don't click here

Sonic CD, just a bit overhyped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tiberious, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    So, 13 years after it's out, and I finally get a chance to play this game long hailed as best 2D Sonic game ever.

I've run through it, and even gone back to look at some of the smaller stuff, and here's my opinion:

It's not quite worthy of all the praise heaped upon it.

Let's really look at it outside its status as a 'classic' Sonic game, shall we?

- Time travel's a gimmick, when it comes right down to it, and in order to do so, you're generally forced to find a place where they placed two horizontal springs so your speed remains constant. Under normal gameplay circumstances, you're only really concerned with going to the Past as quickly as possible, so you can search for the badnik generator and waste it (the M.Sonic hologram, too, if you happen to come across it).

- With one MAJOR exception, the stage variations aren't really much to write home about.

- With, again, all but one exception, each Zone is just a rehashed version of a Sonic 1 Zone.
    Palmtree Panic = Green Hill
    Collision Chaos = Spring Yard
    Tidal Tempest = Labyrinth (even has the same kind of static background, and the Past's BG gives off a definate HPZ vibe)
    Stardust Speedway = Strange hybrid of Chemical Plant and Star Light.
    Metallic Madness = Scrap Brain

- Wacky Workbench and Quartz Quadrant are reall the only two stand-out Zones this game has to offer. The former won't hardly let you walk for the most part, and so its differences aren't the greatest. QQZ, on the other hand, is quite nice (more later).

I'll say this now, so it can sink in. The US soundtrack is good.

It fits with the stage's theme (with one minor exception, where I think a mistake was made), and isn't too upbeat (this is, IMO, the biggest flaw I see with the JP/EU music).

Now, there IS good to be found in the game, and what would an unbiased review be without listing those points as well?

- The little touches. Enemies that show deterioration and suffer performance degradation as they age (taking extra programming, obviously), even some pre-damaged foes in the Present.

- The ability to earn the good ending even if you don't complete all the special stages. This is good, as after the first, oh, about two, they get downright insane in difficulty. This also rewards exploration, thought it generally means hitting the Past ASAP.

- Quartz Quadrant Zone. If you actually take the time to look at the area, it just blows you away. The fact they took the time to have two DIFFERENT backgrounds and BG deformations is quite nice. And that Bad Future... first thing you see in Act 1 is Eggman's mug. Once you get outside, you see how bad it really is; there's nothing but Eggman factories as far as the eye can see, with the sky literally on fire. Shows you just how hight he stakes are. And the music just FITS.

Overall, though, I still think the height of sonic's 16-bit age is Sonic 3 (the full game, AKA S3&K).

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    To be honest, almost every 2D Sonic game contains similar variations on the themes in Sonic 1.

3. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    If you're judging a game you haven't played before 13 years past it's date, I think your expectations are going to be a bit too high. Of course alot of it's gameplay is 'gimmicky'; it's a platformer. As for looking like Sonic 1, isn't it a well known fact that Sonic CD is the 'true' sequel to Sonic 1, using most of its ideas and gameplay? (It's why looking at Sonic CD is a good way to see alot of they had ideas for with Sonic 1.)

I don't mind if you don't like the game, everyone has an opinion. I just think some of your arguments there aren't exactly justified. =P

4. Tiberious

Tiberious

guess_who: Oh you're quite right, but usually the reiterations aren't as transparent as they are here.

And TTZ-LZ is the worst offender, really.

Ryoga: I didn't say it wasn't a good game, nor that I didn't like it. It just seems the general consensus here is that it's the 'best Sonic game of all time'. I just don't feel that to be the case.

It also appears to be the general opinion that the US soundtrack is pure and utter trash. It isn't that, either. And the soundtrack from the other regions just isn't godly, no matter what you may think. The fairest thing is to say that for some Zones, the JP/EU is better, and for others, the US is more fitting.

5. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    This game is so much fun.

6. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I just don't like it how people say that nothing can ever in a million years be compared to Sonic CD, and whoever doesn't like it is a gaywad fuckwit. Bullshit.

But, I can't have an opinion, as I've never played it. =P

7. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I too didn't like it that much.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    BAGEL OPPINION ON MUSIC:

The US soundtrack is great, and fits quite well. The Japanese sound track is only slightly better, but some songs are just eww, like Boss music and level complete.

