, and (once again) seem to be done right with a sense of professionalism, very well put together, and quite clever, no complaints here, and Ruined Place was a lot more bearable this time around, last time it was immensely difficult, having the skip machine near the end there was a god blessing, though I did attempt it several times for the sake of trying (unfortunately I don't have all the time in the world, I have my own entry to deal with, otherwise I would have given it more of a shot). I didn't see much change in Labyrinth place, the general gimmick idea I had already commented on, so I'll leave this level be.

Did I mention that I love your special stages? Because I really do, they're so fun to play, the unlimited chances makes it less frustrating without making it less challenging, I strongly recommend you to make a brand new dedicated hack for these stages, the ideas and gimmicks inside them are brilliant, it's a true game of its own.

Scar Night Place now, I expected the machine, because I designed the machine parts, but I wasn't expecting it to be in a cut-scene, it's done quite professionally, nicely executed! As for the level, well, it's pretty much just a blue Star Light Zone, though I did notice the second moving pillar, nice touch. That's it, well, until I got to the boss, a bit difficult to avoid every time, but I managed, I was very surprised to see yet another brilliant gimmick directly afterwards. Very fun to play, difficult, and required a lot of patience, but nevertheless fun, it kinda reminds me of rayman, it has the “proper” game factor to it, where it plays like any real game would. For Finalor Place, when I saw the boss, I shat bricks, it looked like a real mean piece of machinery, of course, to be truefully honest, it was perhaps too easy, I think the fact that the orbs didn't follow you made it easy enough to get through without dying once. I had seen the ending before, so I wasn't caught off guard, I'll leave that alone.

A few bugs to note:

• When waiting for the demo, the game goes to the tutorial screen, but continues normally (not sure if that was intentional).
    • In the tutorial, the screen went blank white when I landed on the spikes and reset it (obviously loading a dialog box).
    • Sometimes when pausing, Sonic's art doesn't seem to be updated correctly (there are tiles in random places of where Sonic is).

There's nothing more I can say, it's completely bizarre and nowhere near what a Sonic game would throw at you, but that's the best thing about it, it's such a twist it's unbelievable, but most importantly, those special gimmicks mid-game made it exciting and fun to play, I believe this is where a lot of other Sonic hacks go wrong, they often make a product that follows suit, but never delivers the actual fun factor required for people to come back and actually play it again and again.

Congratulations on your release.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    That was one of a number of contributions I made to this hack, although the import I made generally got altered to fit the style used in the hack, I should show you a track I made recently for ERaZor and you would notice that it's a lot different from what Selbi changed in the final product.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Small Bug: When using the Sonic 3 Art, the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen occasionally get corrupted with some of Sonic's tiles.

Selbi, this hack was a ball crushingly difficult awesome time! Loved it all the way through (though the Easter Egg was kind of random...lol). Once again, the cool style and originality of this hack shines through.

12. BystanderLC

BystanderLC

Well, the game is truly enjoyable and memorable. It also resets the score- found because I just beat it for the second time (skipping the Chaos Emerald parts).

There's two things I want to note. I don't believe I have the latest version but the green hill zone's giant waterfall with the bees? If I were to not wait any time before jumping on the first yellow spring, the bee would bomb me as soon as I land on that first platform. I don't know how to survive there without double jumping the whole thing. I seem to die and warp inconsistently there.

In the ruins, there's a switch right before a bloody... chandlier-I know I'm spelling that wrong- thing you stand on. Is there a way to get down there without getting hit by that spiky falling object.

There seems to be no use for the P power tv right before the last battle.

I'm not good at finding Easter Eggs apparently. I've not found any.

13. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Who said double jumping was not allowed there? In fact, I use it all the time when I am at that section.

Have you ever wondered why there is a shield monitor right before and after that chalendier? Yeah.

Destroy the monitor and wait a few seconds. Don't just rush into the boss room right after destroying it. You will see what I mean.

I can link you to a walkthrough of some guy on YouTube, showing where to find those easter eggs.

14. It's time for me to give an opinion for this hack!

I got to say that it's insanely hard, especially the second Special Stage, and Scar Light. Moreover, everything was well put together, and it was worth playing, a lot. I had a lot of fun playing it! Furthermore, I loved the new effects you added there, the moving ring and such, the movement was perfect and smooth, and well programmed. As for the graphics, well, while there's not too much about this, the little changes as well as the brand new options menu were well done. The storyline was amusing, too, and the tutorial was a great add-on, and the messages were impressive!

Overall, it's a good hack! I'm looking forward for more updates, if this is still being continued.

EDIT: mispelled a word

15. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    If anybody has a Wii console that has the Homebrew Channel installed onto it, I have managed to port Sonic ERaZor onto the Wii Virtual Console with no problems whatsoever. I even included a custom Channel Icon and Banner screen to boot!
    Download dat shit!

16. dsrb

dsrb

Rather than being a “port”, I presume all it does is to run the ROM in Genesis Plus GX, with the only difference being that the user does not have to click through the Homebrew Channel and GPGX's loading menu.

17. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Whatever dsrb, I greatly appreciate it anyway! :)

18. Well, how convenient that I happened to have hacked my family's Wii just yesterday! What are the odds?!

19. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Alright so, almost three weeks have passed since the fourth release now, and I'm starting to wonder:

What should I do next?

I'm fighting with myself really, because I don't know if working on a fifth release is really worth it, or if I should try something else. When I released the third version, I actually wanted to stop working on updates, but after I received a lot of requests to continue, I decided to work on a fourth version.

The question is, are people still interested in updates? As of right now, I consider my game as complete, because every zone of the original game is being used (except for Spring Yard Zone, which only serves as an Overworld). I didn't have that problem when I worked on the fourth version, because it was obvious that I would be creating a Star Light Zone level. But now I simply don't have any ideas anymore, in regards of what could possibly be added, so I would need suggestions on that, if I were to continue it.

In general, I want to lay the future of this project in your hands, by deciding whether it's worth continuing or not. The more opinions I get, regardless of content (it may be a simple one liner with Yes or No), the more likely am I going to continue it or stop working on it.

Please refrain from posting "Do what you want" posts, because if I were to follow that logic, I wouldn't have written this post.

20. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    To be honest, the only thing I can really say to do to keep going with it would be to add extra acts as a sort of side-act like Unleashed did with every non-Act 1 except for Windmill Isle Day and maybe Jungle Joyride Night. If that's too much work, then don't continue.