don't click here

SEGA References in pop culture.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Lobotomy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. I don't see a Panzer reference myself.

Speaking of Panzer is it just me (and most prob is) but the break screeching sound effects in SEGA GT 2002, sounds so much like the dragon scream from Panzer Dragoon Orta

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Not making a new topic for this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1995 (and maybe 1994?), Sega was a sponsor of Nickelodeon Studios. Or at least bits of it. This is the only proof I have.

Nickelodeon was very much an American thing at this point in history - I can't really relate, other than acknowledge that this was a thing that existed. But the internet has its Nick fans, so I'm hoping one of you can find the Sega bit.

4. Started watching Gamera Rebirth on netflix, and Outrun cabinets are prominently seen in the first episode as it takes place in 1989.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    RE: The question writers are my age

New to BBC One, 6PM on Saturdays, "Alan Carr's Picture Slam", the cheapest of cheap game shows. I only caught a bit of it - I don't think Alan Carr wants to be there, and I'll be amazed if it's picked up for a second series.

[​IMG]

"what is this"
    "what is this"

I'd put good money on Sonic the Hedgehog showing up in later episodes.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    I saw that in the listings earlier this week and immediately thought "some researcher is going to put a Sega-related thing on this too at some point". Thanks Richard Osman and the cruel sands of time for making it seem like an inevitability by now.

Didn't think it'd genuinely happen in the first episode though.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Interesting that the photo is a MD1 with red start buttons. I know MD2s were packaged for a while with white ones (mine was one), but the other way around?

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • List
  9. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    Okay this is interesting. It's the Manhattan all over again. They're very likely unrelated, but it illustrates how popular the Mad Money Star really was.

I think we can find room for this.

10. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I wouldn't read anything into that. I don't actually know if Sega has any official imagery of the Mega Drive available, but even if it does, press photographs usually come with terms of use that prohibit alteration, which would have meant that the BBC couldn't have Photoshopped the logos off the console and pad for the purposes of the quiz. Even though the BBC is massive, the budget here looks like it was pretty low so they wouldn't have bought photography, and I'm guessing that they either didn't know about or couldn't use the excellent free photography Evan Amos has taken. In that case, I'd guess they just borrowed a Mega Drive from someone in the office and shot whatever they were given.

This sort of thing definitely happens in large media organisations. Take the photo below (found on GamesRadar) as an example: the system is in clean condition, some cartridges have been included to remind you of the classic games on the console, and some nice tertiary items have been chosen to give a flavour of the time - on-brand magazines, a VHS tape, some sweets and an anachronistic Sonic figure. Now, I'm told that the owner of this console has good looks, bags of talent and impeccable taste (I mean, just look at the games), but I gather that they also got it second-hand with no official pads, and had only acquired ones with red Start buttons in the years since. Working with a tight deadline and no budget, the rule of "close enough" was invoked and the photography session took place.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  11. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    There is a very small, blink and you'll miss it reference to Sega in the latest episode of Map Men

at 2:19
    Code (Text):
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJU-KYMREbQ&start=139

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Mixed martial arts:

Finally we can see someone pinned up against a Sega logo. This is "Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2001", sponsored by Virtua Fighter 4.

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20020101/inoki.htm

[​IMG]

https://web.archive.org/web/20020127064437/http://www.sega.co.jp/event/ev_vf4inoki.html

Not super sure if I trust the translation but this might have been the first occasion where the PS2 Virtua Fighter 4 was made playable. The event took place on the 31st December 2001, while the game launched in Japan on the 31st January 2002.

We know the PS2 version also showed up at Tokyo Game Show 2001 Autumn back in October, but that might have just been some promotional on-stage talky thing. Did I mention information is hard to come by.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member

19 seconds in

• List
  15. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

In the first episode of the new Scott Pilgrim show, Scott talks about the two 93 Sonic cartoons about 6:40 in.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    If I had a nickel for every time Map Men referenced the Game Gear, I'd have two nickels.

At about 9:50

17. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Is this Sega Bass Fishing?

18. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

19. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Sorry to post again, but the thread is on the next page now.

[​IMG]

In the Jamie Foxx show you can see a few Sega Saturn games, including NiGHTS and Fighting Vipers. Anyone know which episode this is?