don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It's worth noting that S4e1 had pretty much the same physics as Rush. The only real difference is in level design, which in Rush was suited to said physics.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Dimps day times levels felt very... stiff. They played poorly, but they weren't designed bad. Now, if those levels were given a graphical update and thrown on the 360, then maybe I'd be tooting a different horn. Sonic Rush was good yes, but it started a bad habit of cheap level design. What amazes me about Dimps is that they got worse with level design almost with each game.

Idk, Dimps gets the bitch work and they always seem to make the sub par product. Remember I said they've been holding them back since Unleashed. For a while, Dimps was carrying the series while Sonic Team sucked. Now it's in reverse though, but not nearly as bad of a situation as it was in 2006 with Sonic team being bad and Dimps being mediocre. Now it's Sonic Team being good and Dimps being mediocre.

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    As tribute, the first zone NEEDS to be a desert. Dust Hill Zone can finally be real to end all the BS of the past.

4. Yeah I totally see what you mean, but I don't think that Dimps should stop making Sonic games. Now a game as important as Sonic 4, I agree with you, Dimps shouldn't be working on that. But I think they should continue what they had been doing, making decent handheld Sonic titles until they get back on there feet, if they do, then maybe start working on some bigger titles. Just a couple of mediocre titles shouldn't force them out of the Sonic series. After all, we still supported Sonic Team after games like Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog.

5. This is just not true. Rush was better, there was no sticking to the side of walls or any of that none sense.

6. Aerobian-Angel

Aerobian-Angel

"____________________" Member
    So yeah, I love how one of the few Dashpad-less loops actually has some convincingly good physics. As opposed to the other ones that don't trust itself enough to let the player try to surmount it on their own.

EDIT:
    I don't think that you guys are understanding Taxman here. He can't just have his code copied-and-pasted on there, nor just make "the real Sonic 4". Frankly, I don't think that he can do it yet. At least, not the way that Sonic 4 is set up.

7. I hope that was sarcasm. Just in case it wasn't, I know it's shown up in this thread a million times already, but...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCGiEIncR7w[/youtube]

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Um... I'm not sure if this is a good thing yet, just based on how Tails operates in Ep. 2. I'm kinda worried that Episode 2 may be evoking some bad attempts at a good idea.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I will pay whatever SEGA wants and then if its not retail price donate the difference of a retailed price game to Taxman. He deserves it. :v:

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Actually, they're right. Rush was different in a lot of ways, and I think most of you just just link Sonic 4 and Rush because it's the easiest way for you to explain how Sonic Rush felt different without being very technical. Sonic Rush is different because:

*Sonic can't stand on walls- a similar glitch can be done, but not plain standing there or stopping totally dead still.
    *Sonic accelerates faster.
    *Sonic doesn't have total inertia, though his stopping distance is much more limited.
    *His jump is much faster.
    *His homing attack is very different and allows more flexibility.

He does stop very quickly after letting go of your direction though whilst running. Obviously they felt that for Rush, being very different as it is, they couldn't use the Advance engine. Because it has 3D sections, not even sure the Advance engine was made for that.

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Is that so?

[​IMG]

It's still possible to stand on walls in Sonic Rush, it just happens less often. Also, FYI Rush is still built from at least some form of the Advance engine. No idea how they fucked it up so badly, but it's still from the same codebase.

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Sonic Rush used a modified form of the Sonic Advance engine? O_O WTF? I don't even know how it's possible for a team of developers to trash an engine that badly. The Advance games actually controlled well. I mean yeah, Advance 2's and 3's physics weren't perfect by any means, but it was a million times better than Rush's god awful engine.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They could always release a "Sonic 4: Retro Edition" next year, and every single Sonic fan would buy it and be happy with it.

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

But isn't the whole point of Sonic 4 to be......retro?

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    It was probably just that transistion to that 2.5/3D gameplay that made them do soo many modifications that it ended up what we got in Rush. If thats the case of Sonic 4 being Rush and Rush being Sonic Advance, wouldn't it be possible to change Sonic 4's physics into Advance since there all built off the same thing just modified? Of course after we figure out how to hack Sonic 4 PC in an easier manner.

16. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    I don't think Dimps is as bad a developer as most of you are making them out to be, take this little example:

Your a teacher, a virus has just spread amongst the staff of your school, and as a result, your now subbing for 3 additional classes. Each class obviously has its own homework, assingments, test, ect. Once you get back home its your duty to go over these assingments for grading as to hand them back over to the students, but now, you don't just have your own class to worry about, but 3 more! Chances are, said teacher is gonna cut corners and grade in a half-assed way in order to get these papers back out to the students, even if it means giving someone a C that should get an F.

Lord Nero, wtf are you talking about?
    Simple, I feel Dimps is being overworked to the max in terms of the Sonic series. Look back at the "good 'ol days", when Dimps was making the Advance series, thats all they were working on, and even the lesser praised titles shined brightly. This same fact reigns true with the Rush series as well, at that time, Rush/Rush Adventure were the only Sonic titles being produced.
    Now lets look at what happened after the PS2/Wii version of Unleashed shall we? You have Sonic 4: Episode 1, Sonic Colors DS and Sonic Generations 3DS all at the same time, AS WELL as Sonic 4: Episode II. Just like the teacher in my example, don't you think that Dimps would be overwhelmed and cut corners as much as possible to make the deadline and make ends meet? I sure as hell do.

If Sega could just bring in more developers to work on Sonic games BESIDES just Dimps, im sure there products would shine bright once more, like they did in "the olden days".

Please note though, im not defending the decisions that Dimps has been making as of late, but I CAN understand WHY they're doing what they are.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Well, they couldn't be used for the same purpose as Colors because we already know that you enter the Special Stages the Sonic 1/CD way. I'm guessing they are unfortunately used for unlocking concept art. I am hoping however, that they unlock a Playable Metal Sonic, or bonus Acts or Zones. That would be totally worth collecting them.

18. Felik

Felik

Don't make me laugh. That's definitely NOT HAPPENING.

19. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I could see Playable Metal Sonic happening, but not bonus acts and/or zones.

20. dsrb

dsrb

Challenge accepted:

See me.