don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Also I noticed a bug with gamepad implementation: it doesn't register diagonals. If I'm holding left or right, I can't hit a diagonal to make Sonic break in to a roll. I have to specifically release the direction, press down, and then resume the direction.

Rayman Origins on the PC does this too and it drives me up a wall. And, like Rayman Origins' flying levels, I can imagine it would make Sky Chase Zone a real bitch.

2. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Also, can we change ASD to ZXC? I fricken hate ASD control scheme for platform games. Other than that, the game was Sonic 2. It was as if someone somehow hacked Sonic 2 Beta with HD graphics and 1 stage.

3. Falk

Falk

You can rebind D:

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So since this has act transitions will there be level transitions too?

5. Falk

Falk

You know what? Fuck it, I'll outright say it- I find that leaving sound assets out in the open while 'protecting' everything else from 'public tampering' a hilariously retarded double standard. So suddenly Tee's work isn't as integral to the overall feel of the project's release candidate as the art or code?

In the meantime to highlight what a duplicitous dickhead I am regarding my own stance of double standards, here's a "tampered" boss loop, extended and slightly touched up to match the length of the original. I hope this "tampering" will appease the "public" (myself included) who felt something was off, until Tee extends it himself officially.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19357938/S2HDBGM%20-%20Boss.zip

edit: because it wasn't clear earlier, you can replace the file in the DATA\SND folder and the game won't balk. It's still obnoxiously loud/clipped because I had to match the volume of the original/the other tracks so the music didn't suddenly dip when you reached the boss. :(

6. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    A few oddities here and here.

[​IMG]

? Notice also that the Coconut badnik can normally just be jumped over in the original S2. This is not the case here.

[​IMG]

? Can't jump here to get to the top route. The floor should not be that solid here.

Still expecting (as many others) a native Linux version.

7. scanline99

scanline99

Passing By Member
    UK
    ???
    Sounds like you're onto something there Black Squirrel, thanks for taking the time to make the diagram too! I tell you, EHZ was not a kind mistress in the HD remake, and same as how Sonic's purple was too intense (which I think was actually eye droppered from the original sprite, but that was before my time on the team, best to query Vince or LOst on that), the navy blue sky and sea seemed far too dark and so CN and I elected to have it brightened up - somewhat controversial artistic license, yes, but something that is a little less stark, and as your diagram shows it actually ended up inverting the luminance difference between Sonic and the BG (I.e. he was lighter on the BG before, now he is a tad darker).

You were called out earlier by Falk for your hyperbole, and it seems like this is something you suffer from chronically as some sort of flimsy way of putting your foot down on a matter. It's a shame it makes you verge on libelling the words of others in the process too though. I didn't specify one isolated experience, rather I talked about TV's I've seen coupled with friends who have experienced similar, otherwise I'd have just kept quiet. Just because I mentioned a phrase in the singular I.e. "a TV" doesn't make it into "THE TV", one and only. I'm not really bothered about arguing whether the point I've made is true (it was just a curious little theory to maybe invoke some evidence from others more knowledgeable on the subject to either support or debunk it), but you've now twice misrepresented what I've said and targeted me to try and make me look stupid for some reason, and I'm not exactly clear on why I deserve that treatment. Reading what you've said, it seems like we've both had similar levels of experience with a different result and therefore all I can say is we'll have to agree to disagree and move on. Although one thing I will point out is at the end of your post you make some generic claim about how my argument discards the "entire design the original developers had in mind" which is a phrase that is meaningless without some reasoning for why that design is the way it is (see Black Squirrel's response as a well-reasoned argument for example).

You really need to work on your attitude problem though sunshine, no one's done anything to upset or offend you so I don't see why you are choosing to be so snarky on this thread.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I must be lucky. I haven't had any loading problems at all with the program.

Most of the complaints have been made in previous pages, so I won't bother.

The ORIGINAL GAME DO NOT HACK thing is ridiculous and hypocritical, though.

9. Nova

Nova

Yeah, I have to say, I'm not 100% on the mentality behind that. I appreciate that a lot of work has gone into this and that it's ultimately up to the team, but really, how far would this community have come if Sega dropped C&Ds on every hack of their work?

Just my two cents - keep up the good work, though. Nothing against the game you guys have put out at all.

10. Well, I'm sorry that I am not allowed to have any opinions on whatever, but now that we got the personal stuff aside, What exactly on my post is evidence of me not reading or understanding your post correctly?

Let me elaborate.

It's in the game. Fact. Sonic's friggin purplish-blue. The VDP is fully capable of displaying the blue that you use in your rendition of sonic no problem (Go grab a pallette editor if you want proof). Therefore, they chose this one because... they can. The other option was possible hardware-wise, so I don't think it's up to "interpretation" or anything. After all, it's a color.

Yeah, I don't really care. I talked to Falk on IRC and he was like "stop talking waaah" just because my screenshot wasn't zoomed in enough or some crap. Doesn't change my opinion that the music sounds cheap. Also, the DRM crap prevents us from putting in the older submissions when it was still actually a community project. Because, you know, those actually sounded good.

Plus, he blindly assumed I couldn't tell the difference between 128kbps and lossless which is insulting :( (mind you, I said it "sounds like", not it "is", could very well have been that is because of the clipping, as he and guess_who agreed to aswell)

Also, why is it weird to be enraged? I'm not saying it's your fault, I'm just saying that for 4-5 years dev time this is awfully disappointing both quality and moral wise.

