don't click here

Sonic 1 (2013 - iOS/Android) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skaarg, May 17, 2013.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I did something like that a while back
    [​IMG]

2. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Was listening to the music for quite some time today as I'm a very big fan of the higher quality in the music but when it came to the special stage, something didn't sound quite right and I've located the issue: a lack of background bells.
    This is most evident from the start of the tune and while I don't know whether this was intentional but (while it does make the music sound more mysterious, as it were) it's still inaccurate and I prefer the original tune.

3. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    What the-SON OF A HIPPO'S LEFT NUT.

Bit of a pointless thing to keep in, though, it just adds a bit of unnecessary dexterity :p

Still, an alternative method of accessing debug mode for people using programs like Bluestacks would be nice at any rate.

4. Machenstein

Machenstein

That's really nice. That's the kind of improvement I was talking about. So the original background was magnified? That explains why it's so pixelated compared to the other zones.

5. dsrb

dsrb

Ah! There's a fair chance it was your rendition I was vaguely remembering. :D

I haven't noticed this but will check it out. Anyway, from the limited selection of songs I've heard so far, the most noticeable thing is the decreased punch and grain of the bass, probably due to the absence of some of the more individualistic quirks of the YM2612 (ladder effect, TDM, etc.) I'm pretty sure I prefer the originals too. Not saying there aren't good points about the new versions, like you said - and I don't want to downplay the effort that went into developing a new engine and all the possibilities it opens - but I guess I'm set in my ways here! Having said that, I mostly hear the YM2612 in emulated form, rather than on an original MD, so I can't claim to be a total purist. :P

6. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

I got the same thing on my LG Optimus L9 and I solved it the exact same way. Not sure why that happens. It also happened for me in Sonic CD 2011.

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Fair point, but we are questioning the realism of Goggles protecting on from drowning in a SONIC game...
    Secondly, by this logic and realism... I reiterate my second question. WHY do they function as a Shield?

For me, I just reinserted them into my hack as drowning protection that lasted for a short time, a la invincibility and speed shoes, without any sort of damage protection.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, to be fair, does anyone really know what the goggles were going to do? Why not make them a sort of underwater shield? Although I think a cool effect would be that the googles would remove the wavy underwater background, kind of like making it so the googles make things clearer.

9. dsrb

dsrb

Excellent idea! Not massively helpful to gameplay, but it would give them some purpose, at least.

Future games with more visually disruptive water might benefit a lot from your suggestion... just make sure they pay you commission. ;)

10. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I like that idea also... perhaps I'll look into how the water ripple effect works, and see if I can't get to be more wavy... and have the Goggles disable this.

11. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    That fixed it. Thanks.

Due to my gigantic thumbs playing the game on the touchscreen is a bit of a pain for me. Finding it really hard to jump precisely, and pressing down to spindash invariably ends up with me accidentally turning in the wrong direction.... Something that didn't happen (as much) with Sonic CD.

I wish I had this on a big-boy machine with a nice proper pad to play it on so I could enjoy/complain about it better.

12. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

One of my friends reported a bug, that he was able to reproduce several times, I guess it could be qualifying. He is using an LG Optimus L3 with Android 2.3.6.

13. gold lightning

gold lightning

Assuming bluestacks handles input the same way my wiimote interpreter does, then the cheats for the original game will work as well. Just use 3 in place of C.

14. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

A major issue I've been having with the re-release is the Special Stage diamonds protecting the chaos emerald have smaller collision boxes than they used to, making it more difficult to hit and "break" them, as well as the final "red" phase lasting twice as long as the other colors, which I don't remember being the case originally. In addition, it seems the Special Stages themselves speed up their rotation faster than they were originally, but not sure if that's just me.

A lesser issue is that Knuckles doesn't seem to change direction when jumping off a wall like he usually would without input.

A minor suggestion would be to raise Super Knuckles' Jump Height. I don't really know why, but I've always been bothered that between the original trio, Knuckles is the only one who doesn't get an improved jump height while in Super form.

15. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Well, I was informed there was a workaround for enabling the level select, which is neat, and I'll try that, too. Thanks.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Hmm, just thought. If the special stages and boss ball spin smoothly why don't the flowers in GHZ? It'd be pretty nice if they did, or had an extra frame or two.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

A new glitch I don't think's been reported yet: if you get a box and you're going fast and the box is not on screen by the time it's meant to add rings to your HUD, it won't.

Example: plant a box at the start of Spring Yard Zone and spin dash in to it and hit the spring- as the box is now quickly off-screen, it won't give you the rings.

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    That's because you're placing the item box in debug mode.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Guys, you're forgetting that this is exactly how the original designers intended the Green Hill background to look. It's not like there's a bug that made things look like they did.

• The background layer looks pixelated.
    • Some mountains look like they're mistakenly using the wrong tiles in places.
    • The walls are checkered like a transparent canvas in most painting programs.
    • The palmtrees look polygonal.
    • The wrecking ball almost looks 3D-modeled with that visual effect in place.
    • The clouds look realistic as in "almost stock-like".
    According to the concept art, Green Hill was originally conceived as a "CG-like zone", and all those things seem to be representing many aspects of different kinds of computer generated graphics, from crudely constructed low-res pixel art to the (then cutting-edge) technology from the early 90s.

Pure genius, I'd say. None of this needs to be changed "just for the sake of it". =|

EDIT: As for the Special Stages, the original team was clearly aiming for the best smoothness they could get, so that made more sense as a technical improvement to make for this port.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Is that the case?! Wow, that's really awesome then. Changes how I look at the zone...
    Genius, as you said.