don't click here

Sonic Blitz

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    ....Well for the vomit camera, have you ever played Sonic Ashura's Dark Reign mod for the URT2004? It was the best when it comes to loops, mainly because it was in the path of where you're going.

But what you have there is nice Damizean, for a 2.5D engine.

2. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    Yeah, I think I'm going to focus more on developing a 2.5D engine than a full blown 3D one. So yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to implement this on the other one.

3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Getting a "Unable to set graphics mode" error message. What do I do? Oh what do I do?

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    That 2.5D engine is fucking awesome.

Mind if I use it in a project?

5. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Neat looking stuff.
    And in Blitz, too, yeay!

How are you going to be attempting the level creation?
    Elements to build up a level, or one great big model?

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Not to be mean, but is it me or are 2.5D engines the latest fad? I'm seeing an increasing number of those lately.

7. RevFirst

RevFirst

Taken from the guy who did the Unleashed one.
    "If people get an "Unable to set graphics mode" error, simply go into the Config.XML in the main directory and open it with a text editor, like notepad, and change the resolution values to that of your computer's. Then, you'll be set to rock and roll!!"

Tried it and worked.

8. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    That 2.5D engine was fucking awesome. How long did it take you to make that?

9. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

It's not a recent fad.
    2.5D's been around since (probably) Pandemonium on the Playstation. (Wiki suggests October 96)
    Pretty much everyone suggested that that's how Sonic could work in 3D.
    On and on and on they droned..
    It took more than a decade, but Sega eventually got the hint!

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I was talking about Sonic fangame engines, not in games in general.

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Where do I find that? I'm not very good with computers.

12. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    That only works with Modified versions of Daminzean's Engine. With the one he made you are screwed.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I've noticed that BlitzSonic is really good, but it seems somewhat wonky. Although, it shouldn't be too hard to fix these issues.

Note that they all have to do with ordinary movement and/or the pinball mechanic.

1) (I'm pretty sure this is an issue because there isn't technically any real rolling implemented into it yet) Sonic needs a fixed deceleration. The reason why is because I went to playing SA1 and noticed how Sonic decels really quickly after letting go of the control pad/stick, and it feels really solid. However, I started playing BlitzSonic almost immediately after that, and Sonic (when running at a high speed and letting go of the controlpad/stick) took approximately about 4 or 5 seconds to actually stop moving. Of course, I know pinball mechanics are supposed to do that, but Sonic doesn't necessarily have pinball mechanics when in running mode, and it only really does the mechanic completely when in a ball. This could easily be fixed whenever we add the roll action into the gameplay, making where when in stationary/running mode, Sonic will decel very quickly (just as he will on SA1), and in ball mode he would have that delayed decel that is already given in the gameplay.

The question is, Damizean, could Sonic's decel be edited enough to where he could have almost instant-stop?

2) This is another thing I'm questioning if it would work. I noticed that even though the gameplay is built around a pinball mechanic, physics don't push Sonic in a certain direction whenever he's standing on a slanted hill. Can it be coded into the gameplay for Sonic to be pushed downward by slopes? If it could, then once we could get rolling implemented, I'd like to see that added.

14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Poo. Well, I'd like to see his 2.5D one in motion. Could someone upload a vid?

15. Looks like Damizean beat me to it. I too am developing a 2.5D engine in Blitz, but it looks like Damizean got one hell of a head start. I'm getting too old, I can't keep up anymore, lol. Nice job!

16. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The problem is that the engine doesn't have any screeching right now, and it looks like he never got to the point of giving it code for proper turning. Sonic simply accelerates in whatever direction you direct him, he currently controls like a hovercraft.
    This is how it was in the old games. In fact, the idea that this wasn't how it was set up in the old games was invented by people who don't think pinball dynamics should return.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That is true. It does bother me that he maneuvers like that, and if we could program that stuff in it would handle much better.

I speaking in terms of rolling. I know you aren't supposed to slide back down a slanted hill when out of ball form, silly. :v:

18. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    As far as I know, you can't roll at all in current versions of this engine.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I know, but I was getting at how it seems that the gameplay feels like you're rolling constantly, yet you can move yourself manually, and you aren't effected by being on slanted objects/land. What I'm saying is that the gameplay would be much more solid if:

1) Sonic was given the ability to roll
    2) Sonic's running/stationary movement is very solid (like SA1)
    3) Make Sonic's rolling movement feel just like how the movement does now, but
    without the ability to push yourself in a certain direction
    4) Make it where Sonic is effected by hill/slope steepness when rolling

But really, this would take very much work and engine revising. :psyduck:

20. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    On some of the mods, yes you can. I don't know if Damizean bother to put it in yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.