don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I appreciate that sprite.
    I also like these:
    [​IMG]
    A good combination of the Sonic 1, Sonic CD, and Sonic 2 sprites. I always liked the Super-peel-out.
    I believe they are being used in Retro Sonic and or Sonic NEXUS.

2. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    Hm. Perhaps replace Starpost art with Tails and or Knuckles?

3. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
  4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    If this materializes, I suggest a name change. Sonic 2D blast sounds too unofficial.

5. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    Sonic 4

Sonic.. Flicky Island? :/

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sonic 2D Blast is a perfectly fine name, honestly.

I'm looking forward to seeing if this actually becomes anything tangible, though. This could be a very neat project.

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

I have two ideas to fix that problem:
    1 Have Act 1 and 2 combined to form the first Act, and create a fully custom layout for Act 2 (Although even that might not be enough to be a fulfilling Act.)
    OR
    2 Use both layouts in their respective act positions, and add much custom content to each. A lot would be needed, but that would make this hack even better. I strongly suggest this.

As for the soundtrack, I think that the original 16-bit one should be used. It will feel more retro, and connected to the original Sonic franchise.

8. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Sonic Retro is not SEGA...
    Why would a project need an official name? Sounds like a dumb idea...

9. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    Blast had some great levels and an awesome soundtrack, too bad it was married to medicore gameplay. :/ It would be awesome if there was justice down to the good elements of the game.

10. Agree with the second one. Just realised how simply flat and boring the normal levels are. They are clearly designed to show off the 3D-ness of the game, which might be lacking in this version.

And by the way, are we editting any sprites, or taking them directly from the game? I plan to have the Green Grove badniks ready by the weekend.

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

When it comes to Sonic's sprites, I'm pretty sure that we don't want the original Sonic 3D ones. But that's not for me to decide. When it comes to the badnicks, go for it. I'll be looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I like this concept. But of course, some things'll be strange. Like the badniks, with the exception of Panic Puppet Zone, there were a small amount of badniks, they would have Flickies. Still, this is indeed something worthy which could become a community project.

13. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]
    Done.

What project do we do now?

14. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
  15. synchronizer

synchronizer

I would prefer to use custom artwork based on the original for the foreground, and like you said, 3D rendered objects for the background. By the way, would someone please upload a high quality version of a Sonic 3D Green Grove Act 1 and 2 map? I would like to try something that may help, but I can't find any good rips. Or maybe someone could extract all the tiles, and assemble them for use please?

16. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]?

This would probably be easier to do as an E02/ProSonic fangame, but actually putting it on the original hardware would be so much more awesome. Either way, it's a really cool idea.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    You know, about the whole music thing, there's nothing stopping you guys from having the Genesis tracks and the Saturn tracks. Just make it an option in the options screen.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It would be interesting to do something like with Beggar Prince and allow Sega CD support.

19. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  20. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    ...I thought of this idea after I heard of ProSonic in 2006 and no-one said it was a good idea. =\

But I hope this turns into a real hacking project... I thought S3D was pretty decent, and there's a lot of potential with this in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.