don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    It would appear that each symbol table is built for a seperate file, and symbols don't have scope in any other file unless they're explicitly exported and imported. In that way, their assembler has an architecture quite similar to the common C compiler (or, to take an example from my personal hardon, AS's sections).

Too bad we don't have the comments anymore. Those are a good indicator to how many people were editing a particular file. Don't take that as a complaint, though; we're plenty lucky enough to have the labels.

2. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Are you sure the symbol table belongs to a sonic game, and not something else that was on the cart? Have you found a name or reference that links that data to sonic resources?

3. Aurochs

Aurochs

http://cinos.gunsha.com/s2proto_code.txt

This is so obviously the code for debug (edit, as they called it) mode that it hurts. Note that the symbol conventions are roughly the same in this file as in the debug tables that drx is working with.

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Yes, I'm sure about this, it's actually harder to describe than to just look at it, but I'll try:

-the whole 0x20000 byte chunk of code is consistent - it's pretty clear that it's an exerpt from the assembler's buffer (which was somehow uncleared at the time). the whole chunk has also other numbers assigned to each label and address (which is probably to identify it all, and some parameters - there are different types of references, labels etc).

-it contains code that is very similar and/or (depending on the 'file') identical to what we have in the nick arcade build (like this boss code)

-the labels are followed with absolute or relative addresses, which fit perfectly with the code

-somewhere inside this (from the top of my head - around 0x60000), there is a fully uncompiled exerpt of the debug mode source code

-inside this, some nifty stuff slipped in - Main level load blocks and pattern load cues from the earlier build

-they reference to tails as 'fox' :P

And like I said, I'm going to get it all together in a your-style breakdown or something.

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Im interested in the HTZ leftovers, are they block mappings or a level layout?

6. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I myself am particularly interested in this 'different' CPZ.

7. Vangar

Vangar

Same. When the code is completed, what will be of it? Level layout? Art?

8. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    Oh well, might as well post here now that someone else beat me to it. CPZ has a different debug code, consisting of objects not found in drx's beta. Hill Top isn't there at all, from what I could see, where did you see that? O_o

There are references to "sandcrab" and "bubbler", along with bits and pieces of Sonic 1 being turned Sonic 2. The most interesting bits deal with enemy and boss data, though.

Example of this un-arranged fossilized code:

Code (Text):
    1. ; enemy: Gator (HPZ)
    3.     gatorchg00  c
    4.     gatorchg01  c$
    5.     gatorchg02  c'
    6.     gator                   b
    7.     gatorsp00                   cH
    8.     gatorsp01                   cj
    9.     gatorsp02                   cî
    10.     gatorsp03                   c«
    11.     gatorsp04                   c?
    12.     gatorsp05                   c?
    13.     gatorsp06                   d
    14.     gatorsp07                   d6
    15.     gatorsp08                   dX
    16.     gatorsp09                   dz
    17.     gatorsp10                   d?
    18.     gatorsp11                   d?
    19.     gatorpat                    c0
    20.     .end$tdba                   b¦
    21.     .end$pdba                   b`
    22.     .out$udba                   c
    23.     .set$udba                   c
    24.     gator_0                  bé
    25.     gator_1                  bŽ
    26.     .lft$udba                   b?
    27.     gator_move_tbl  b
    28.     gatorinit                   b
    29.     gatormove                   bb
    30.     .jump2$tdba           b?
    31.     gatormove_tbl          b~
    32.     gatorchg                   c
    33.     checksonic  b?
    34.     .jump$sdba  b?
    35.     .rt$udba                    b°
    36.     .jump$beba  ep
    Near the end it you can see how it does the "mouth opening" routine. =) By the way, I don't think this is ASM, but rather a custom sccripting language based off it (some things are handled very swiftly). In any case, it's the Sonic 1 source code - with garbled pointers - but can probably be restored, and drx is already on it, as I see.

...this is probably highly illegal to view or use, though'.

9. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    um excuse me but wtf r u talkin about

10. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    What you posted, CNZ, is a list of labels. And yea I'm gonna convert them along with the code into something human-readable sometime soon.

11. Aurochs

Aurochs

Could you repeat that please? I think I had something retarded in my ear.

12. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    The retarded thing might not be in your ear, but in your sense of sarcasm. After going through the code though, I'd better either ask for that post to be deleted or just shut up in general (which I probably will anyway), so no flames necessary. :P

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    script? I think you might be thinking of the macros they used, which is all handled by the assembler.

14. Serginho

Serginho

Pending Member
    Trying to learn how to hack
    hi, I'm new at the forum.

I was reading the topic and found you talking about the unused collision animation when sonic hits a wall fast.
    playing the game, I noticed another animation (don't know if someone already seen it, I jumped from the page 20 to here) that's not used in the final version, you can see it when you run and turn to the other side, making sonic brake.
    here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

bye

15. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    We've known the braking animation is different since time immemorial. How exactly did you pass the test if you weren't even able to check on the website and figure that out?

16. Serginho

Serginho

Pending Member
    The test hasn't asked:

Do the members know about the brake animation that wasn't used in the final version?

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No
    [ ] Maybe

;)

17. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Had he looked at the site 1st instead of just trying to join the forums he would have known about the different braking animations. Before I joined and started posting I made sure I read all the info about the prototypes and the Final version as well as playing them both to death.

DJ

18. Serginho

Serginho

Pending Member
    I read the topic until the page 20 and found nothing about it, and I have no time to read all the 41 pages of the topic or start reading all the forum nonstop to find if my information was already posted before or not.
    I just decided to post this because I havent found nothing about this until the half of the topic.
    if everybody here already know this, great. its just a reposted information.
    if not, its a chance to know.

its simple, you guys don't have to crucify me for this.
    if it was a wrong information or something like this, ok, I was supposed to receive all the criticism and shut up, but I think that's not the matter.

if I'm here, its because I have some real knowledge about sonic and was capable to pass the test, but it doesn't means that I pass all my life in front of a computer hacking a game or reading/posting in an advanced forum. I apprecciate those who can do this, but that's not for me.

I don't think this discussion is useful at all, so lets stop it.

bye

19. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    No-one's mentioned that braking animation in this topic because it's also used in the later prototype, as mentioned on this page - http://www.s2beta.com/compare

Also, it'd be nice if people didn't keep attacking newbies.

20. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Well as I said before, I'm not interested in the prototypes themselves but what hackers can create with them.

Therefore I have little knowledge of the prototypes so I wouldn't make statements out of my ass of things that I don't know abt.

But I did pass the test because I took the time to find the answers. Took me 40 mins but I was happy that I did. ;)

This board has the first news of hack updates usually.​