don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, they can take their time to look for any relevant documentation they may still have at home, for example.

2. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I'm an advocator of e-mail interviews as well. While you can't capture the emotion attached to the interviewee's replies in a telephone or Skype conversation, interviews conducted over e-mail allows both the sender and recipient to articulate their questions and answers much more elegantly and plus it allows the interviewee to recall certain time-specific information and document them in text more gracefully rather than giving you constant "umm"s as a reply or even giving you a lousy "sorry, I don't remember" (depending on the person's memory that is).

3. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    All true. We prefer face to face interviews for the purposes of the magazine as they allow for photography (having people posing with their games looks good in a feature, y'know?), but I don't actually think that any one interview method is definitively better than any other from a non-commercial standpoint. Emails are considered and asynchronous affairs which negate the need for transcription, while doing things face to face or on the phone allows for a greater volume of content, increased flexibility and a lack of self-editing.

In my experience, a lot of the advantages of doing things face to face are negated if you're interviewing through an interpreter. Even if the interviewee's grasp of your language isn't perfect, as long as it's sufficient for you to carry a conversation I'd advise it. Compare the quality of answers gained from Takashi Iizuka (interpreter) and Jun Senoue (no interpreter) - even though Iizuka isn't a particularly open interviewee in general the gap is pretty representative, with Senoue's answers coming off as more natural and flowing. As a result, email is usually my preferred option if I'm going through an interpreter.

4. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    This is unrelated to the above, but...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_QvTsArjQ[/youtube]
    Concrete proof that Egg Gauntlet is still accessible. As to how it was done... I don't have that information as of yet, since it doesn't say so in the video description. This makes me wonder whether or not Desert Dazzle and Final Fever are still accessible in Sonic CD.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Whoa, well-done! I'm surprised and kind of depressed Sega didn't let a level so complete and polished be part of the final product officially, but it's awesome it didn't go to waste :D

6. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Was that directed towards me? If so, then this wasn't my doing. All I did was link to the video, but maybe I should have been more specific about it in my above post.

7. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Their assets do not exist in Sonic CD 2011. Besides, Taxman himself said that all that existed were the mockups he showed.

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The levels were partially playable, but never included in the retail copy. As for Egg Gauntlet, the WIP assets slipped through on the first version of Sonic 2, but it's not in the data file in the subsequent updates.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That's a shame. You did great work on it! It looks super fun :)

10. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    Those assets... where... Wait! Isn't that looking like the assets from Sonic Crackers, or am I just imagining things here?

11. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, a lot of the graphics are placeholders. Had we gone on with this design, it would have been cleaned up with new art and looked much better (for example, the Death Egg Robot would have been inside an aquarium). But obviously, before that sort of dev time is invested we have to be sure that the design is going to work - and after several discussions it was decided that the Sonic 2 bosses should not occur outside of their "canon" environments.

Looking back on it now, I think I actually prefer just being able to blast though the bosses with next to no filler.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It could always be reused as Final Flashback Zone Act 2, in Sonic 5. =P

But first we need Sonic 4 Retro Edition. =P~~

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It was a fun novelty with Robotnik's Revenge, absolutely. But that mostly worked as a challenge mode (rank grade, anyway) rather than a simple boss rush stage.

Hell of a lot better than E.G.G. Station anyway, which was an even worse X-Zone/XX-Zone.

14. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

I decided to record a full, non-lagging video of Egg Gauntlet. Took me approximately 30 rerecords because of failing recording software and the level actually being hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSrEAVFnKc0

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Heh, I wonder how difficult it would be to implement that in a ROM? I'd love to play that on Mega Drive hardware.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, there's someone's challenge: backporting this and HPZ into the rom. :specialed:

17. Thanks for doing this! It was a delight to see this.

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Egg Gauntlet Zone will now officially ALWAYS be Cyber/Genocide City Zone to me... I want this in a hack. It's a good thing I saved the previous version of the game on iOS

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Lest we forget what Egg Gauntlet was based upon?
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Robotnik%27s_Revenge

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Taxman, was there ever any music done for the scrapped new zones in Sonic 2 and CD? If so, would you be kind enough to share it with us?