don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan

Alan

Playing this now, its really good.

So far my best is a B on Time Attack 2, on challenge 4 now :D
    I cant wait to complete more levels.

2. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Okay, that makes sense. This game uses an auto-save feature, so there's no way to avoid using SRAM, I'm afraid.

3. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Either way, it isn't your fault. It is the Mac Genesis emulators. I will just have to wait until monday to play it at the computer lab.

Edit: The usual bypass actually worked! I used my savestate of a original Sonic 3&K rom set on the level select and renamed your hack to be just like the original file. I got to your menu now, but I don't know how much your edits will actually work the way they are supposed to. I will test things for the time being.

[​IMG]
    Yeah, since you made it that you have to get __ to unlock stuff with SRAM, I guess I really won't see everything. Still, it is a wierd bypass.

DISREGARD THAT--- IT ACTUALLY WORKS! I was not expecting this. I can continue on with the other challenges. All I have to say is wow. The sidekick challenge is genius, I would play a whole game just like this. Infact, it is exactly like Ecco where you have to follow somebody (or the moving screen) and if you leave the screen you have to do it all from the begining. Infinite lives though. Here it is more lenient that Ecco.

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    As much fun as it sounds at first, the time-limit really is killing it for me - the challenge is... challenging enough on it's own for me, for most of the time, when I reach the boss, I have, like, 5-15 seconds left.
    I am surprised I could even F- and E-Rank Time Attack 1 and 2, respectively. :psyduck:
    But, from what little I HAVE seen of this so far, it's a job very well done.
    Favorite unneeded detail: You can trigger the CNZ2 Switch yourself now, if you choose to do so. : D

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This is the best thing ever. Finally a hack of Sonic 3 & Knuckles which is actually challenging, I admit that some of the challenges aren't that easy, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this. Maybe I will even TAS it eventually :)

6. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Uh-oh.

Either another bug, or you are the most evil person ever.

In Sidekick 2, there is a platform that sonic pushes onto those pathwheels near the end, but when he jumps, he MISSES the platform, falls in the quicksand and dies. Which then gives a game over. :(

Please tell me its a bug and not an evil trick.

Edit: Now with pics.

[​IMG]
    Lalala I'll hop on and ride with Sonic! ^_^

[​IMG]
    WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK???!?!?!?!???

[​IMG]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (3 LIVES WTFLOL)

7. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Utterly epic.....

S ranked it all and throughly enjoyed it.

More sidekick plzzzz.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Mind telling me how you beat Sidekick 2? :(

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I love you for making this. I can't S rank anything for shit because I haven't played this game without blasting through as Super forever but still it's fun.

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    I had a problem at that same part earlier, with Sonic missing the mark.

It is just like messing up the demos of sonic one by holding down the jump button. If there is an ever so slightly flaw that messed up the sonic input he will desync. Well, his inputted movements would still be the same, but it would really be for later down the line. For me it happened to me twice in different places, with one of them there. Try the challenge again.

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Ashura: I beat that challenge, no problems. I don't know what your problem might be. I'm using Gens Plus as an emulator, so maybe that's the problem?

And Colin! Thank you SO freakin' much for this hack, man! And for Robotnik's Revenge. Since you released it last September I've played it literally at least once a week, and my best time is something like 7:45. I hope this one has the same replayability. So far, I've completed all the challenges except High Voltage 1, both Gravitations, and the latter two Final Battles. S-Ranking all of this is gonna be a challenge, but after so many years at this, I know I'm up to it!

Not to spoil much, but AWESOME job on that Knuckles boss in Final Battle 1.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Also, I don't know if it was me needing a level select savestate to actually get there, sometimes the game would break into debug mode.

You know, instead of the having the game break into song.

13. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I have been playing this hack for a while now and I like it alot! It reminds me of Timesplitters, for some odd reason. I dunno why, don't ask. xP

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I'm using Kega, which Colin said was fully tested.

I want to know HOW it happens though :/

15. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Bah, I only won the time attacks. It's challenging to search for all the rings and after that defeating a boss.
    Otherwise this is a very, very good hack. It's nice to see another gameplay in a S3K engine. :)

16. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Can we have a working download link now? ._.

17. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Okay, the screen above is most definitely not supposed to happen! I made it go straight to Game Over if Sonic dies because restarting from a checkpoint isn't really going to help matters. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though - it took a lot of painstaking work to try and guarantee Sonic's path through the level, and it looks like I must have missed something. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is the springy yellow vine thing. It once screwed up Sonic's path for me when Tails hit it just before him, but I've never been able to reproduce it so it seems unlikely that this would mess things up every time. I've also retested it just now while randomly pressing and holding different buttons and it looks fine. I'm really not sure what to suggest, sorry. :(

Everyone else, thanks for your comments. I spent a long time tweaking the difficulty because there's a huge difference in abilities here. I'm hoping that most people will find the challenges tricky but not insanely hard, with the really good players able to go for S ranks. I've also tried to get a balance between challenges that require speed and ones where the hard part is getting to the end meaning you can take things more slowly. From what people have said so far I seem to be roughly on the mark, which is very pleasing, but I do agree that Gravitation is a bitch!

18. neonsynth

neonsynth

Germany, Stammbach
    Heh, okay. I got much further. I mostly liked that Sidekick-Challenge. Now I know how the AI feels. :P
    This is pretty well executed!

19. holy fucking shit

Wow, this really does challenge you. I thought it would be easy and simple but no. god help me in trying to complete this. I'm going to have to chew on this for months.

20. neonsynth

neonsynth

Germany, Stammbach
    Mind about making multi-languaged builds?
    Not that neccessary, but still a nice concept. :P

EDIT: Bah, too much is just flowing into my minds including ideas ans suggestions, but have you mind about more challenges or stuff to unlock?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.