don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Sweet. You rock.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I love you taxman. And now I have to figure out how I got the loop point so off on R1B. I thought I'd lined up those samples correctly!

But rest assured, I will uses this information for the power of good.

3. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but how does one access the secret special stage?

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Go to the sound test and put 7 in DA and 7 in PCM, then press A.

5. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thank you.

This basically confirms that the looping information was part of the Bytecode then. A few bytes after the filename, if you see 0x02 0x81 then the following 32-bit little endian value is the loop start point. (Just mentioning this in case someone wants to know where it was stored.)

6. One other weird thing.
    When I beat the secret Special Stage, it played the credits. And then it took me to stage select. And then it took me to the stage I picked as Tails. Just seems like a weird sequence of events to happen for beating the special stage (I unlocked Tails, but never actually started a save file with him)

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Finally got the last few points I needed thanks to Bing. All I can say is that this port is amazing. I love it, and it is so nice to play this game in 16:9 on a console, as opposed to Kega Fusion. Speaking of which, I nearly mastered the special stages in Fusion, with how smooth they are now it completely put me back at the beginning skill-wise. Special Stage 5 is now my mortal nemesis. Oh, and the Nostalgia Filter is perfect in my opinion.

Looks like this is my new go-to Sonic game. Props to Taxman.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Doesn't the "nostalgia" video mode just disable any filters?

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    That's why it's perfect. =P

10. Covarr

Covarr

It's hardly nostalgic though, unless you're playing on a 480i CRT. :P

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Pfft, if I wanted nostalgia, I'd play it on Gems, a fairly rugged version with PC-style SFX and 50htz :P

Seriously though, although I've posted it before, I'll post it again. The iOS version of Sonic CD is amazing, and there's so many little touches which really kept me playing, I'm amazed at how smooth it runs on my 2nd Gen iTouch too.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on how much more floaty and slower the special stages are though. Those were a nightmare to do first time round.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You mean, slower than the incorrect ultra-fast speed in Gems Collection?

13. Covarr

Covarr

And here's why I wanted the songs/loop points. Behind that link are .brstm versions of every song in the game, for anybody who is interested in Super Smash Bros. Brawl hacking. I have only used the updated songs/loops from the new 2011 release of the game, except for a few non-looping songs which I have added custom loops to (don't worry, the originals are there also).

I suppose I should get around to beating this game now. Metallic Madness 3 has been kicking my ass (I blame playing it on iOS).

14. dsrb

dsrb

Neat. Did anyone make LOgg versions of these already?

15. Covarr

Covarr

Not that I know of, but I can do it right now. It should be much faster, since there's no conversion involved, just adding loop point metadata.

16. dsrb

dsrb

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that'd be great. :)

17. Covarr

Covarr

Here ya go!

Under twenty minutes. A far cry from the three and a half hours the brstms took me. Oh the joys of doing it all through simple metadata.

edit: NOPE. I FUCKED UP PALMTREE PANIC GOOD FUTURE JP. It's been fixed.

18. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    What program can play .logg files? All I have is Windows Media, and I know that doesn't play logg files.

19. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Same question as ? regarding Linux players.

20. Covarr

Covarr

You need vgmstream. It is a plugin for Winamp and foobar2000 on Windows, and Audacious on Linux (you probably need to build it yourself for anything but Winamp). vgmstream can also play the brstm files and most other streaming game audio formats, but since they came from a lossy source anyway you might as well just download the loggs (renamed ogg files with additional metadata). The Winamp builds also work in FF7Music, on the off chance you wanna use these things in the PC version of Final Fantasy VII.