don't click here

Sonic 3C 0408 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    Was that directed at me? Sorry if I posted too much.

Now that I think about it, I shouldn't be posting all this because Tweaker has full level maps already, so it's kinda pointless to document the changes now.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, I strongly encourage pointing out minute changes in the levels—the level maps we have don't support object layouts, and that's exactly what you're keeping track of.

Don't feel discouraged at all. :rolleyes:

3. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    THEN IT CONTINUES! :cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    In the final, these breakable walls were shifted to the left. Interestingly, Knuckles cannot break them while gliding, but they break when he lands. (This is in MHZ2, directly after the last shots I posted)

After that segment, the level layout is different.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some screens from the final for comparison:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
  5. I don't know if this is old or not, but the sound the perimiter blocks make in the slot machine bonus stage is different than it is in the final.

6. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Something interesting to note (not sure it has been mentioned before) is that several zones, namely the incomplete ones (hidden palace, doomsday, bonus 1 and 2) can't be selected by default; but they are selectable once the debug code (1, 3, 5, 7) has been entered.

7. Doomsday Zone 1 and 2 both use Death Egg's palette. As Sonic and Tails, Doomsday 1 loads broken Doomsday Zone level art, and Doomsday Zone music, along with an inert and broken up egg-robo sprite. The 'score time rings' display loads an incorrect palette, as does 'sonic'. There is also a line of rings at the beginning which have loaded the same palette as the HUD.

Doomsday Zone 2 loads the Death Egg Zone 2 background, and has all the sprites of the giant egg-robot scattered around. It also loads the Death Egg 2 music. The 'score time rings' display and lives display load the correct palette in Doomsday Zone 2. There also exists here a similar line of rings as Doomsday 1, but with a slightly wrong palette.

8. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    Very minor; while I was checking on the MHZ2 Robotnik differences, I noticed that once you're in the battle, when you hit him, you'll fly back much farther than the final. *shrug*

EDIT: Also, when he's still embedded in the ground transmitting his satellite signal, he's closer to that ledge in 0408. In the final he's farther back

EDIT 2: Found another one. In the same area as EDIT #1 above, the yellow stuff that comes up out of the ground when you jump and land is gone.

9. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
  10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  11. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
  12. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    I'm sure there's a technical reason behind the "Doilus Stage" glitches. It probably has something to do with the way the title cards are loaded.

More MHZ2:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This pole in 0408 was replaced with a wooden post in the final.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Special Stage room is missing.

13. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    In the final version, if Knuckles goes above the screen boundaries and tries to use his glide, the game slows him down extremely.

In this version, there is no such limitation, allowing him to do weird things like climbing on top of the zone:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Act 2:
    [​IMG]
    What the crap O.o

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This spring was removed in the final.

[​IMG]
    Oops! The switch only opens one gate. I had to debug my way past.

[​IMG]
    Another screwed up switch, when you step on it, that gate appears from the wall.

[​IMG]
    You can ride this lift into the ceiling without being killed. You can even jump into there, there's no collision there.

[​IMG]
    Special Stage ring is missing. (I think someone pointed this out in another proto.)

14. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes

Loose guess: Since hitting the lampost/midway, which is what gets you into the bonus stage in the first place under normal conditions, sets the secondary "return to zone" variable... Upon existing the Bonus Stage, it prepares to reload the zone title card of the zone it is expecting to return to after the Bonus Stage ends, which it logically deduces from the lampost/midway variables. (Only way in, only way out.) However, using the stage select to enter the stage makes the Bonus Stage itself the zone to return to, but it looks up the zone stored by the lampost/midway variables and incorrectly loads the wrong letters.

Short answer: Corus Stake is awesome.

15. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
  16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
  17. sky santuary zone act 2: The normal Sonic 3 Robotnik music plays when robotnik/egg robo is coming at you with the claw. After he grabs you with the claw, and takes you to metal sonic, the 'final boss' music begins to play, for one note, then flips back to the Sonic 3 Robotnik music. When Knuckles gets hit (and not every time) he ejects a weird bullet thingy.
    [​IMG]

My terrible screenshot shows it. It flickers very fast, making it hard to get a screen of it.

edit- I used debug mode to access the level- in 0408 sky sanc 2 isn't accessable without debug.

18. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    [​IMG]
    Had a hard time breaking through this wall. I had to jump up at it a few times, and I'm surprised it broke at all.

[​IMG]
    Strange behavior with the walking block robot thing and the crushing spikes thing. At one point I managed to get Knuckles into the floor.

[​IMG]
    Fake monitors embedded in the floor.

In Knuckles' path in SZ2:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This moving platform was replaced with a spring in the final.

[​IMG]
    This cylinder thing here moves back and forth in 0408, but is stationary in the final.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This moving platform was replaced with that scorpion-bot. Some rings were added as well, and the light switch removed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another mover removed in the final.

19. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
  20. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Kamek that's really neat that you notice that stuff...
    I'd ditch image shack though, it's annoying that you have to click on the pics to see them fully.

BTW
    I THINK those are monitors that when the sign post lands on them, they pop up.