Anyway, I'm sorry if you feel offended but yeah. Sucks if people have opinions, don't it.

11. scanline99

scanline99

Passing By Member
    UK
    ???
    I never said you weren't allowed to have your opinion, nor does it "suck" that you have one (again though, you're just compounding your hyperbole here, so the more you respond with these wild unfounded assertions about things I never said, the more you dig yourself into that hole). To repeat - we can agree to disagree. To break it down that means you are 100% entitled to your opinion on this game, Sonic 2, and life in general for that matter (as everyone is, always) and I am entitled to mine, it's just about having the right, respectful tone when discussing them with others and not coming off wth such crass arrogance or putting words in other people's mouths. We're done, case closed.

12. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    This is why we can't have nice things, you guys.

13. Not working here, Title screen displays but anything after that just hangs on a black screen, good work!

14. hwd45

hwd45

I go away from Sonic Retro for a few days, and this is what I miss?!

All I'd like to say is congratulations. I really like what you have done so far; the music is brilliant and the graphics are absolutely incredible! I can't wait to see what happens with the project next.

Just one quick question; do you plan to add Hidden Palace Zone? I'd love to see those pink glitch blocks in HD. No, really. I would.

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I played it once and it ran acceptably on my machine (64-bit here, although I got no warning from MSSE during downloading or unzipping, nor during a manual scan). Got around 34-40fps on my triple-core AMD Phenom II (2.1GHz clock speed) with 4GB of RAM and AMD M880G (Mobility Radeon HD 4250). I didn't expect to get a full 60fps with mobile graphics, but this is the best machine I currently own and it was definitely playable and enjoyable. That being said...

I refuse to play it any more at this point because of the retarded DRM crap. LOst, this is coming from me as an old friend - what the hell were you thinking? Code obfuscation and anti-hacking code does not become you. If you were to release the core engine and provide a way for people to make original games, and protect them, I'd be completely down. As it stands, you're protecting something that you don't really have the full right to protect (I.e., everything but the core engine). Imagine how mad you'd have been if the original games included code to hard crash the Genesis if certain actions were taken (accessing unused level slots, additional data checksums failing due to modification, etc). I ask you to please reconsider this decision. Already one person has claimed "Sonic 2 HD gave me a virus". How many more people out there have this impression just because their virus scanner gave a false positive, but they happened to be infected already from another source and mistakenly blamed it on S2HD. You seriously want to either A) go running around to people doing damage control, knowing that not everyone will believe you, or B) not give a shit and let people spread misinformation?

I apologize to everyone else on the team, but until the DRM is removed I will not be enthusiastic for this project, nor will I show it to other people (I don't want to take a chance on being blamed for an infection, as the person who gave them a copy, even though we know it's clean). Code obfuscation is shady and I don't like it (outside of the limited practice of intentionally obfuscating code for intellectual exercise, but that's different and irrelevant to S2HD).

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very nice and pretty title screen, I also liked the act transition. It's clear that the art & music staff put a lot of effort into this.

Now that the positives are out of the way:

I think it's fairly obvious at this point that this game has exactly one real problem: LOst. DRM in a fan remake of a 20 year old game that you don't even hold the IP to? "Holding the release for ransom" (I can only assume a last minute holding back of the engine until some demand was met)? Saxman's sound engine, that he's talked about so much in recent weeks, being rejected in favour of WAV files that are just duplicated for the sped-up versions, increasing bloat (and WAV? This could easily have been OGG and looped)? The DRM originally even barring taking video and fucking screenshots of the damn game?!

Considering this was based off entirely reverse engineered code - something you yourself have done many times in the past - not only is this an insult to the end gamers (some of whom are having severe issues running the damn game simply because of the DRM), it is an enormous piece of hypocrisy on your part, LOst. Absolutely gigantic. It's a damn shame an otherwise promising project has basically been torpedoed by this.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I checked the logs and it always stops at the sound engine when it halts at the black screen.
    Code (Text):
    1. Processing NakaAudioDS8W32::Start();

18. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Wow. Please don't tell me that is why Saxy's sound engine wasn't used.

If it is. Just... :psyduck:

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Woowwwwwww this for real? What a dick. DRM on free software created from reverse engineered game from 1994 based off code you didn't make?

Just seriously. Dick.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Okay we've come to the conclusion that LOst is a dick.

What now? I highly doubt the S2HD team is going to drop everything so that another, more "open" programmer can create a new engine that doesn't reek of this supposed "dickery". So either we are going to ignore what S2HD could be because LOst is apparently being a little overzealous in protecting his (and I use the pronoun loosely) engine, or we're going to go "fuck it, I want to play S2 in HD so what the fuck ever"

Seriously you guys. DRM in a fangame is ridiculous, but boycotting a fangame because of DRM is also. You're not paying for it, after all. So in the end, if LOst and the rest of the team feel like like noone's going to play it due to this perceived dickery anyway, then why would they bother continuing? They've got actual money-making ventures to aspire towards now. All that's going to happen is that you don't get what you've wanted all this time because you wanted to protest the programmer's decision to protect his work.

EDIT: I'm actually more bothered by the complete omission of thanks going towards the initial contributors to the community Sonic 2 HD project that didn't make it onto the final S2HD Team. Without them, this project might not have gone anywhere at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.