don't click here

Sonic 3 Game Cart

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mr.Unsmiley, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1st of all may I say sorry for posting this here, it just seemed like the right kinda place.

Anyway...

Does anyone know how the save work?s in the sonic 3 carts, is it a lithium battery back up or does it save to a chip?, reason I am asking is because my cart has stopped saving and I don?t want to go and buy another if it can be fixed.
    Thanks for any information you can give me!

2. RoboticParanoia

RoboticParanoia

Yes, these are flower men. Oldbie
    A Brisk Walk Through Time/Getigo Engine
    It can't save to a chip most of the times, since you have RAM (which is deleted when the power goes out) or ROM (which is Read Only memory). Unless there's a chip I never heard of.

If a Genesis game is like any other cart, it uses a battery similar to a watch battery. Just open up the cart and see what is inside.

3. Samui

Samui

Ice Kitsune Oldbie
    It's saved in SRAM...and probably there *is* a battery in there. What type, I'm not positive of, since I never open my cartridges, and I don't have a Sonic 3 cart. If you know what you're doing, take it apart and see. If there's a battery in there, see what type it is, and get it replaced. (If it's soldered, then you need to desolder it, and put the new one in, and resolder that...) - then you put it back together, and hopefully you didn't break anything, and you test, and see if the game saves again.

(Like I said, I'm not positve about the battery in there. I think there is a battery - since I remember playing Pebble Beach Golf Links, and there was an error about a battery backup. So there might be a battery in your cart.)

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    <sarcasm> Yeah, it's saved to a battery. No special memory chips, just a battery. </sarcasm>

Sonic 3 uses battery backed-up RAM. That is, there's a static RAM chip that's powered by a lithium battery. If you want to replace the battery, you'll need a Gamebit screwdriver to open the cartridge. Also, I'm not sure whether the battery is soldered or socketed. If it's soldered, you'll have to use a soldering iron to desolder it and solder on another battery.

5. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Why would you need to replace the battery? It's an everlasting source of power.

6. My guess was its a lithium battery back up ram that?s in there like mostly all Nintendo?s carts are, I just didn?t want to chance braking it just to find out, anyway thanks alot for the info iv seen gamebits on eBay though that was for snes carts, but I mite get lucky

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    You will need one Sonic 3 cart A, a hammer B and a hard floor C. Place A on C and apply B to A with force.

8. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    sonic 3 is a good game....

9. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Sonic 3 is a pile of unfinished crap. Sonic 3K is a good game.

10. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Edit: Changed image link to an attachment, so it doesn't put unneccessary load on my home server :)

That RAMTRON chip is the NVRAM chip that holds your save games. As you can see, there's no battery to run out. Though I'm not sure exactly how NVRAM works, I think it's similar to Flash RAM so will never require battery power.

It's possible to get your save games deleted if you run Sonic 3 (or other SRAM games) through an Action Replay or Game Genie cart, or if you insert or remove cartridges without turning the power off first. Happened to me many times! :)

Oh, how did I open the cart? Not with a hammer - with a pair of pointy pliers and LOTS of patience to undo the screws. Believe me, it was ****** difficult!

Attached Files:

11. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    well the Knuckles theme and mini boss theme in sonic 3 >>>>>>> Sonic and knuckles so much.

12. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    So are some bits of Sky Sanctary Zone Doomsday , Hidden Palace, and Lava Reef.

13. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    there different in the sonic 3 cart? :o

14. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Only bits, like some tiles. Only Sky Sanctuary loads, but of course, its just a mess of tiles and glitches.

15. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    um, I thought you where talking about the music.

16. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Flying Battary Zone actually has the Mini-Boss (Animal Container One) and Boss. If only the tiles could be restored.

17. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Im telling you why the music is there.

18. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    yeah I read that somewhere, if the tiles can be restored FBZ can be fully playable or something.

19. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    FBZ is in a semi-complete state in the normal Sonic 3, not unlike Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 final. The enemy sprites, behaviors and graphics are intact - as are the two bosses. In fact it's possible to hack a Sonic 3 savestate so that it doesn't crash when loading FBZ (forgotten how though!), and you can actually fight the two bosses! Shame that none of the level layout is in there, nor anything to stand on when fighting the bosses :)

Ooh, if emulation had been around when S&K hadn't been released yet, I bet we'd have uncovered these remnants of FBZ, formed all sorts of theories, then found the full version in S&K...

20. Badass Cyborg

Badass Cyborg

TX
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.