don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles Advanced.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Robjoe, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    I like both the Daytime/Evening pallete of Launch Base Zone Act 1. While the underwater bit could be a bit questionable... but it's still good nonetheless.

Stage 1: Yes
    Stage 2: Maybe. (It's usual for the stages to have questionable palletes.)
    Stage 3: YES
    Stage 4: Yes.

2. Robjoe

Robjoe

Actually, the third shot was of stage four, and the fourth from stage five. =P

That aside, I've come across a rather annoying bug in my hack. Look at this screenshot:

[​IMG]

Looks normal, right? Well, if he were to travel any further down, the game would reset to the Sega logo. This is really starting to piss me off, and only happens in AIZ1. Any thoughts on what's going on here, or maybe how to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah. Let's try something.

S3K generally resets when an exception occurs. Going below that point seems to trigger an error. So what we need to do is first track the coordinates at which the game resets. So go ahead and activate debug mode, and turn into an object. Slowly move down until the game resets. When you see it about to reset, mark down the Y coordinate of your current position.

After we have this coordinate we can work on tracking it in ROM and finding why it triggers an exception. I'm gonna take a guess and say it's located somewhere in the DSR.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser

I like lurking Member
    Canada
    These palettes here look awesome. I really like the green and blue mixture. Seems to blend in the backgrounds nicely. Keep it up!

5. Robjoe

Robjoe

Alright, needing a few more opinions on pallettes.

Title Screen:

[​IMG]

Probably not my best ever.

SSZ2 (Knuckles' part):

[​IMG]

This one I feel better about.

So, these OK? Or do they look like ass and need improvement?

6. Shade

Shade

They both look awesome to me.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd darken the clouds a little more so they don't blend with the floating island's colors.

8. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    The title screen is waaay too red. Tone it down plz.

9. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    You have my input for the Title screen, but the Background is So freaking awesome on Sky Santuary.

10. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    out of all the Sonic 3 and Knuckles hacks out here, yours is probably one of the better ones. But when will you have another release of your hack?

11. Gregster

Gregster

Oldbie
    The only problem I have with a dark background on Sky Sanctuary there is that the foreground isn't dark, it is still bright as day o.o Looks nice though, in a ...stormy sort of way :(

12. Robjoe

Robjoe

I understand, this is a bump and all, but meh. I've made a new release! Since I can't recall what the last one did and didn't have, I'll just do a general overview:
    • AIZ1 Layout completed.
    • AIZ2 layout and pallette completed.
    • HCZ1 pallette complete, but the layout is not final, because it sucks.
    • HCZ2 pallette completed.
    • MGZ1 pallette completed.
    • MGZ2 pallette completed.
    • CNZ1 layout and pallette completed.
    • CNZ2 pallettes completed (main, water, and lights out.)
    • ICZ1 pallette complete (urine is now gone!).
    • LBZ1 pallette complete.
    • LBZ2 pallette complete.
    • MHZ1 pallette complete and layout started.
    • MHZ2 pallettes complete (all three).
    • FBZ to be removed due to complications with layout. =\
    • SPZ1 pallette complete and layout started.
    • HPZ pallette complete and layout nearly finished. There's an object shortage and solidity issues.
    • SSZ1 (Sonic and Tails) pallette completed.
    • SSZ2 (Knuckles) pallette completed.
    • DEZ1 layout and pallette completed.
    • DEZ2 pallette completed.
    • First 7 Special Stages completely edited (layouts and pallettes).
    • Knuckles' socks changed to yellow.
    • AIZ1's water risen.
    • Edited boss hitcounts, with bosses getting progressivly stronger.
    • Music playlist changes. Azure Lake plays on MGZ1, Baloon Park plays on CNZ1, and Endless Mine plays on LRZ2.
    • Tunes 30 (Final Boss) and 06 (MGZ2) remixed.
    The rest of the information, (including screenshots, FAQs, and the download) can be found here:

http://shadowfire.sonicresearch.org/s3kadv.php

Big thanks to Shadow Fire for hosting it on his Shadow Realm site! =)

Note: Download is a Zipped BIN file.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This hack looks kinda neat. Rarely do I ever see a S3K hack. And the blue knuckles is a nice feature. I once got that blue knuckles via a glitch, and since it was on Mega Collection PLus, I saved it. How lucky was I.
    Palettes are looking good. Can't wait to see more for this game.

14. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I think this hack is excellent :thumbsup: well done, I especially love your Carnival Night Zone 1 layout I think its really good. I like the way you have changed the music for the zone as well. Keep working at it man

Also how do you select blue knuckles?

DJ

15. Robjoe

Robjoe

Thanks. You can access him by scrolling through the characters on the data select screen. I believe he looks like a delete sign on there. But he's prone to making bugs happen, so debug is good to have just incase. To get him on the level select, start a game with him, then soft reset (A while paused). Go to the level select menu and 04 should be selected. I still need to find the level select character boundaries to make accessable by normal scrolling there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.