don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.

I asked because I didn't really care at the time to read it. Don't lay into me every time I do something stupid. You're just encouraging me to do worse things. =P

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So because you are criticized for being stupid, you do stupider things?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I think...the water there has no color.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'm pretty sure there's a technical reason for that, right? Due to there being "no water" in the corridor to the right?

5. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Yeah, the water colour in that section is magic to deal with the tunnel and the real water level being lower afterwards. If you want to hurt your eyes, try debugging back to the first room later on. :)

Thanks. No idea how I never found out about that step - maybe it just didn't exist last time I did any VGMs, when dinosaurs still ruled the earth.

I've updated the zip with the smaller files. No other changes, but feel free to re-download if you'd like a tidier collection. :)

6. This is great, though I wish you could have the original music when you switch to S&K. It is kinda weird when you are playing S&K when you here the S3 title song.

7. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    There is a patch to switch to the S&K tracks in the download...

8. DM Ashura

DM Ashura

Oldbie
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Gemini
    Oh, another couple of suggestions to add to my previous ones ...

- Somehow adding an extra floor for Knuckles in Death Egg Zone Act 1 so he can jump high enough to beat the boss

- Changing sprites for Knuckles / Tails in Doomsday Zone so they're not garbled (I suggest the regular flying sprite for Tails, and the gliding sprite for Knuckles)

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually I'd just keep Tails running pose as is. It kind of looks like Super Sonic's running pose anyways.

But I agree with Knuckles gliding though. Circle feet do not work in space.

10. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Very cool. I've been wanting something like this for a while. As someone who's never played through Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles, your hack will be the ultimate way for me to experience them! Thanks! :D

11. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I'm gonna post this here too, as you likely know where to find the data for this.

12. Yeah, this would be nice. Tails is fine, but Knuckles should be Gliding here...

13. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I read through the thread and saw other suggestions, but I think it works just fine. It's not like the guy ripped of the entire Megamix game and decided to call it "Sonic 3 Megamix". :P

Anyway, this is some pretty awesome stuff you've managed to do. 5 things I really liked:

*Transformation and de-transformation options, since some of us like to have the good ending and use the bada$$ Double Spin Attack.
    *The ability to switch between games. I found this rather cool.
    *Using the Sonic 3 music. Sure, I said I preferred the S&K music in another thread, but I guess it's grown on me especially since the Invincibility and Super themes are no longer shared. (Besides, there are patches to change it anyway.)
    *"Sonic 3-ifying" the game. I always thought that S3's title screen looked sorta stupid with the huge "& KNUCKLES" attached to the bottom.
    *Finding a spot for Sonic 3's awesome credits theme, especially since it was there and (oddly) unused in S3&K.

With that being said, awesome job Tiddles.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Funny you should mention that, there are actually some unused sprites in the game for gliding and climbing in Competition. As cool as the lock-on bonuses for that game were, I was kinda dissapointed how they didn't update anything for the versus mode. That said giving Knux those abilities would have made Sonic the 'dud' character in both gameplays though.

I also kinda like the idea of putting Knux's S+K intro at the start of Sonic 3 albeit in an Angel Island backdrop.

15. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I'll see what can be done with the emerald colours sometime, but it might just be a case of changing Chaos Emerald 2 in the special stage results to orange to be consistent with the rest of the game, rather than making it yellow to fit with later canon. Sonic 3 alone had it yellow in the special stage too, and it got changed to orange in S3K, so I'm guessing there's some reason for this, e.g. palette limitations somewhere else where the emeralds are shown. I'll try for yellow if possible though.

This is certainly something I hope to do eventually, with any luck.

16. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    This is excellent! Only thing im not too sure about is the 1 Up Sound from Sonic 3 Used in the main build you included.

Also (and this is probably me being a Tard) but I couldnt get Super/Hyper Sonic or Knuxx ?

17. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

It's at the start of the thread; hold C to jump and press B while holding C to transform. You can also de-transform in the same manner, and Sonic can now do it while wearing a shield.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...How about using triple jump instead? Oh yeah, Tails. =\

I'm starting to think that the double-jump transformation should return, to avoid everybody else having this problem. The B+C (or perhaps, any button + any other button) de-transformation could be kept as some kind of easter egg, though.

19. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Sorry, what? Two-button transform is a problem? Is it that hard to hold one button and press another?

20. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Well, all the person would really have to do to solve the problem is read the start of the thread first. :P

I definitely think MegaMix-esque transformation should stay for now, especially since a lot of people don't like a forced transformation when it's undesired. This also allows people to keep shields underwater, have Sonic transform w/o having to sacrifice his shield, and a whole bunch of other advantages.

A majority of people play MegaMix anyway, so they would naturally be able to adapt easily.

As for the people who don't:
    Couldn't have said it better myself. :)