don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome that you've resumed work on the game Hez. I think people coming in here and asking about the status of the game was probably the best thing that could have happened because it reignited your interest in the project. Hopefully the mass of interest and replies reminded you that everyone still definitely wants the game and is really looking forward to it. It's probably connected to Classic 1 being so good and so many people playing it back when it was released. Everyone can see that Classic 2 is looking just as promising and potentially even better and hence everyone's still super interested in the game.

Any chance of an overall progress update? I remember you saying you were almost at beta testing stage. Is that still correct?

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'd like to get to a beta testing stage -- but this online multi-player is kind of a last minute deal. I also don't have a structure for beta testing yet, and I'd need a lot of people to test. A lot more than before.

Basically, I feel like beta testers for Sonic Classic 1 got bored. Playing the game over...and over....and over. So, with this game being incredibly larger. I want to have one person dedicated to two or three levels only. They will only get to test those levels, and have access to no other levels. This will give them a chance to contribute, but also keep the game a surprise for them on final release. I also feel I'll get better testing this way. The testers for SC1 were great, don't get me wrong, but I feel the repetitive boredom got the best of them.

3. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Sounds like an intelligent and well calculated plan. I believe you're correct. You would get far superior beta testing results with that system. Limiting each beta tester to two or three levels would give them greater focus. It's also a positive idea to generate a system that still allows each beta tester to eventually enjoy the final game as a standard player would. So great ideas on both fronts. When the time comes if you do need a mass of beta testers it might worth dedicating a new thread to the endeavor in terms of recruiting your testers. Obviously you could still guard the feedback by limiting that to PMs.

I'm still extremely happy you decided to resume work on the game. I'm sure everyone on Retro is.

4. Flare

Flare

Wow online multiplayer would a great boom to the series in general. Too many co-op platformer games these days in my opinion.

Do you have local multiplayer, and if so how many players are likely to be supported?

And glad to see some move on the project it is shaping up really nice.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd certainly be willing to test out this game at some point, provided I can make time to do so, that is.

6. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    So, uh... Any more updates?

7. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Seconded. Any more updates Hez?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Barking up the wrong tree there folks. Hez isn't one to post updates all willy nilly. He'll post when he wants. Patience.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

I'm not one for giving everything away :v:

10. winterhell

winterhell

dat bonus stage inside Knuckles' head

11. Machenstein

Machenstein

Could the bonus stage really be inside Knuckles' head? That's some Psychonauts shit right there.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Looking really good! Amazing that you've resumed work and are actively making progress Hez. Release this year?

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I could really release it if I wasn't so stubborn on getting S1 and S2 in the game with extras. I also am too stubborn not to release it without online play, as I really think it will add a lot of replay ability and fun.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thanks for responding Hez. I think ultimately you hold the creative license to make the game you want to make. From the sounds of it the plan for Classic 2 was to create a true sequel in every sense of the word; as in a bigger and better version of what came before and that seems to be what you're striving towards. I think you really do need to be commended for your work ethic and commitment here. I remember back when I used to make fangames and even a single level could take weeks of effort. I can't imagine therefore just how many hours you've poured into Classic 2 already and how many hours are left to go. The only advice I'd have to give you is please don't lose sight of what everyone is truly excited about which is the new set of "Classic" levels to play that so accurately mirror the colour and mechanics of the Classics.

I'm almost certain that was what got everyone so excited about before and the original content is therefore what everyone is so excited about now. Outside of that good luck with all of your future work on the game. If it takes a little longer to come out so you can achieve your vision then so be it. Like everyone else I'm just so glad you've resumed work on the game. One last thing. Just like before I can promise to write an extensive review on the game when it comes out. I enjoyed the hell out of Classic 1 so that's kind of my way of giving you something in return for all of the enjoyment your games bring. So you can definitely count on some extensive feedback from me. And finally please also do keep posting updates in this thread. I think everyone really likes seeing your progress updates.

15. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

The Key spamming Pac-Man main Member
    OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    This is great to hear! I've been following this project for a while as a lurker and it's brilliant the amount of effort you put into things, Also, nice to see that your sticking to your guns in regards to release and extra content! :D

God help you on the online front, though; I'm not even sure MMF2 would be capable of that. Out of curiosity, will each player have their own dedicated camera or will Tails be forced to keep up with Sonic?

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Each player will have a dedicated camera. As of now I think there will be 4-Player coop player. I am thinking about going the route of Mickey Mouse world of illusion. While playing in coop, there will be special coop acts here and there.

Basically what is taking the longest is actually getting everything to work with online play. Shields, interacting with things, etc. a LOT of work. Worth it though, in my opinion as we really don't have any online Sonic games.

EDIT: I also would like to point out at this time, I am not opposed to anyone that would want to help with some things. I've had this be a one man project for far too long and I am now open to a bit of help. Maybe a two or three man team.

17. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    I'd love to help you out but I'm not sure whether you'd actually need me. :P
    I don't know, if you like, we could talk this over on Skype; my id is alex.bradleydk4.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

The game looks awesome. I'd sure love to play a demo of it at SAGE. *nudge nudge wink*

19. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    Sorry about that; I wanted to stream work on Drill Base Act 2 but my parents dragged me away for the entire SAGE week. :( I'll be sure to show progress soon.

20. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sweet. It's nice to know work is still being done on the game and it was going to appear at SAGE in some form.