don't click here

Sonic ATS - Released!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner

Aha! Thanks Falk. I have that in my watch later playlist because I liked the tune. I knew I heard it from somewhere. You going to be using that as a base then for PPZ's music?

That's an intentional holdover from how the bubble shield worked in Before the Sequel. When the shield is "in their element" you can be harmed but the shield will stay intact. So the fire shield won't go out if you get hit in lava because then you would be pretty much dead. Same with the bubble shield. They function like normal shields when out of the watar/lava though. I thought it was a clever spin...

2. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    thanks again for the feedback guys, it's really helping me out.

@Tiller
    Castle Zone ? is called like this because I wasnt able to come up with a good name but...
    "Moon Mansion Zone" umm... do you mind if I use this one? =P

3. Falk

Falk

Haunted House Zone

oh come on don't give me that look, official games have zones like 'oil desert zone' :V

edit: Nocturnal Nightmare Zone. That'd make it something like this

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Go right ahead. I was just doing some ass pulling there. The moon and the lake really was the coolest thing about the background. :L

It's not like I have a copyright on it or anything! You won't find out until the lawsuit.

5. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    I was trying to avoid playing much of this until the final game is done, I want a lot of things to be a surprise like with the first, but I gave it a bit of a play... I admit mostly to try Beam Sonic and Mirror Tails. I spotted a few bugs, though. Honestly I almost hope you don't fix them, time attacking would be a breeze with these!

First, easily fixable bug: Pressing F2 to restart often leaves music playing, you should put an event to stop all sounds at the start of the very first frame.

Second tiny possible bug: The Sonic in the BG on the title starts out Super, then randomly teleports to the Tornado non-super when you press start. Intentional?

[​IMG]
    If you use the maximize button to maximize the screen, cutscenes won't stretch the same way the game does, probably due to the Active X use. Thus, when you use a widescreen computer, the flash will show offscreen things, not working well with fades or screen filling effects. I'm not sure if this is fixable, though maybe a different setting using the Ultimate Fullscreen object might help, adding borders instead?

Holding left/right while using Beam Sonic/Mirror Tails will make them inch right a tiny bit... even if they are facing or holding left, so I don't think it was a feature. The Super Peel-Out(or however it is called in this game) can be glitchy if you get hit by enemies, letting you jump around and die in the pose. The ground attack for Mirror Tails is similarly glitchy if you attempt to spindash or jump while doing it, you can make it act rather weird.

Not in the video but I also managed to do the mirror split thing right when getting damaged, leaving Tails stuck in place. I could attempt to spindash, jump and so on but nothing would unstick me.

6. Falk

Falk

Stretching to maximize 4:3 -> widescreen has always been a stupid solution anyway and I don't know why software packages have continued to do that, especially after non-1:1 pixel aspect ratios are a retarded relic of the past.

/rant

7. Crash Mobile

Crash Mobile

Portugal
    SonicKit
    This might be intentional (being the demo), but you can press R repeatedly after jumping/flying to fly indefinitely. It's especially fast when flying, because of the lower gravity.

Also, wasn't the Act Clear jingle supposed to lack that final chime from the OST?

8. Minferno

Minferno

This is one of the first fangames I've tried; and I have to say that it's truly amazing! It's a shame it isn't finished, though. I especially liked how you included a certain Armadillo.
    Do you need any zone ideas to fill in the gaps? If you do, I have a few ideas lurking at the back of my head if you'd like to use them.

The one thing I didn't like is how some levels are really long and only have one act. Unless you were planning to edit that, then that's the only problem I have with this game. I didn't find any bugs.

But overall, an amazing game and I hope it goes well. :D

9. Falk

Falk

Yup. The only time the OST chime version was intentionally used in game is in BTS, after the final final battle. Keep in mind that pretty much all the music in ATS is placeholder/incomplete/etc.

10. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

I kinda left out the final chime on the super sonic boss by mistake :v:
    there was just about some few hours before sage starts and I still had to beta test the game some few times so... I ended up forgeting about it.

@Minferno
    this is just a demo, all the zones will have 3 acts and a boss battle in the end =)
    just like the first zone.

@DinnerSonic
    well, the kirby power ups aren't finished, that's why they are just a debug feature at the moment. they are only mandatory in on level (cyan city act 2) which isnt in the demo.
    also, if you press Alt+enter or enter in full screen in the options the cutscenes will get streched with the game but for some reason I forgot to remove the maximize buttom.

well, thankfully, all those glitches don't seem to be game breaking. (except for mirror tails getting stuck, I really have to fix that)

11. Falk

Falk

Welp, it was intentional on my part. Funny how things work out (or don't :V)

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Hit2Ukh2c

MegaGwolf has reviewed your fangame on his Sonic Fan Showcase!

13. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Couple other bugs I found but nothing major in Parhelion Peaks.

This Checkpoint drops you through the floor if starting from it after dying. It's not that big of a deal since it just drops you into a spring, but its there.

Also not sure if this happens on all checkpoints, but when dying the time resets a bit like restarting the level. You can see it in the screen here as well.

[​IMG]

14. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    I noticed this on both adaptations of Before the Sequel too. Don't know if it's either Sonic Worlds or just LakeFeperd pulling a fast one on you with the concept of Time Points at the end of the game, seeing that you lose them through a playthrough, TIME not withstanding.

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It's an issue with Sonic Worlds and the level platform tiles that the player can go through. Respawning on top of them leads to that glitch.

16. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

yes, it is a glitch, gotta fix those

@Sparks
    I didnt knew about that, thanks!

17. BluGenesi

BluGenesi

Canada, eh
    Making films
    I have to say that ATS is much better then BTS in almost every way; Graphics, level design, and pure game play.
    All except the weak peel out, better sprite used. speaking of sprites, I love how sonic looks in this game! please put up a Png of every sonic and tails sprite, I need them!

18. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Peelout is weak when not charged and the spindash is better to get you moving faster with little charge. But a full charge peelout is faster than the full charge spindash. It also doesn't work so well underwater.

I actually dig that there is a subtle difference in them.

19. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

20. BluGenesi

BluGenesi

Canada, eh
    Making films