don't click here

Sega PC Reloaded

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Korama, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Bobblen

Bobblen

It's been condensed into the fps option in sega pc reloaded, basically in the original game, if you set the 60 fps option without motion smoothing, you actually get 30 fps. Spcreloaded lists the actual fps you get and ditches the motion smoothing option entirely.

If you set 60 fps in spcreloaded it should be equivalent to 60fps+motion smoothing in the original. Never really checked if it actually works though!

2. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Yeah, I've definitely got 60fps enabled, but I still have to enable smoothing every time.
    Eh, if it leads to more testing, then I'm glad I could help. :V

3. Jammin'

Jammin'

Extremely into X-Treme Member
    I'm curious, why is the download locked behind a request? Been wanting to mess around with Sonic and Knuckles Collection.

4. DaveDave

DaveDave

It's something Google implemented on Drive links a few years back - I've had a few uploaded files that were fine suddenly need to have the feature removed. I'm guessing OP just hasn't gotten around to, or doesn't use that account anymore.

5. Zilch

Zilch

Weet nie Member
  6. lorn10

lorn10

Hi all

Here follows a nice little update about the current state of Sonic CD and Sega PC Reloaded under Linux. As of August 2023 this works now right out of the box without any additional tweaks and this is true even for the full screen mode. Only an override of the ddraw.dll file is needed, that's it.

Note, this was tested on Kubuntu 22.04 LTS and Wine 8.14.

My installation steps were as follow:

1. Create a new Wine prefix or use an existing one. It doesn't matter if it is a 64 bit or 32 bit prefix.
    2. Once the prefix is created, go to "Settings" and look for the "DLL Overrides" option, add there a new entry for 'ddraw.dll'. It is important to select the Native (Windows) override variant not the Native, Builtin one. There will be a warning that this is not recommended but in our case that can be ignored.
    3. Install the game via Sega PC Reloaded. Note, this is the only part which is still somehow "bulky". When you are selecting the "source destination" which is usually the original optical drive or a virtual image, then you have to select it at the right side of the window not at the left "folder browser" one. This is also true for the install location which was in my case C:\SEGA\SONICCD. Also here, the SONICCD folder will not be recognized as valid until it is selected on the right part of the window. For more details see my Sega_PC_Reloaded_Install screenshot below.
    4. Launch Sonic CD via Sega PC Reloaded.
    5. Play! As mentioned, it is possible to play in windowed mode (alt+1, alt+2 etc) as well as in full screen mode (alt+tab).

Most likely it is recommended to add the original Sonic CD music files into a separate "music" folder like C:\SEGA\SONICCD\music. Modern systems don't have any optical drives anymore. And if Sonic CD is started without any access to the CD it simply won't play the music in the levels which is quite pity. Yes, this can be somehow "workarounded". Linux users can add with the help of AcetoneISO their virtual CD to Wine as an optical drive. But the overall handling is not that handy when the Sega PC Reloaded launcher offers a much simpler and better quality alternative. For that the bass.dll file from here is needed, copy it into the game directory. And the high-quality sound files can be downloaded from GameBanana. Note, it is recommended to use the *.wav format files not the *.flac ones because there is a gstreamer bug in Wine (as of August 2023).

Long story short, in my case the situation looks like as follow. The SegaPCReloaded.exe file is located in the Downloads folder of my home folder. So at the CLI the first command is cd "${HOME}/Downloads/SEGA PC Reloaded". The used Wine prefix is named .Wine64 so the command to launch a program is WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 wine SegaPCReloaded.exe. Ergo, the settings in that Wine prefix can be adjusted with WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 winecfg.

And finally I have added some screenshot in the attachment.

Attached Files:

7. Bobblen

Bobblen

For steam deck, I took a Sega PC Reloaded install I'd already done on windows and dumped it in the documents folder, added it to steam as a non-steam game, then told it to use proton.

Running Sega PC Reloaded through proton you can browse to the 'existing installation' in the documents folder, override ddraw.dll with the usual command line and you're away. Works for CD and 3D at least.

Sonic & Knuckles Collection did not work, I assume Wine doesn't support whatever Sega PC Reloaded is doing to get that game working in particular. Would love to hear from Linux experts for any workaround for that.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Why not just use 3 AIR or Complete? Nostalgia I presume?

9. Bobblen

Bobblen

It's just a quirky 90s port, of a kind you just don't get anymore. It's fun to mess around with. So yeah, basically just nostalgia :-)

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Sonic & Knuckles Collection should work fine even without Sega PC Reloaded, it even runs on modern Windows fine. The only thing you might be missing out on is the fullscreen mode.

11. Bobblen

Bobblen

It has the framerate smoothing as well, it does indeed work on modern windows without it, but I get noticeable skipping when I play it that way.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The mod loader has a better frame timer in it.

13. Bobblen

Bobblen

I was sure I still got the skips with your mod loader (which is awesome by the way), but I will test again, thanks!