don't click here

Sega Saturn

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Naoki-S, May 2, 2010.

1. dsrb

dsrb

Not at all :thumbsup:

2. Doubt it. He bought his from a shop back when they were around I think.

Possibly such an early revision that WAS compatible with MD carts because it had the cuircutry and the physical requirements?

As I said, I have none of the funds to do so, plus I'm borrowing it, so I see not much point anyway if I'll be using it for 2~4 weeks?

I wasn't planning on opening it anyway, rather use a staple or paper-clip to press the button.

It depends on the games I'm allowed use of anyway.

Fair enough, but I thought you were saying to buy, which I then thought was pointless for a couple of weeks anyway.

3. DrHertz

DrHertz

I Live in Your Eyes Member
    Worthing
    Thinking
    The music for Sonic R is brilliant! I know it's not exactly the best music in existence, but it fits the game enough and adds to the charm.

I've had my Saturn (model 2) for over 10 years and she's still working! The most reliable console I've ever owned even.
    The swap disc trick has been doing me well but I'm going to invest in a ModChip soon, and after hearing about those 4-in-1 devices I'm certainly going to invest in one!

I really don't like disc swapping on my baby, I just know something will go wrong and I'd be livid is she died.
    But there are so many amazing games out there at my finger tips!
    Owning a Saturn certainly is a pleasure =D

4. dsrb

dsrb

Again, do you really think such a thing would exist without being extensively documented? Is it so far-fetched that your friend is wrong/bullshitting?

5. OH RLY? Someone should fix that. :P

Would be awesome.

6. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    In regards to chipped Saturns, anyone based in the UK who's interested will love the following two sites - ConsoleGoods and ConsolePassion.

Got my chipped, multi-region, Japanese White Model 2 Saturn from the latter last Christmas, and it's been going pretty swell since.

7. dsrb

dsrb

That reminds me of something related to my earlier speculation about new 4-in-1s being clones/knock-offs:

…or because it costs too much to mass-produce, amirite? ;)

I may be wrong, and it's not like the originals were officially licensed anyway, but still! :tinfoil:

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
  9. I doubt it. He's an exprienced person when it comes to hardware. He's the one who actually buys and tests equipment for his job.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Your friend is bullshitting.

11. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    He's still not telling you the truth, I'm afraid. A machine with that kind of cart slot would be incompatible with Saturn accessories such as the backup memory cartridge - it would have been scrapped at the QA level.

12. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    I can't say about pre-production Saturns, but all production models have the same cart slot and hardware, and it's not MD compatible. It is possible that he saw a special test unit made specifically to see how much BC would cost, and subsequently determined that it was too expensive or prone to problems. POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely. What is more likely is he saw a Master System emulator running something like Sonic on a Saturn with a memory cart and he MISTOOK it for running a MD game.

13. He either remembers it differently to reality or such a Saturn DID exist. I'm gong to leave it at that, since I'd rather not argue and go all arrigant.

He knows the difference, plus this was a Saturn he owned. I can't say much else like what model it was or much else since it wasyears since he apparently played the MD carts on the Saturn, and plus I think he got rid of it

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Maybe he remembers playing Sonic 3 (in Sonic Jam, of course) on the Saturn and mistook a RAM cart on top of the Saturn for a Mega Drive cartridge?

Not trying to start something here, just offering a scenario, but maybe that's what he remembers?

15. Could be anothe scenario, but I highly doubt if he was using it to test some games which he would either sell or keep, which is what he told me he used it for at ojne point.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah. Take it from someone who's got 4 Saturns - the system cannot play Mega Drive games. He's either wrong or just plain lying.

Also seconding getting the AR cart, they're quite useful.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I'm going to go with the theory that it's a CDX. Hey, it fits!

18. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    That's possible - I got a CDX and Saturn right here together, and the CDX is easily it's "little brother".

19. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The Saturn was never supposed to be backwards compatible. It was designed to be System32 with a little Model1 on top.

20. I know that a lot of people on eBay can't tell the difference between a Sega Saturn and a Sega CD Model 1. Sad but true.

Possible your buddy's one of those types. If it's a Sega CD, the CD-burning rules should be quite a bit more lenient - you could play a burned Sonic megamix fine.