Sonic 1 < Sonic 2 = Sonic CD < Sonic 3 < Sonic 3 & Knuckles

9. Robjoe

Robjoe

I personally love the game, it's my second favorite (next to S3K). The levels may resemble S1 a lot, but most are still pretty fresh and new. PPZ and TTZ are the only two blatant ones, however. They are still really cool though, as I like the way they're beefed-up versions. Besides, the game is more heavily based off S1 than S2 was anyway. One of the things I like the most about it though are the level designs (minus WWZ1. Terribly frustrating. D=). They flow so well and are really fun. I always keep going back to the game because they are sheerly enjoyable, even after you memorize them inside-and-out. I will aggree that it gets a little monotonous constantly traveling to the past to find the UFO and Metal Sonic projecter, though. I wish they would've put them in present in one act, and past in another, to spice things up a bit. And don't whine about the special stages, they're good challenges and still aren't stupid as fuck *coughcoughsonic1cough*. =P The bosses are very innovative, too. SSZ's is my favorite, and for the record, the hardest boss I've ever faced in a video game.

As for the soundtracks, I actually aggree with you there. I prefer the US one, as it fits the levels better, and has some of the better songs. The JPN one is cool too, but most songs don't fit, and some are downright AWFUL. I swear, Stardust Speedway and the boss have GOT to be jokes or something. They totally ruin the levels they're on.

So yea, ignore me if ya want, but I felt like posting this anyway. =P

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Excuse me, Palmtree Panic is different enough to be unique, or at least as unique as any other Sonic first-level-that-is-a-tropical-island.

11. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    In order to see how good a game is, you really ought to go back to it's originating time period, and review it from that point in time.

I really love the Japanese version better than the American version. It sounds more like Sonic to me.

12. Tiberious

Tiberious

The bosses were quite enjoyable, and not the same old 'hit him 8 times' bit that'd been done to death. Hell, the one didn't even need to be HIT to be defeated. You just ran him to death...

Besides, I thought I said I LIKED being able to get the good ending without the special stages.

The point I'm trying to address here is that all you ever hear outta this board is "zOMG! Sonic CD, Sonic CD, Sonic CD!" as if it's the be-all and end-all of the series.

It's not. Live with it.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles, only a year later (at the most) one-upped everything Sonic CD tried with the exception of the bosses.

13. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Sonic CD rocked for me. It introduced 2 very cool characters: Amy and Metal Sonic. I really liked that epic race between Sonic and his metal rival. So cool. And graphics is much better than cartridge games, not even talking about music. It's awesome. Sonic CD may be considered as the MOST beatiful classic Sonic game (along with Chaotix, of course).

14. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I made a topic like this, not so long ago, asking people to explain to me what exactly it was that made Sonic CD so great.

I was glad and suprised to find that not everyone worshipped Sonic CD and did not think it was the be-all-end-all of Sonic games.

IMO it was good, but Sonic 2 was better. And this is from someone who grew up with it.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Sonic 2 failed in comparison in graphics, music, and gameplay.

The Sonic CD camera in particular was excellent. Much better to focus on what is ahead without wasting screen real estate viewing what you have already passed.

16. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I think if Sonic 2's music was CD quality it would've beaten the dogshit out of Sonic CD's...

No matter which version you choose, the music is still shitty at times, and, while beating the shit out of the music in the EUR/JAP version in generic quality, the music for the US version doesn't fit the game.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I suspect it all depends on which one you heard first while playing.
    Hmm.. I wonder if it can be ported to the Megadrive Sonics.

18. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I personally thought Sonic CD was pretty good. I don't much care for the special stage, and maybe the badnik system should've been a bit closer to that of the other Sonic games(pop it, small animal comes out, break the metal container at the end, small animals come out). But the concept behind it was great and it would've been neat to see that concept implemented in more Sonic games. I think had Sonic 3&Knuckles had time travel, it could've put a whole new dimension on that game and made it better than it already is.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It has... and more than once. That's all I'll tell you. ;P

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    *cough*stealth*cough*

Well, likely anyways. If he can "almost" port Sonic 1/2 to CD then he can do this. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.