don't click here

Sonic 3 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Relick, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Wow it looks great Streak. Do you think you could sign up on our site? That is, unless you were just providing a concept in which case :(.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Am I the only one who thinks that Sonic 3 has far more to benefit from a background art style more like the one in Rayman Origins? Sonic 2 benefits from a once-over in a vector art program because the game's backgrounds are built on repetitive patterns. Make the patterns look nicer and there you go! Most of Sonic 3&K isn't though...

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Agreed. But then, I think S3K is, for the most part, an ugly game. Horrible grainy pixels trying to look like detailed texturing = no. Taking it the other way would be a positive step in my (usually unpopular) opinion.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh god Sonic 3 looking like Rayman Origins. I just don't know if I could handle the awesome. My eyes might explode

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Any game would look amazing remade in the style of Rayman Origins, but that would make Sonic 3 lose its identity.

Sonic 3 looked kind of CG-ish, so making 3D models of everything might be the solution (see:Mushroom Hill 3D video).

6. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    I'll need to see more of this project develop code-wise before I start making art for it.

7. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Could you be more specific? I may be able to fix it if you are. Also, his head is made up of two parts. First there's the blue bit with spikes, then the muzzle. I'm not sure if you're counting that in this statement, but if you are I can see what you mean. And both the blue bit and the muzzle were started from ellipses. (I would say circle, but the muzzle was made from an oval.)

8. Fungasm

Fungasm

If anyone doesn't mind me popping up and saying, being a new person here and all... I would gladly love to help out on making the sprites. I'm a cartoonist/animator and huge fan of early cartoons. The sonic you posted lacks proper construction. Also his muzzle is a bit out of place. You may have made it identical to the sprite, however it's not about the shapes. It's about how you connect them. Knowing that sonic is mostly circles isn't enough. A cartoonist also needs to add a bit of organic shapes to it. And all gradients doesn't make it look that great either, as it seems like he's made from the same texture as his shoes. I'd like to give a try at making an example for you.

9. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

You guys, you guys, you guys. What'd I tell you on the S3HD forums? I said not to just retrace stuff. And what'd you do? Retrace stuff. Remember who your main audience is. This isn't the person who comes back to Sonic 3K after a decade and is playing it for the second or third time. This is someone who's going to come back to play for the fiftieth time. And if we're going to play the game for the fiftieth damn time, you've gotta give us some kind of strong, visual incentive to play again that makes the game feel enhanced. There is no way that tracing everything is going to accomplish that. "HD" denotes a visual enhancement, not simply a higher resolution. If I didn't have so much on my plate right now, I'd consider jumping in to save this thing (artistically, not programming). So once you do what Conan Kudo said and bring your programming over to C++, I wouldn't mind being a consultant for the level art in the project. I could draw quick sketches that aren't set in stone that would inspire you to break away from all the retracing and develop some interesting ideas from there.

I'm glad you managed to pull something together in three months, but that's still quite a bit of time gone going down the wrong track. The time for a turnaround is now.

10. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Yes. We're currently redoing everything and basing it off the official art. Our current Sonic for example is based almost entirely on the official art while still following key elements that make the Sonic 3 Sonic unique.

11. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

>basing stuff off the official art

Sonic 2's already doing that and it isn't that impressive. Plus, that only further reinforces the notion that you guys are just trying to ride on S2HD's attention. You're not doing anything different.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't want to turn this into a S2HD discussion but the point of Sonic 2 HD was to remake the game the way the original developers would have wanted it to look, however misguided you think that is.

Now, the Sonic 3 official art for badniks in particular is even less detailed than Sonic 2's, so I echo the notion that, for this time around, basing everything off of the official art isn't going to work. Sonic 3 needs alot more creative license to blossom in a 'HD' remake project. It's important to be realistic about what you, as a team, can actually accomplish.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    My vote goes for Rayman Origins/Wario Land Shake it style for this game. Redo Sonic's sprites entirely, don't follow any of the standards unless you just happen to. Have fun with it.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You mean the wrong proportions? Because that's precisely what makes that Sonic look off.

15. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG] That one. It looks like the official art, but his head has the 3D appearance that the Sonic 3 Sonic had. (his spikes don't look like a Mohawk.) Everything else is more or less the same as the official art,

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I love that sprite, and I love the way you're doing this. Good work!

17. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Really nice program. Instant crash upon launch followed by failure of my sound drivers and failure of all programs that use sound and loss of several recent files. I'm sorry but I don't want to go through this again to find out what caused it. I thought my computer was totally fucked.

Windows 7 Home Premium - Service Pack 1
    Lastest version of DirectX
    All updates installed
    ATI Radon 300 Onboard Graphics driver, 1366 x 768 at 32bits
    VIA Vinyl High Defination Onboard Sound System VT1708S
    ASUS
    Daul core AMD Athlon II 2.8 GHz each
    4 GB DDR3 RAM
    1 TB Hard Drive

18. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    It's infinitely better than the previous one. Yeah. Sonic no more has a skin of rubber and their shading looks impressive. Now I can say that you're going great with the art, but I want to see more than Sonic of this game. Specially because I'm interested on see how the music of this project is growing on.

19. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    So far Sonic is the only piece of art that's been finalized (maybe a few tweaks here or there). I am working on Knuckles, but currently he's still a work in progress (missing an arm too.) There is also Super Sonic, but we haven't done anything with him and I just have him as my avatar on the site. Perhaps we can get a screenshot of Angel Island soon... (I'm hoping we can get a Foreground Artist and Background artist though, I feel that will really speed things up. We have an artist for pretty much everything else that we would need one for, and we may have an animator.)
    As far as music goes, I haven't heard anything new. I know our Music making dude is working on Doomsday Zone, but that's all I know. I have confidence he'll be able to make something stunning though.

20. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Sigh... Proportions are everything...

Take a look at the official Japanese art again:
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/a/a6/Sonic3-box-jap.jpg

See? No contrasted shading, much rounded-circular like shapes, Some nice contrast on the back of the shoes to make it feel kinda glossy, and a general blue hue for white shades. Oh also, lovely round black eyes.

While its totally different than the game sprite, its pretty much the perfect example of Sonic 3's Sonic.