don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher

Oh well, it's no big deal. It is funny that this is the only line out of place on all of the results screens though. It seems like the whole results screen would be misaligned or nothing. Thankfully that isn't the case.

2. How exactly does "ending the level" work? What I mean is, does it have to be a Capsule at the end of each of Sonic's levels? Are we able to replace it with something like a Goal Ring?

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There are several times where something that isn't a capsule ends the level, such as Tails' crashed plane in Emerald Coast's first mission, the balloon in all of Amy's levels, etc. One could likely modify the "Chaos Emerald Goal" object to act as a Goal Ring.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The Test Level mod is now a general "AutoDemo Levels" mod, with the inclusion of Speed Highway: At Dawn.

Unfortunately I don't know how the cars work, and I'm too lazy to disable them, so you'll have to watch for flying cars through most of the level.

I also included the camera files from the demo, but they're horribly broken in SADX, so they're not enabled by default. If you really want them, just remove the underscore from the filenames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX1xqsFmzc4

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    This post is probably a bit pointless, but I still wanted to pipe up!

I've seen a lot of the hacking you have done for the community, both here and with Sonic Adventure 2, and I just wanted to thank you for the amazing work you have done for fans like us (who have no knowledge of hacking).

So, thanks MainMemory :D

6. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    As above, just a post to say thanks for the work.

Awesome stuff!!

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Putting it here because I don't think it warrants its own topic and I don't think it's been mentioned (though it likely has XD), is there anyway to fix the thing where the 2004 version auto-closes upon window switch?

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Use windowed mode? I believe the problem is that when you switch away from an exclusive mode (fullscreen) application, the Direct3D device is lost and needs to be recreated, and I believe all the assets have to be recreated as well. SADX doesn't do that, so it just crashes instead. I would love to fix it, but I haven't the slightest clue how.

9. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    0x8C7694D0 is an interesting offset in the original Japanese release. Setting it to 02 will give you this.

[​IMG]

Here's my current list of values for it, still working on it. Not many so far. I've only been testing it from the title and main menus so far, will go in game.

Code (Text):
    1. 00 Sega screen
    2. 01 Empty screen
    3. 02 Debug level select, goes to 03
    4. 03 Empty screen unless triggered by 02
    5. 04 Hedgehog Hammer title card, hangs, crashes debug adapter
    6. 05 Normal gameplay
    7. 06 Empty screen
    8. 07 Empty screen
    9. 08 Sonic Team logo
    10. 09 Hedgehog Hammer title card, hangs, crashes debug adapter
    11. 0A Title
    12. 0B Used when on the title and in the menus
    13. 0C Empty screen
    14. 0D Empty screen
    15. 0E Loads recap screen, hangs after
    16. 0F Loads tutorial for Sonic, then a recap screen, then the Egg Carrier, finally crashes (Write error at 0x8C0F1484)
    17. Game sets this to 0F when you select Sonic from the character select, it functions normally in that instance
    18. 10 Loads tutorial for Sonic, then Station Square. Begins Sonic's story
    19. 11 Causes a reset
    20. 12 Sonic's credits
    21. 13 Causes a reset
    22. 14 Empty screen
    23. 15 Empty screen
    24. 16 Empty screen
    25. 17 Empty screen
    26. 18 Empty screen
    27. 19 Empty screen
    28. 1A Empty screen
    29. 1B Empty screen
    30. 1C Empty screen
    31. 1D Empty screen
    32. 1E Empty screen
    33. 1F Empty screen

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like I should see Sonic/Miles in the background.

11. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    0x8C768B38 in the autodemo...

[​IMG]

EDIT: Title uses 02, you have to change it to 02 during a cutscene for the level select.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The International version doesn't have any of those strings, but the US version does...

13. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    0x8C7649F0 in the US version.

Replace the 8C with 2C if you're going to use Demul and Cheat Engine.

14. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    After, like, 10 years of playing the PC version of SADX on and off, I only just learned that pressing E snaps the camera behind your character. XD Out of curiosity, is it possible to adjust the camera offsets for when this key is pressed? (I.e. if I wanted to make the height closer to the ground or more zoomed out/in or whatever.)

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    This should probably go on TCRF if you can get a PNG screenshot.

Probably, but the E key seems to be handled separately from everything else so I really don't know where to look.

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Does the menu do anything? In either version?

17. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    The menu functions, doesn't seem to allow anything other than selecting a level and character however. I'm wondering if there may be some values related to this that would help determine what mode to load, since I only found Sonic's credits and Sonic's recap screens.

I'll sort the screenshots soon.

18. MainJp

MainJp

Tx
    I shall check this out, it's interesting that were still finding new things from Sonic Adventure.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I would assume that the game checks the "current character" value to determine whose credits or recaps to show.

20. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Yep, going to have to go hunt for that value now. What is the "current character" address in the US version?

EDIT: Added images and info to TCRF articles.